Norwegian Bliss Alaskan Cruise- Balcony suite?

cljenkins07

Hi! My family (myself, husband, 8 year old and 3 year old daughter) are going on an Alaskan cruise in June.  Currently we have an interior family room. As you guys know this cruise isn't cheap. However, for 800 dollars I can upgrade to a balcony. Is it really worth it? I don't mind to spend the money if it really would be that much nicer. Thanks in advance!!!

Christina 

So that’s worth it in my book.

1) the views as you’re going down the inside passage

2) Does your 3 year old nap? You can sit on the balcony with a blanket as they nap and enjoy the views, a good book and a coffee.

3) There is only pure night from 11:15-2:45am, so even if the kids go to bed, you can go out and watch for wildlife at dusk.

1 hour ago, AtlantaAlly said:

So that’s worth it in my book.

1) the views as you’re going down the inside passage

2) Does your 3 year old nap? You can sit on the balcony with a blanket as they nap and enjoy the views, a good book and a coffee.

3) There is only pure night from 11:15-2:45am, so even if the kids go to bed, you can go out and watch for wildlife at dusk.

Welp you convinced me! Yes she does occasionally nap, but with the time change and the activity I'm sure she will need to! That sounds amazing!! Thanks so much!

public viewing areas are always swamped on glacier viewing days.  Having your own balcony gives you place to enjoy without the sea of humanity (if you have the option of an Aft balcony, that is ideal, however they swing the ship around so both sides get some time to view)

• 2 weeks later...

My vote is to stay put.  As everyone says Alaska is all about the outside and the only way to see both sides is to get out of your cabin.  Alaska is about adventure.  The Last Frontier.  The Bliss has so many viewing areas and easy access to both sides.  Concentrate only on one side and you only see half the action.  Also the Bliss has so much going on itself.  There is also a kids program so you may have adult time.  You would never have enough time to appreciate both the ship and Alaska if you get the balcony.  Just to many excuses to stay in the balcony cabin.  Save your money and do something spontaneous like a tour.  Weather could also be a factor.  Rain, wind, fog and COLD could make that balcony just a big wet window.  As a cruiser who does Alaska four to eight weeks a season, I have stayed in insides to mini suites and have never had a bad cruise.  But have had bad weather where I really couldn't use my balcony much.  Going back in May for another B2B.

Balcony... if you can stretch to it without crippling yourself or missing out on excursions.

1. It's Alaska, you've paid enough to be there, soak up as much as you can every minute you can.

2. Stars.

3. Personal experience upon entering Glacier Bay - Captain over PA: "Hello everyone, if you look to the port side we are being treated to a group of humpback whales breaching". Walk out on balcony, there they are... (This happened a few times).