Minimum transfer time: Hamburg Altona cruise port to HAM airport?

realnamez

Hello all,

In July I have a MSC cruise arrive Altona cruise port at 8am (Sunday) and a flight out 11am sharp from HAM airport. I knew it's tight as MSC suggested 5 hours transfer but I don't have much options. I travel light so I'll be the first group hand carry to disembark. I hope someone who had similar experiences in Hamburg can answer the following questions:

1. Is MSC arrival usually on time? Is disembarkation immediate upon arrival, based on your experiences? How much time is needed to clear custom/passport control in Hamburg (Altona)?

2. Typically do I need to wait for taxi? My past experience in other cruise ports is that there are always plenty taxi waiting, so literally no wait time.

3. My flight is international flight (to non-Schengen destination), so how much time is needed to clear security and passport control (if any) in HAM airport?

These info will help me gauge the chances of missing my flight (already booked) so that I'll setup a plan B.

Thanks!!

But normally the MSC Ships will dock at Steinwerder, that's more than 50 Minutes Taxi to the Airport. Altona ist for the smaller Ships, but the Meraviglia, Preziosa will dock at Steinwerder normaly.

The last time after a cruise to Hamburg on a Sunday I have to wait more than one hour at the airport before the security control, there were more Cruises from Costa, Mein Schiff an MSC in Hamburg and Kiel on this day.

So 3 hours are really, really not a lot of time.

• Like 1

Thanks Nikita4!

Honestly I am not quite sure which cruise port the MSC Orchestra docks. I saw in some posts people mentioned that MSC often use Altona. Looks like I really need to have a plan B if taxi and airport security add up ~2 hours. 

Yeah you are right I just checked and confirmed it's Altona. I don't have any experience with Hamburg so I was just try to figure out if my time budget is realistic: 

1. Dock at 8:00

2. Disembark and clear custom/immigration 8:45 

3. Taxi wait: 9:00

4. Taxi ride to HAM airport: 9:30 (Sunday morning should be rush hour free)

5. Leaving roughly 1 hour for airport security, and 30 minutes wait at gate (buffer time too)

If any of these needs more time I'll be in trouble.

At Altona cruise terminal there are normally enough Taxis waiting. You can also use the App "mytaxi Hamburg". On a Sunday morning 30 minutes taxi ride or less should be realistic  (on a week day in rush hour much longer). If the ship arrives in time you should be able to catch your flight 🙂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, realnamez said:

That's good to know. Thanks puschi1906! I appreciate your feedback as locals.

And thanks for the tip of taxi app! Will definitely check it out.

Are you arriving July 7th? On that day the Orchestra is the only cruise ship in Hamburg. 

• Like 1

Yeah arriving on July 7th. Your info is very helpful! Thank you again! If we are the only ship then we won't be fighting with crowds from other ships for taxi and other resources. And probably shorter lines in airport, hopefully 🙂