"You're eligible for an upgrade!" email

indygirl76

7 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

Thanks. So if I go to buy a shirt then for $40, and they offer me a presumably better one for $60.00 then that's NOT an upsell because it's clothing. Got it. So then that would be an upgrade I guess.

So is the term "free upgrade" an oxymoron?  No, "free upsell " is an oxymoron.

The only way that would be an upgrade is if they would only charge you $40 for the $60 shirt.  If they charge you the $60 for that shirt that you only wanted to $40 originally, they #1.  Are a smart salesperson and #2.  They have now made a sale of $20 more than you originally was willing to pay.  

21 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

So if I pay $2000 and upgrade my wardrobe I didn't really upgrade it? I upselled it?

If the new wardrobe is designer garments or items made with more expensive material such as silk or cashmere then I would think this is an upgrade not an upsell.  Now back to the subject at hand..............

I received the upsell/upgrade email and did not take it. The offer was to go from balcony on deck 7 to a balcony on deck 9 for $46.00. Didn’t seem like it was of value to me. Turned it down.  I am platinum and this is the first upsell I have ever received.

pittypat