Looking for SHADE - Blue Lagoon or Balmoral?

Jeannebeanny1

Hi, we’re cruising in July with my 2 teenage boys and 75 year old Mom. We want to do one of the above beach day excursions, possibly with animal encounter. So, my mom gets around fine but she really needs a more shady area vs the boys who will be in the water. Which has the better options for shade? I’m almost thinking about getting a cabana at Balmoral just for the cover even though I’ve read theyre not that great. Also does either have lockers? 

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

• 1 month later...

Originally we were going to Blue Lagoon just for beach for around $45 each but switched to VIP cabana at Balmoral shortly before we went two weeks ago.  Price was $208 for 2 and $335 for 4 through Royal Caribbean.  Cabana could have easily handled 6, but not sure they could be booked that way.  They have around 18 cabanas and on our day only two were booked.

Ride over was from just outside pier on a large catamaran ferry and a bit slow.  Rides back were on whatever ferry happened to be there (ours was faster boat) on the half hour and dropped just outside the secure area across from the straw market.  We got our bands when we checked in on the pier.  You did NOT have to go back on a specific ferry.

Cabana attendant met us at the end of the pier and walked us 100' to our cabana.  She came back a bit later to tell us what was available on the property.  Cabanas are adjacent to the two pools, but anyone can use the pools.  Bathrooms ok, a bit junky.  If you were buying food, be prepared for a $22 burger or similar.  Swimming area is nice sand facing the resorts on the main island, lots of loungers, some shade.  Snorkeling poor since all sand - some fish around the rocks that create the little bays.  Didn't do any of the dolphin or ray encounters.  Some beach activities like volleyball, but not as much as at some other resorts.  Teens might get bored there.

Cabanas have two couches and a large table in the shade, and four loungers out in the sun.  Steps down to the beach and water.  The REAL advantage of the cabana is the extras - bottle of champagne, two bottles of water, two drinks from bar, couple bags of chips, and any item on the food menu.  DW wanted just fries but can't order that way.  So she got a 1/2 pound burger and huge order of fries.  I had huge pulled pork sandwich and huge order of fries.  Could have easily shared either meal.

If you drink a lot, Balmoral might not be a good choice but if half a bottle of champagne and a single drink are enough, go for the cabana.

20190408_112559.jpg

DSCN0196.JPG

DSCN0204.JPG

DSCN0205.JPG

On 4/22/2019 at 3:04 PM, LeeW said:

Originally we were going to Blue Lagoon just for beach for around $45 each but switched to VIP cabana at Balmoral shortly before we went two weeks ago.  Price was $208 for 2 and $335 for 4 through Royal Caribbean.  Cabana could have easily handled 6, but not sure they could be booked that way.  They have around 18 cabanas and on our day only two were booked.

Ride over was from just outside pier on a large catamaran ferry and a bit slow.  Rides back were on whatever ferry happened to be there (ours was faster boat) on the half hour and dropped just outside the secure area across from the straw market.  We got our bands when we checked in on the pier.  You did NOT have to go back on a specific ferry.

Cabana attendant met us at the end of the pier and walked us 100' to our cabana.  She came back a bit later to tell us what was available on the property.  Cabanas are adjacent to the two pools, but anyone can use the pools.  Bathrooms ok, a bit junky.  If you were buying food, be prepared for a $22 burger or similar.  Swimming area is nice sand facing the resorts on the main island, lots of loungers, some shade.  Snorkeling poor since all sand - some fish around the rocks that create the little bays.  Didn't do any of the dolphin or ray encounters.  Some beach activities like volleyball, but not as much as at some other resorts.  Teens might get bored there.

Cabanas have two couches and a large table in the shade, and four loungers out in the sun.  Steps down to the beach and water.  The REAL advantage of the cabana is the extras - bottle of champagne, two bottles of water, two drinks from bar, couple bags of chips, and any item on the food menu.  DW wanted just fries but can't order that way.  So she got a 1/2 pound burger and huge order of fries.  I had huge pulled pork sandwich and huge order of fries.  Could have easily shared either meal.

If you drink a lot, Balmoral might not be a good choice but if half a bottle of champagne and a single drink are enough, go for the cabana.

20190408_112559.jpg

DSCN0196.JPG

DSCN0204.JPG

DSCN0205.JPG

Wow that is expensive! I was thinking of booking there but I think you have changed my mind. Thank you for posting!

• 2 weeks later...