Tahiti Versus Hawaii

IRIS FAYE

I have been to Hawaii. I enjoyed it but wasn't all that crazy about it. Is there a big difference between Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc. to Hawaii? I guess what I am wondering is if Tahiti is much much muc much better than Hawaii? Seems to be a wonderful place to see, but if I am looking for a much better cruise; is Tahiti definitly much better than Hawaii? Are the excursions there really interesting or is it a good place for R & R? Thanks all!!!!!!!! Iris

I have been to Hawaii. I enjoyed it but wasn't all that crazy about it. Is there a big difference between Tahiti, Bora Bora, etc. to Hawaii? I guess what I am wondering is if Tahiti is much much muc much better than Hawaii? Seems to be a wonderful place to see, but if I am looking for a much better cruise; is Tahiti definitly much better than Hawaii? Are the excursions there really interesting or is it a good place for R & R? Thanks all!!!!!!!! Iris

Well, I must admit to some prejudice, as I live here in Hawaii, but I'd say Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea is great for cruising and R & R, but there's a wider range of activities and things to do/see here. At the very least, we have a live and active volcano to visit!

Tahiti, especially Bora Bora has incredible snorkeling and scub diving. Most of the islands are surrounded by coral reefs and have unbelievably beautiful lagoons and motus. The sheer natural beauty of Tahiti is stunning and the islands are more "paradise-like" than Hawaii. Other than the watersports though, there's not all that much to do in Tahiti. I've been only once to the Tahitian Islands and dozens of times to the Hawaiian islands so maybe I'm a little bored with Hawaii but I do think I can give you a fair assessment of the two regions. BTW, we've only done land-based vacations in Hawaii and our trip to Tahiti was actaully a sailing trip on a 50 ft. sailboat so we could dictate our itinerary. I think you have to go there at least once. Why not do an extended vacation a go to both places?

Tahiti, especially Bora Bora has incredible snorkeling and scub diving. Most of the islands are surrounded by coral reefs and have unbelievably beautiful lagoons and motus. The sheer natural beauty of Tahiti is stunning and the islands are more "paradise-like" than Hawaii. Other than the watersports though, there's not all that much to do in Tahiti. I've been only once to the Tahitian Islands and dozens of times to the Hawaiian islands so maybe I'm a little bored with Hawaii but I do think I can give you a fair assessment of the two regions. BTW, we've only done land-based vacations in Hawaii and our trip to Tahiti was actually a sailing trip on a 50 ft. sailboat so we could dictate our itinerary. I think you have to go there at least once. Why not do an extended vacation a go to both places?

• 4 weeks later...

This may be too late to do any good, but I would highly recommend Tahiti. My husband grew up on Oahu and we travel to the Big Island at least every other year, if not yearly. We love the Big Island and consider it our second home - that being said, the snorkling and diving in Tahiti ws phenomenal. Water temperature was about 15 to 20 degrees warmed - almost too warm close to shore. It makes me think of what Hawaii must have been like in the late 50's before the islands got inundated with tourists. Tahiti is still quite a trip and not as crowded - that being said, there's not an awful lot to do if you get tired of water sports. Unless you speak French, there's not much to watch on tv or at the movies - the bars are nice, the food is fabulous, but do not go expecting Vegas or Honolulu even. It is very laid back and slow paced. We are already planning our next trip there, it is definitely worth the effort.

Happy Sails,

Charlie

Archived