Hulled Balconies

dawn Feb 2

Sorry - I don't know how to post the picture. But, we were very nervous about having a framed balcony - but ended up loving it. On windy days you can still sit out there and read since the framing shields you from quite a bit of the wind. There is total privacy, as your neighbors cannot poke their heads around the 'corner'. You can even dry your bathing suit on the chairs out there without it blowing overboard. And best of all, it is less expensive than the open balconies!

If someone can tell me how to post the pic I will be glad to try.

We have 9010 on the Jewel - Does anyone know if that room has a "hulled" balcony? I am split on the pros and cons. On a regular balcony do you get enough sun for sun bathing or are they shaded?

Thanks

You'll find framed balconies on all the NCL Star/Jewel class ships. They include all the balcony cabin classifications except BA. Every starboard and port facing balcony cabin on deck 8 is framed. On decks 9 and 10 just a few forward cabins have framed balconies. The framed balcony cabins on deck 11 are not available for passengers.

Here's a closeup photo showing the framed balconies.

Jewel_closeup.jpg

Ours was the Jewel - deck 8 - cabin 8538 I think. It was a regular balcony cabin - cat. BD I believe.

Really? Cabin 8538 is on the same level as the boats, forward of the boats, and it has a framed balcony.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know that we loved our hulled balcony on the Dawn. We were able to use the balcony for the whole cruise...very little wind & very private. However, when we docked in NY in the blizzard we did have a good bit of snow built up on our chairs!

I would opt for the hulled balcony again if given the chance!

We also had a hulled balcony on the 2/2 dawn cruise and we also loved it. Like you said lots of privacy and lots less wind. Although the trip home i dont think it much mattered lol. We would opt for this type again also.....hope everyone on this cruise made it home safe....we did and we definitely enjoyed ourselves blizzard and all......Cyndi

Hi.. I'm trying to figure out if our stateroom is open or hulled too. We are in 10514 on the Jewel. We are the 5th cabin back after the penthouse suite. By the looks of the picture we might have a hulled balcony unless the suite is included in those side balconies, then I think we'd be open. I'm actually kinda hoping for a hulled.. we're traveling with out 4 year old and even though I'm sure the open ones are just as safe... just the 'vision' of it closed puts my mind at ease, lol. Anyone know for sure? Thanks

still wondering if you get enough sun to sunbathe on the hulled balconies....thanks

I think it depends on where your balcony is ....our balcony was 8550 on the dawn and i would say at least some of the time the sun was good for sunbathing and if it was for one you could definitely find a nice sunny spot...two could get a little cramped if you are fighting for sun.lol Overall I would do a hulled balcony again i loved it.....Cyndi

Archived