Rotterdam - SA March 4 money question

swmrgrl

What type of currency is used at the different ports when cruising around South America? We start in Rio and end in Valparaiso. Can you get by with US $ or should you have a little of local currency? Can you get it on the ship?

Currency exchange was not available on the Amsterdam (Christmas/New Years '04). However, $US are accepted everywhere from Rio to Santiago. I took some local currencies - they can make things a little easier.

We have found that we make out better by using ATMs in port. Just make sure before you leave that your bank's network is available in SA. It is cheaper and the exchange rates are better than what you can get on the ship which BTW does assess a surcharge for currency conversion.

This worked for us all across Europe.

GN

We were in Brazil last year and found it difficult to find an ATM that accepted our card. (We tried 4 different machines in a mall in Campinas before we found one and it was a real chore trying to navigate it in another language. Some of the ATMs only had Portuguese and Spanish so brush up!) I believe the one that worked was Banco Bradesco - The ATM's are red and the outside of their banks have red signs. Also there are HSBC Banks there - I think I have seen those in FL so they might be worth a try.

Archived