NCL App and Kids

ferg42995

OK. Follow me on this. We are downloading the NCL app on my 13 year-old daughter's phone so we can text each other while on the ship.

To use the app, you must create an NCL account.

To create an NCL account, you must be over age 14.

You can't tweak the birthdate because then it doesn't match the reservation and it won't work.

For those of you who have a teen or child under age 14, HOW did you use the app to text each other while on the ship?  Because there has to be a work around. I called NCL and they don't know what to do and plan to run the concern up the chain to be addressed. 

It doesn't make sense to have a policy you can't create the account until 14 yet 13 year olds go to Entourage which they specifically tell you teens come and go as they wish. So the youngest of teens are the only one who can't communicate with their parents. HA!

One idea:  If you’re traveling with more than one adult maybe the 13yo takes someone else’s phone to the club.  If the phone is worth more than your cabin maybe use an old phone to load the other app.    You can put the app on different devices.    

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did you ever figure this out? We're sailing this week and I have the same question. I just spoke to customer service at NCL to ask, and they said there's currently no way to text with a minor, and that when I get on board I should ask to speak to the manager of the internet cafe. Has anyone successfully communicated with their minor children? My son is only 10, and according to the website, they'll allow him to check himself out of kids camp, but there's no way for him to contact me to tell me where he's going? Seems a little off...

22 minutes ago, silyse said:

Did you ever figure this out? We're sailing this week and I have the same question. I just spoke to customer service at NCL to ask, and they said there's currently no way to text with a minor, and that when I get on board I should ask to speak to the manager of the internet cafe. Has anyone successfully communicated with their minor children? My son is only 10, and according to the website, they'll allow him to check himself out of kids camp, but there's no way for him to contact me to tell me where he's going? Seems a little off...

We are just off the Jade and bravely left our 8-year-old who hates breakfast in the room with one of our phones.   She was able to text as needed for the brief times we were separated. At 8, she wasn't wandering around alone but it was easy to stay in contact.    (We also set the door notices to do not disturb, so the staff wouldn't find her alone.)

What is the use of phone texting while on board if you can't contact your children??? They are the only ones you should be concerned about...and since when can a 10 year old check themselves out of kids camp???  My husband is a perpetual 10 yr old fifth grader...and I roll my eyes thinking about where he could end up !! and has...in the past...especially on shore trips behind signs that say " do not enter"😲

15 hours ago, silyse said:

We were on Epic 2 weeks ago.  Once you get on board, parents can grant permission for under 14 year olds to use the App.  Make sure you download the App onto their device before you leave.  We brought my old phone and downloaded the app for my 10 year old so he could be on the group texts.  It's $10 for the week and works off the ship WIFI- so you can use old phone or iPod.

6 hours ago, teesmc said:

We were on Epic 2 weeks ago.  Once you get on board, parents can grant permission for under 14 year olds to use the App.  Make sure you download the App onto their device before you leave.  We brought my old phone and downloaded the app for my 10 year old so he could be on the group texts.  It's $10 for the week and works off the ship WIFI- so you can use old phone or iPod.

Is that $10 per phone for each person in your cabin to text each other, or $10 for the whole family in the cabin?

On 4/18/2019 at 8:36 AM, teesmc said:

Just off of the star, We didn't try it with our 8 year old this trip but there was a child access option in the app that showed up once connected to the ship wifi.