Cruise Insurance

bellaa

Where is the best place to get it and what does it cover?

I have cruised several times but DH is nervous about this year's cruise. We will be cruising in early October and he is worried about hurricanes. Not so much as being on the ship when they come, but leaving our house.

Is there any kind of insurance that will cover "there is a hurricane coming towards our area and we don't want to get on the ship?"

thanks in advance!

bella

Try insuremytrip.com the best place to compare prices and coverage.

Your own situation dictates which coverage is most important to you, remember "preexisting conditions" also applies to anyone at home. Ill parents etc. So if your mother with heart disease dies of a heart attack while you are gone that is a pre existing condition.

also you want good medical evacuation coverage and medical care EVEN if you are in the best of health, I have seen too many Healthy people Medivac'd off cruise ships after an injury on board.

you also want good missed flight or missed ship coverage.

So far there is no policy I am aware of that lets you cancel because there is bad weather coming and you don't want to go.

Here's another place to go for travel insurance

http://www.utravelpro.com/newhome2/quotes/quote_all_inc.asp

btw- I didn't see much of any price difference between these type travel insurance sites. I've used Travelex before. Hopefully I'll never need to use the insurance. btw- always check out who the actual underwriter is and how they are rated. You'll be surprised that some of the higher priced insurance offered have underwriters that are not as highly rated as some of the lower priced ones.

I didn't go with highest and not the cheapest either. I bought what I thought I was comfortable with and could live with if needed.

I also noticed that the pricing is tiered, According to what you put in for the total cost of trip effected the policy price significantly. What I mean is there is a sweet spot where if you go over it just a little bit the policy price went up more than you would have thought.

Medical coverage is quite important in foriegn ports of call.

Try insuremytrip.com the best place to compare prices and coverage.

Your own situation dictates which coverage is most important to you, remember "preexisting conditions" also applies to anyone at home. Ill parents etc. So if your mother with heart disease dies of a heart attack while you are gone that is a pre existing condition.

also you want good medical evacuation coverage and medical care EVEN if you are in the best of health, I have seen too many Healthy people Medivac'd off cruise ships after an injury on board.

you also want good missed flight or missed ship coverage.

So far there is no policy I am aware of that lets you cancel because there is bad weather coming and you don't want to go.

Yes, there truly is a supplement which will allow you to "CANCEL FOR ANY REASON". Travelsafe offers one policy. It is also offered as an add-on to Berkley Care cruise insurance offered by at least all Carnival corp cruises and maybe other cruise lines, if they sell Berkley Care. There are other companies that also offer the supplement.

It is NOT cheap (ADDITIONAL $250.00+ per policy) and some of the policies do NOT offer a full refund. Travelsafe is only 75% reimbursement of non-refundable charges. AND you can cancel no LATER than 2 days pre cruise. So that doesn't work very well in a hurricane situation.

https://www.tmtsf.com/TravelSafe/925/index.php?

IMHO, I would either decide to cruise during hurricane season and just buy regular travel insurance or NOT cruise during hurricane season.

If insurance will not cover specifically what I need it to, should I even bother? I never have before.

Thanks!

Did you read my reply? just because you never fell down or was injured before does that mean it won't or can't happen to you? do you have the between 50K and 150K it takes to be evacuated? do you have the cash to pay any medical expenses you might need before you can leave another country?

Is there no family member at home that anything COULD happen to that might make you need to fly home quickly?

If you miss your flight do to weather can you afford to fly on to another port to catch up to the ship?

NO ONE should ever travel with out travel ins coverage. it only takes ONE incident to put you in debt for the rest of your life.

Greatam,

glad to see there is one even if expensive, though of course you don't get back the premiums either if you cancel, even if you cancel within the cruise ship no penalty period, never thought that one was very fair myself. Since the insurance company is then assuming no risk at all but still getting your money.

Travelsafe is only 75% reimbursement of non-refundable charges. AND you can cancel no LATER than 2 days pre cruise. So that doesn't work very well in a hurricane situation.

That is actually really not bad. 75% is better than nothing and Carnival said they didn't have anything. 2 days, when waiting for a hurricane is not bad either. You can get a decent idea of the track by then and make a decision. I just used the quick quote at travel safe and it was less than $200 for the four of us to get 75% back.

Thanks for the tip!

bella

Archived