Cruising... cheap??

Danno

The following is an observation....not a complaint.

I keep hearing about how cheap cruising is today and as a result we must put up with all the other revenue generators on our cruise....but for those of us who have to book well ahead, can't take "last minute" packages, or leave on two weeks notice, it's not really cheap, good value perhaps, but not cheap.

Jill and I pay, for a Cat 3, about $1900 for 9 day cruise...or $422 per day for our cabin and meals...I don't see that as "cheap".

I know the cruiselines "dump" a lot of cabins and as a result they have to make up that margin by increasing prices of drinks, services, and offering less for "free"...problem is people like us don't get the price break, but we pay the increased fees that subsidize the "dumped" cabins...looks like we pay twice.

Price wars don't benefit those who can't do battle.

But......

You can get some givebacks from the line....

$ in ship credit for booking your next trip while on board.

$ in ship credit for having stock.

$ for being in Captains club getting some perks.

$ for knowing how to find the soft spots on the ship.

$ back for booking early as the prices usually go up a bit as time goes by ... But then drops if the cruise is not a popular one - at the end. Cabin Dumping.

We also doom ourselves sometimes going as a group and finding others to go with you as you push normal cabin occupancy rates higher earlier in the cruise booking time.

But there is a solution....

Make everyone who is thinking of a cruise to frequent these boards.

Have Newt book the cruise so there will be less on the ship.

Pick up the cheep cabins at the end because you can bank on others not wanting to cruise with him.

This has the opposite effect when Lois, Char, Marti, Phil, and a few others cruise. Then it's a full ship and the price goes up.

When we compare what we paid for our first cruise versus salary at that time and what we pay now versus our current salary, cruising is cheap now. Our first cruise cost a higher percentage of our salary than the same cruise today. If I look at a comparable Celebrity cruise to our 1992 cruise, the actual price of the cruise today is about the same that we actually paid in 1992.

There is good and bad in booking early or last minute. I have never had a problem with X if the price goes down after book to have the difference credited back to my credit card. AS with booking ahead. I have seen the prices of my two upcoming cruises go up, not down. The 9 day Mexican Riviera was booked at 1530.00 pp last year and is now up to 2080.00 pp a month and a half before the cruise. Also the Alaska cruise was booked at 1500.00 pp and is now 1900.00 pp.

As for the lines dumping cruises, I have to wonder how much of it is reallt TA's dumping their blocks.

I know of someone in the ticket (scalping as I call it) business, and when they are about to eat their overpriced tickets they dump them to recoup SOME of their expenses.

On the other hand add in airfare to even out the playing field. I always book ahead with SouthWest. This past cruise (2 day to Cococay) I booked the flights as soon as they were available for $49.00 each way Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale...and no that is not a misprint. It was $99.00 round trip because I booked in advance. Being said I had some frineds want to come along about a week before the cruise. Inside room was $200.00 pp, cheapest airfare $365 rt. . needless to say they waited too long and felt it was too much for airfare for a 2 day cruise.

Had they booked when I did it would have been 180.00 pp for the cabin and 99.00 for the air.. $279.00 for the entire trip as opposed to waiting for a 'deal' as they call it and having to pay $565.00 or double.

Bottom line is, regardless of the cost, If someone wants something badly enough...they'll get it:D

Dave:eek:

I own a business and Jill can't book vacation that far ahead...good point doesn't work in our case.

$ in ship credit for having stock.

What investments I have won't be in an industry run primarily by people who once ran airlines!!

Giggle...:D

Name one...really I want to know.

$ back for booking early as the prices usually go up a bit as time goes by ... But then drops if the cruise is not a popular one - at the end. Cabin Dumping.

If you have to book air from Canada, hotel rooms in transit, co-ordinate vacations...tough to take advantage of any "deals".

I heard a rumor (from our TA). We recently booked a Bermuda cruise outside stateroom category 6 for $890/pp. I thought this was an excellent deal. However, I was told from our TA that had we booked earlier we would have recevied a better deal. That X nows gives better deals the earlier you book and the "last minute deals" no longer exist.

Does anyone find this to be true?

Danno,

I guess you have to factor in what you are receiving for that per day charge. Where I live, Northern California, an Ocean-front or ocean view room in a four or five star hotel can easily top $300.00-$400.00 per night. Add meals, exciting ports of call and entertainment, that amount can even double. So the prices for cruising vs. land based vacations, while not "cheap," are a wonderful value, IMHO. That is why we have chosen to make cruising our first choice in vacation planning.

Happy Cruising,

Tim

Danno,

Where I live, Northern California, an Ocean-front or ocean view room in a four or five star hotel can easily top $300.00-$400.00 per night.

Where I live I can get a beautiful, lake front, 4 star resort for less than half that...depends on the market.

The day I can pick up on a weeks notice, grab a "dumped" cabin and sail for 10 days...then I can pay even $10 a beer and be WAY AHEAD...for now, I buy both the cabin and the beer at the higher price, while subsidizing the "bargain" fares...maybe the cruise line should deduct 20% from the onboard accts for all those who paid full rate...I've gotta get out of here for a few minutes, I think there's an oxygen problem here :D

The following is an observation....not a complaint.

I keep hearing about how cheap cruising is today and as a result we must put up with all the other revenue generators on our cruise....but for those of us who have to book well ahead, can't take "last minute" packages, or leave on two weeks notice, it's not really cheap, good value perhaps, but not cheap.

Jill and I pay, for a Cat 3, about $1900 for 9 day cruise...or $422 per day for our cabin and meals...I don't see that as "cheap".

I know the cruiselines "dump" a lot of cabins and as a result they have to make up that margin by increasing prices of drinks, services, and offering less for "free"...problem is people like us don't get the price break, but we pay the increased fees that subsidize the "dumped" cabins...looks like we pay twice.

Price wars don't benefit those who can't do battle.

As someone who takes many land based vacations, in addition to cruises, I consider that to be dirt cheap for what you are actually getting. On a land based vacation at an upscale hotel, a couple can easily pay more than $300 per night for their room, in addition to several hundred dollars a day to eat at upscale restaurants. Of course, a couple could, also, stay at a two star best Western Hotel in the middle of nowhere and eat their meals at mediocre chain restaurants or diners for less than a cruise, but that is comparing apples to oranges.

Almost every cruise we take is $1,000 or less and we drive to the port..only taking cruises out of Florida. Where else can you get hotel, transportation, food and entertainment for $1,000. a week and get a change of scenery every day? We don't drink and we don't gamble so we feel it is a wonderful bargain, and usually we have onboard credit to pay the tips.

stay at a two star best Western Hotel in the middle of nowhere and eat their meals at mediocre chain restaurants or diners for less than a cruise, but that is comparing apples to oranges.

Yup...me and the old lady and all the youngins love to stay at the Y and eats at that there MACDONALDS place...

I stay at Fairmount hotels...does that measure up??

It is a losing battle so I guess you'll have to surrender ... besides, I thought your cruise was free with your "non smoking money".

Cute...I don't know how it's relative...but it's cute.

It might measure up... but it doesn't add up. If you staying in Fairmont Hotels, then why does $420/day, which includes room, transportation and meals for 2 people on a cruise ship, seem expensive?

It might measure up... but it doesn't add up. If you staying in Fairmont Hotels, then why does $420/day, which includes room, transportation and meals for 2 people on a cruise ship, seem expensive?

Transportation?? Air, taxes, tips, hotels, bar, excursions, laundry, transfers, insurance, cabs, parking, all on TOP on of the dollar figure I quoted....I didn't say it was poor value, I said it wasn't cheap.

Cute...I don't know how it's relative...but it's cute.

thanks for the compliment...

Quoting you from your earlier thread titled "Free Cruise".... "Once on board I will toast the Canadian government and the cigarette companies for making this cruise possible."

Maybe the people who are getting those cheap deals are smokers, and it all evens out in the long run. You subsidize their cruise, they subsidize your taxes. Just trying to make you feel better;)

Transportation?? Air, taxes, tips, hotels, bar, excursions, laundry, transfers, insurance, cabs, parking, all on TOP on of the dollar figure I quoted....I didn't say it was poor value, I said it wasn't cheap.

Transportation...meaning that the cruise ship transports you to a different location each day.

No, it's not cheap, but it's all relative...based on what you can afford and what your tastes are.

"Cheap" is a relative term...

What's "cheap" to me may be a life's savings for some other soul...

What's expensive to me may be pocket change to some...

I've stayed in hotels (try the Rancho Valencia in Rancho Santa Fe, CA sometime) where the bill was $1300 a night...and I've stayed in some that cost me $60 a night...

I've eaten at restaurants where my dinner tab comes to over $150 per person...and I've spent $4 per person for fast food at a burger stand...

I've taken vacations where I've checked into luxury resorts in Maui or Cancun and ate out at expensive restaurants every day...And I've taken vacations where I've thrown the tent and sleeping bags in the car along with an ice chest full of groceries and a propane stove and camped out at a National Park campground...

So, where does ANY cruise fall on the scale of "cheap"?

If you compare it to that camping trip, it's danged expensive...

If you compare it to a week at the Grand Wailea or the Rancho Valencia, it's a danged bargain...

So, when you look at the RELATIVE cost of a cruise vacation, you first have to figure out what you're comparing it to...

For the guy who goes camping...or who vacations at the Motel 6 in Fresno, sure, cruises are no way "cheap"...

But, if you compare it to a more similar experience...going to resort or exotic locations, staying in a place with great amenities, eating very well with great service, having a variety of available entertainment and activities...then, face it, you are not comparing it to that dirt cheap type of vacation...

So, let's say I was to take a Mexican Riviera cruise (easiest to compare for me as a SoCal denizen--no airfare to put into the cruise equation)...the cost of my cruise is whatever it is...typically between $700 per person and $1500 per person, depending on time of year, type of cabin not including suites and other factors...Fair to say with tips, shore excursions, bar bill, etc., my cost for two will fall between $2000 and $4000 for a one week cruise...

Let's say instead of that cruise for 2 to 4K, we want to try to duplicate it in a seven-night "land" vacation...First, give up visiting three ports (too difficult and expensive) and pick one...let's say Puerto Vallarta...I plugged some arbitrary March-April dates into Travelocity and found the cheapest nonstop flights on America West at $697 per person...So, basically, $1400 for two...

Now, for hotels, the Westin goes for $350 per night, the Sheraton Buganvillas about $200, the Fiesta Americana starts at $261...Pretty much the range of 4-5 star (trust me, you're not staying in less than a 4 star in Mexico) hotels seems to be $200 to $350...Times 7 nights, that's $1400 to $2500 plus taxes...Let's say your hotel costs $2000 for the week...So, we're up to $3400 for air and hotel and we haven't even eaten yet...and how about activities and entertainment...and tips...

Clearly, that comparable land vacation will take you way over the high end of the range of the standard cruise vacation...

So, does that make the cruise vacation "cheap"? Really not, but it does make it a far greter value...

Now, I do get the sense that what Danno is really complaining about is "cheap" as it concerns HIS cruises in relation to other cruise deals...

That is a whole different matter...and I can empathize there...We MUST cruise during school vacation breaks due to my wife's employment...and we must do some advance notice or planning--can't just suddenly take off on a few days' notice...So, we, too, can't grab those low, low off-season fares and we can't grab the last-minute specials...So, we're not cruising for $50 a day like some folks...but that's okay with me...I've learned to be satisfied with what I can get...which often means a RELATIVE bargain, though not just downright cheap...

And, if it costs me a couple of bucks extra in my drink prices, I still don't give a dang...

Are arguing my point or making my point??

Well, since we don't spend anything on the other revenune makers you mentioned, I am saying it is a bargain. 2 x $1000 divided by 7 days is

$285 which is considerably less than a hotel room plus food, etc.

So, we're not cruising for $50 a day like some folks...but that's okay with me...I've learned to be satisfied with what I can get...which often means a RELATIVE bargain, though not just downright cheap...

Good post Steve... esp. the part about learning to be satisfied.

But......

-- I just heard about this one, and missed out on it on our last cruise. :( Sounds good.

--Well, some SMALL perks.:)

--I do not know what you mean by this; could you perhaps explain?:confused:

Yup...me and the old lady and all the youngins love to stay at the Y and eats at that there MACDONALDS place...

Danno, you have quoted part of my response out of context and consequently distorted the intent of my post. I was merely questioning your statement that $1900 for two people for a nine night cruise aboard a premium ship is more expensive than a land based vacation. Based on my experience, it is not because if the two of you took a nine day land based vacation instead, where you stayed at an upscale hotel or resort, and dined at upscale restaurants, it would cost significantly more than what you are paying for this cruise.

Danno, you have quoted part of my response out of context and consequently distorted the intent of my post. I was merely questioning your statement that $1900 for two people for a nine night cruise aboard a premium ship...

$1900 per person (my wording could have been better)....and the rest was just having a bit of fun....

Archived