Helsinki Questions

ama

We are arriving in Helsinki via the NCL Getaway this July and scheduled to dock at West Harbour (LCD) from 8 - 5. We are a family of 7. My mom has some mobility issues, she can’t stand or walk for extended periods of time, so I’m trying to figure out the best way to get into the city center area.

We are most interested in visiting Market Square and Esplandi (food and shopping), and Senate Square/Helsinki Cathedral. If we have time, we may do the Rock Church.

1. Last year, NCL offered a shuttle for $15 a person. It takes you to makasiiniterminaali. Is this very close to Senate Square/Market Square?

2. Are we better off taking 2 taxis into town

and back? Are they readily available? Does anyone know the approximate cost?

3. Does anyone recommend HOHO bus? Did you pre-purchase tickets? Do they run continuously back and forth between the city center and West Harbour?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. 

18 hours ago, ama said:

We are arriving in Helsinki via the NCL Getaway this July and scheduled to dock at West Harbour (LCD) from 8 - 5. We are a family of 7. My mom has some mobility issues, she can’t stand or walk for extended periods of time, so I’m trying to figure out the best way to get into the city center area.

The berth code is actually LHD...

18 hours ago, ama said:

We are most interested in visiting Market Square and Esplandi (food and shopping), and Senate Square/Helsinki Cathedral. If we have time, we may do the Rock Church.

1. Last year, NCL offered a shuttle for $15 a person. It takes you to makasiiniterminaali. Is this very close to Senate Square/Market Square?

Yes, Makasiiniterminaali is almost next to the Market Square and Esplanade starts from the Market Square, while Senate Square is one block away from the Market Square.

18 hours ago, ama said:

2. Are we better off taking 2 taxis into town

and back? Are they readily available? Does anyone know the approximate cost?

I guess also instead of two "normal" taxis, a taxi van with enough seats for whole group could work. There is a taxi stand in Hernesaarenranta and I would assume there probably is some taxis present whenever a cruise ship arrives to West Harbour, although I really don't have first hand experience. Also instead of picking a cab from the taxi rank, it is of course possible to reserve a ride in advance either by calling or using a smart phone app. I'm afraid I'm not familiar what sort of fare to expect, especially as taxi fares in Finland were deregulated last summer (this linked article lists also some links to various taxi companies operating in Helsinki).

18 hours ago, ama said:

3. Does anyone recommend HOHO bus? Did you pre-purchase tickets? Do they run continuously back and forth between the city center and West Harbour?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. 

I believe HOHO busses are stopping there too and at least the regular Helsinki region public transportation bus route 14 has its terminus in Hernesaari, although that bus line does not go to Market or Senate Square, so one must switch to another bus or tram route to get there. See HSL route planner for more information about what sort of public transport options you can take to reach the places where you want to go.

Thank you so much. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for. We are doing a combination of private tours and DYI for our Baltic Cruise. 

The HSL route planner is very helpful, if you want to use public transit. From the LHD terminal, the only public transit is bus 14 going in the direction of Pajamaki. You could take it to the 10th stop, Bulevardi, which is the closest to Esplandi but likely too far to walk for your mom. Market Square is even further away.

To avoid walking, take bus 14 to the 4th stop at Hernesaarenkatu and then switch to bus 17 in the direction of Kallio.

The closet stop to Market Square for bus 17 is the 8th stop at Pohj Makasiinikatu. It is on the same street as the Makasiiniterminaali but closer to Market Square.

Tickets are bought on the bus only with cash, up to a 20 Euro note. An all day pass is 9 Euro, and is good on the bus, tram and the public ferry to Suomenlinna Island. Single tickets are also available from the driver. If you do use the bus, leave enough time to make the connection between bus 17 and bus 14 on the return trip

Bus 17 only goes with long intervals. Instead I recommend you get off bus 14 at stop "Tehtaanpuisto/Fabriksparken", that would be the 7th stop. It's next to a church with a high tower. Then continue forward along tehtaankatu street about 30 yards  to the tram 3 stop in front of a old yellow house (Eira hospital).

The #3 tram will take you direct to the Market Square. Exit at stop "Kauppatori/Salutorget". Note it will change number to #2 on the way in case you want to return the same way.

Edited by Ultima Thule