Booking optional tours on Viking Homelands cruise

Ziegler29

I am trying to decide between a PV stateroom or a DV stateroom for our 2020 Homelands cruise. The main reason to choose the PV is to be able to purchase optional tours earlier. Is this necessary?  Wondered how available the tours are for the DV staterooms? Thank you in advance.

Edited by Ziegler29

I booked several optional excursions on Homelands from the V category, the last to book.  Friends did also, and the husband had to be on a waiting list for one excursion but got in a few days before the excursion.  We did all get up and book at 3:00 am, when our window opened.  We later took a up-sell (upgrade at a lower cost) to a PV1, and we loved those cabins.  To us the cabin space is the reason to book a PV, not the opportunity to book excursions earlier.  I recently booked optionals from the DV category and had no trouble getting what I wanted.  

3 hours ago, soundcruiser said:

I got all of our first choices at the DV booking date - did stay up ( we are in the Pacific time zone) to book right at opening, though!

3 hours ago, soundcruiser said:

I got all of our first choices at the DV booking date - did stay up ( we are in the Pacific time zone) to book right at opening, though!

Thank you! I’ll be up doing the same no matter the time.

37 minutes ago, frenchhorn said:

I booked several optional excursions on Homelands from the V category, the last to book.  Friends did also, and the husband had to be on a waiting list for one excursion but got in a few days before the excursion.  We did all get up and book at 3:00 am, when our window opened.  We later took a up-sell (upgrade at a lower cost) to a PV1, and we loved those cabins.  To us the cabin space is the reason to book a PV, not the opportunity to book excursions earlier.  I recently booked optionals from the DV category and had no trouble getting what I wanted.  

Thanks! This makes me feel better about getting the excursions I want while booking a DV. 

2 hours ago, frenchhorn said:

I would totally agree!   We had a DV room on the Homelands cruise last May.  Just had to stay up til midnight and got all the tours we wanted.   We just got done with a PV room cruise and definitely the space does make a difference.

17 hours ago, moatenote said:

If it won't break the bank, we highly recommend getting a PV cabin.  The extra space is wonderful and the closet is over across from the bathroom and NOT next to the bed. 

We have always been in PV (4 VO cruises) and love the size and space and the accessibility having the closet in the entry hall gives us!  We (two females) always have extra space in the drawers ... last trip we had one just for dirty clothes .  That said, we always find space for everything on the river cruises as well so I am sure you will fine the DV perfectly adequate. 

12 minutes ago, molymoo said:

We have always been in PV (4 VO cruises) and love the size and space and the accessibility having the closet in the entry hall gives us!  We (two females) always have extra space in the drawers ... last trip we had one just for dirty clothes .  That said, we always find space for everything on the river cruises as well so I am sure you will fine the DV perfectly adequate. 

Thanks for the thoughts. We decided to go with the DV. We’ve been on two Viking River Cruises and were fine. This is our first ocean cruise with Viking so we’ll see how it goes. Very excited about it. 

What time do the tour bookings open?  We have 10 more days to wait but we are wondering when to get online.  The problem is we will be traveling out of the country that day so need to figure the time difference.

19 minutes ago, Kylie said:

What time do the tour bookings open?  We have 10 more days to wait but we are wondering when to get online.  The problem is we will be traveling out of the country that day so need to figure the time difference.

The day it states that you can book starts at 12:01 am in California.