Storing luggage in Southampton

nhlangfeld

I have seen conflicting answers to this so I'm hoping someone on here can help me.  I will be taking the Queen Mary 2 TA that arrives in Southampton on 6/14.  I will be spending a month in the UK before getting on the 7/14 TA to NYC.  Is there a place to leave a piece of luggage that I don't want to have to drag around with me (with fancy clothes, that I only need on the ship)?  I did read about a place called LoknStor, but it would be easier to leave it through Cunard.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

59 minutes ago, nhlangfeld said:

I have seen conflicting answers to this so I'm hoping someone on here can help me.  I will be taking the Queen Mary 2 TA that arrives in Southampton on 6/14.  I will be spending a month in the UK before getting on the 7/14 TA to NYC.  Is there a place to leave a piece of luggage that I don't want to have to drag around with me (with fancy clothes, that I only need on the ship)?  I did read about a place called LoknStor, but it would be easier to leave it through Cunard.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Hi New Hampshire (me too).  We store our luggage with Cunard.  It's not cheap, I know loknstor is cheaper but there is some inconvenience associated with using them such as gathering your luggage, getting a cab to the storage place, paperwork and then going on your way.

I'm trying to think of the cost for one piece of luggage with Cunard, maybe $65-$90 depending on the length of time.  Once you sign up you will receive special tags to put on your bag.  You leave it out in the hall with your other luggage and the next time you see it will be on your return transatlantic cruise.  You cannot beat that convenience!

You can schedule this anytime while on your first transatlantic.  You don't have to wait until the notice shows up in the Daily Programme, just go to the purser's desk and sign up for it.  This will be charged to your on board account so if you have OBC...well this is a good way to use it.

If the first person you speak to doesn't know the procedure, just ask for a more senior person to help you (sometimes it happens).

The Baggage Handling Company may also be worth a search as they are in the Terminal can take your bags to storage and return them for the return voyage.  The bags will probably be in your cabin before you are.

We have used them to send from home to ship, very efficient service.

I have used the Cunard luggage storing offer in Southampton several times. I like to book east and west bound crossings that continue for a three or four day excursion to Hamburg or the Low Countries and then returns westbound. That gives the the opportunity to head up to London to see friends and do some shopping before recrossing the Atlantic. The service cost is modest considering the services provided, collection out side your door, storage, and then redelivered to your stateroom.  

We also had Cunard store our suitcase in Southampton on two occasions.  

Very slick, but neither our steward nor the person at the purse's desk initially gave us correct information regarding the procedure--which was a special tag and leave the bag in the hall (just as Cruise NH described).    

Our suitcase appeared without problem a short time after we boarded for the return voyage.

Great service!   Too bad Cunard doesn't provide adequate training, so all employees can answer questions correctly, but the service itself is terrific.

Happy Sailing!

Was the cost of storing the bag charged against the NY to Southampton leg of the journey or was it a charge levied against your return trip?  [I see this was answered above, never mind]

Edited by Folkfan13