How does celebrity handle punta cana when they skip it?

ginger123snaps

We are sailing equinox this saturday.  I have read that punta cana is often skipped.  do they let you know the morning of?  I don't want to get up early for an excursion if its gonna be cancelled....i know we are lazy on vacation.  I have the scape adventure park booked through them...wondering if i can just book the tour once we get off at the port and cancel the one through celebrity?

I called celebrity and was told they let you know the night before but then i read a post here that said they got up ready and early just to be told it was cancelled.

We knew two days beforehand.  Punta Cana was supposed to be our first stop, after two sea days to start our cruise, and the captain let us know during his 10 am announcement that very first sea day.  Because he made the decision so early, we were able to re-route to St. Thomas instead.  Hopefully, the same will happen for you.  If we had been stuck on the ship for three days in a row, I would have been fine but the kids may have gone a bit nutso.

Linda

12 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

We are sailing equinox this saturday.  I have read that punta cana is often skipped.  do they let you know the morning of?  I don't want to get up early for an excursion if its gonna be cancelled....i know we are lazy on vacation.  I have the scape adventure park booked through them...wondering if i can just book the tour once we get off at the port and cancel the one through celebrity?

I called celebrity and was told they let you know the night before but then i read a post here that said they got up ready and early just to be told it was cancelled.

On our recent Eastern Caribbean cruise on Equinox,  we found out days before we were supposed to tender in Punta Cana that we would be going to Samana.  We signed up for a new excursion just minutes after the announcement was made.  

13 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

.....wondering if i can just book the tour once we get off at the port and cancel the one through celebrity?....

It sounds like you mean cancel the Celebrity tour the same day once you are in port?   If so, the answer is that 'Yes' you can cancel but you won't get any money back.    To get a refund, you usually must cancel 24-48 hours in advance of the tour.    

On our 2/16/2019 Punta Cana was cancelled 2 days before we were scheduled to arrive. Samana was substituted on this Eastern itinerary. Shore excursions filled quickly. I heard the cruise before us went to Tortola. I'd research Samana. We had no idea what was available and had no internet to do research so we booked through the ship. Glad we did since it didn't appear there were many options available at the port. This is a tender port also.