Impromptu excursion while in Port

skatie

We've decided to take a relaxed approach to this cruise and I'm not booking any advance excursions at our ports.  Right now our plan is to wander down to Jacks Shack for lunch and swimming.  However, the one thing that interests me is swimming with the Stingrays at Gibbs Cay.  If its a nice sunny day and ocean is calm and we decide once we get off the Ship that we'd like to go to Gibbs Cay, are there vendors right on the beach or at end of the dock that would offer last minute passengers to take a tour?  Is so, what tour companies are reputable (or names to avoid) and any idea if they would only take cash?   Thanks!

Edited by skatie

There are vendors along the way to Jack's.  I'm not sure how good they are or what they may charge.  If he's still around ask for Papa J.  He had offered fishing tours and I think he did snorkeling.  But that was before the hurricanes in 2017.  Used to be on the beach by the old motel/Local Foods place.

Stingrays at Gibbs Cay are in the wild, so you may or may not see them or that many.  Organized guides from reputable diving companies are your best bet.  Most of their offices are in Cockburntown and they need advanced reservations.

Check with your ship's excursion desk as you pull into GT and see if space is available.

Edited by crewsweeper

We were just there on Koningsdam and didn’t have a plan but knew we wanted to snorkel.  We decided the day before to book our excursion through HAL, they used Chukka and it was a great snorkel tour with a stop to see the rays!