Price swings on HAL Site - Common?

kwbtraveler

Is it common to see huge price swings on the HAL site?  Last weekend I was looking at a 13 day Med cruise that priced out at around $4600 for 2 adults and 1 child Cat V on Deck 5 (Koningdam).  Now it’s pricing out at $5311.  I can’t believe.  However, if I go out to an online site where numerous TAs respond it prices out at about $4670 with $75 OBC.  Is this common?

I’d like to book through HAL - does anyone have luck negotiating the lower price with them?

Big swings often occur when a promotion goes on (or off).  Explore4 is a good example.  HAL has figured out that many people are willing to pay more for a cruise with basically free drinks.  I figure $50 per day for Explore4, which in your case is $650 for the 13 day cruise, or almost exactly the difference you saw.  I think HAL added Explore4 to some cruises last week, especially those in 2020 and 2021.

6 minutes ago, kwbtraveler said:

That would make sense; but HAL is offering no perks at all on the cruise.  And, there was nothing advertise on it last weekend either..

Once I find the cruise, I call HAL and start by asking for the best fare with a refundable deposit and then work my way from there with any and all available HAL promos or any codes I might be eligible for, private sales, welcome back, free or reduced 3rd/4th. If HAL is reasonable, I book with them and then I take those numbers and compare with the big box TA's and use a TA comparison tool as well.  The website only ever gives you 2 prices and generally only one has a refundable deposit. So, I just always call.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fatcat04 said:

Once I find the cruise, I call HAL and start by asking for the best fare with a refundable deposit and then work my way from there with any and all available HAL promos or any codes I might be eligible for, private sales, welcome back, free or reduced 3rd/4th. If HAL is reasonable, I book with them and then I take those numbers and compare with the big box TA's and use a TA comparison tool as well.  The website only ever gives you 2 prices and generally only one has a refundable deposit. So, I just always call.

Ok. Does that mean there is likely lower available fares that HAL can quote?  Would that be what the TAs are quoting?

There sale ale now seems to be called “Best Fare”; but again I only see a higher quote than last weekend. 

21 minutes ago, kwbtraveler said:

Ok. Does that mean there is likely lower available fares that HAL can quote?  Would that be what the TAs are quoting?

There sale ale now seems to be called “Best Fare”; but again I only see a higher quote than last weekend. 

Very possibly. At any given time there seem to be a non-refundable deposit fare, a promo fare, and then a more base type fare without the promo but generally higher than the non-refundable. But then there can be other stuff available due to codes or private sales. It is frustrating but until you call, many times you don't have a clue what all is available. Our last cruise we got a silly good deal on a base type refundable deposit fare  (no bells or whistles, no OBC, or complementary anything) by calling HAL direct. Never saw a better price with or without a promo for that category cabin in 7 mos of watching fares.

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Very possibly. At any given time there seem to be a non-refundable deposit fare, a promo fare, and then a more base type fare without the promo but generally higher than the non-refundable. But then there can be other stuff available due to codes or private sales. It is frustrating but until you call, many times you don't have a clue what all is available. Our last cruise we got a silly good deal on a base type refundable deposit fare  (no bells or whistles, no OBC, or complementary anything) by calling HAL direct. Never saw a better price with or without a promo for that category cabin in 7 mos of watching fares.

Thank you!  I give HAL a call then and see what they have to offer. 

• Like 1