The Scooter Store

CarolynB

Mom is considering the Go Go Travel Scooter, from the Scooter Store. Has anyone used this brand? The width is 20", she isn't in a handicapped cabin, will this fit through the door way in a regular cabin on the Sapphire Princess? __________________

Mom is considering the Go Go Travel Scooter, from the Scooter Store. Has anyone used this brand? The width is 20", she isn't in a handicapped cabin, will this fit through the door way in a regular cabin on the Sapphire Princess? __________________

Hi CarolynB,

The best thing to do is call Princess and ask for the special needs coordinator. She will be able to tell you how wide the doors are on the Sapphire Princess standard cabins. Most doors seem to be about 22/23 inches wide.

My Go-Go travel scooter is only 18.5" wide and fits in a standard cabin just fine. On some ships, where the cabins are small (NCL for one) there is not a lot of space in the room with the scooter in there, but it is do-able. On the RCI Navigator of the Seas, the standard balcony cabin has plenty of room and the Go-Go is not in the way.

The freedom to get around on the ship with the travel scooter is just wonderful. It makes all the difference between being "exhausted" and having an enjoyable trip. My third cruise with it will be in 3 weeks and we are really looking forward to it.

My travel partner stands in the closet and holds the door open for me (so I don't roll over any toes). In a pinch, I CAN get into and out of the cabin by myself. Actually, once you are part way in or out of the door, you can pretty much hold the door open yourself.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I've been using my Go-Go since October 2003. (use it a lot too.):D

Irisf

They consider it to be free like a wc and it doesn't count as luggage. I haven't flown Southwest with mine, but I assume it is the same as other airlines. Tell them in advance that your Mom will be using one.

I actually ride it to the gate and gate check it there. They put it in with the baggage and then bring it to the gate when we get off the airplane so I can use it to go to baggage claim and to get out of the airport.

I do put name/address labels on each piece, both visible and in hidden places. Then I tape signs on the two places you are supposed to use when you pick it up. I also have a copy of the instructions that I keep with the scooter and take an extra key along in my pocketbook.

There is a "backpack" you can buy from allegro.com that fits over the chair back. When they gate check the scooter, I put my cushion and the charger into the backpack and carry it on board. That is also not considered to be part of your luggage. Instead of a basket on the front of the scooter, I crocheted a bag/pouch to hang from the handlebars. It holds more and it is not in the way like a basket.

IrisF

Hello Carolyn,

We just took our scooter on Southwest Airline in November. They are great and put it in the baggage at the plane door at Philly. Got it out in Phoenix for us to use during our short layover and checked it again at the plane door. Brought it to the plane door when we got off in San Diego. We cruised 3 weeks with it (our first time using it) and it was heaven. We have a Go-Go also. Iris helped us out alot. Everything she told us was correct!

Iris-Thanks alot for your help!!:)

Hi Judy,

Glad I could be of help. I'm so happy your hubby likes using the scooter. I just discovered that I can make the scooter go forward with my left hand by pulling the lever on the left toward me instead of pushing it. Maybe that would work for him too?

Where do you travel to next? The Baltics I think? My best friend from grade school (a LOT of years ago) and I are going on the Navigator of the Seas on Feb. 11 to the Eastern Caribbean. Should be a hoot! DH will have a week to himself and darn if he isn't looking forward to it. Next cruise we will go together!

IrisF

Thanks for the information IrisF. Another question. Do airlines consider a scooter as part of your luggage, or is it free, like a wheelchair would be? We will be flying Southwest.

As you have been told it is not luggage and they airline must carry it for free and are responsible for any damage and the damages are the original cost not a devalued amount.

Also you are entitled to fly with any medical equipment you need, on my cruise in two weeks I will have my scooter AND my folding wheelchair.

When flying if you have any kind of problems ask to speak to the CRO crisis resolution officer, who is well versed in the ADA and the Dept of Transportation laws on this subject, there is also an excellent booklet you can download called New Horizons at

airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publications/horizons.htm

Hi Judy,

Glad I could be of help. I'm so happy your hubby likes using the scooter. I just discovered that I can make the scooter go forward with my left hand by pulling the lever on the left toward me instead of pushing it. Maybe that would work for him too?

Where do you travel to next? The Baltics I think? My best friend from grade school (a LOT of years ago) and I are going on the Navigator of the Seas on Feb. 11 to the Eastern Caribbean. Should be a hoot! DH will have a week to himself and darn if he isn't looking forward to it. Next cruise we will go together!

IrisF

Hi Iris,

He does push out with his left thumb to go forward, but his thumb gets tired! He has to keep a good grip with his strong left hand so has to use his thumb only. Always a problem-so we have to pad his thumb for our next trip.

Yes the Baltics-kind of scary to go so far, but lots of people here do it. Trying to buy one-way air-expensive!

You'll have a great trip to the Eastern Car. I want to do that one some day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello my mother is going on a cruise to Alaska in june, we rented a scooter from the scoot around co, but i don't think it is as small as this one, we are leaving out of seattle, could you give me a phone number where I could rent this size for her. Thank-you Peppitdog

hello my mother is going on a cruise to Alaska in june, we rented a scooter from the scoot around co, but i don't think it is as small as this one, we are leaving out of seattle, could you give me a phone number where I could rent this size for her. Thank-you Peppitdog

Hi Peppitdog,

Call the company you rented from and get the dimensions of the scooter. It should be somewhere around 19" wide and 37" long. That is nearly as small as they get. If they don't have one about that size, I'd call the cruise line you will be sailing and ask their special needs coordinator for another recommended rental company. Is scoot around co. connected with carevacations? Hope your Mother has a great cruise!

IrisF

I have traveled on the Sapphire with a go-go scooter. it will fit thru the door of your regular cabin. I left my scooter in the alcove behind the elevators. No one touched it and it was out of the way. Naturally I took the key with me-and if it makes you feel better, take the battery also.

As others have said, the corridors are too narrow to keep it there. Do not put it on a balcony-they get wet at night.

Southwest is my choice of airlines to fly with the scooter, they have a separate line for the handicapped and you will ride your scooter to the plane door and it will be returned to you there on arrival. You will board first and usually get off last.

Have a wonderful time. If you go more than once, it is pracical to buy the scooter. Rentals are high and twice will just about pay for a scooter.

Any questions, e-mail me.

Juliab

Archived