Buses - Aruba & Curacao! Yes you can!

Fishbone

We are doing the ABC Islands over the Christmas Holiday's 2021, arriving on the Oceania Riviera. We are looking to rent a car or use the public buses to get to Palm beach and Eagle Beach for our day in Port. in Aruba and same for our days in Curacao and Bonaire.

How easy is this to do? Any recommendations for car rental agencies in cruise Port or is taking the Bus an easier option?

We've visited Aruba and Curacao this month. The buses are still running in Aruba. The bus station is a short walk from the cruise terminal. We paid $2.50 one way. They now sell plastic round-trip cards for $5 but US$ still accepted. In Curacao we didn't take a bus (it is quite a walk from the cruise terminal). Also, in Coracao we found it virtually impossible to find a taxi unless you are near the port.

We took a shared van in Curaçao this past month. From our pier it was only a few blocks, past the Renaissance and Starbucks. Van/bus lot is next to the roundabout. Had to ask to figure out which van would get us to Hato Caves. Used a $5 and said to keep the change as a tip, I believe it was $2 per person one way.

Return van took a long route. Wouldn't  recommend if in a hurry or concerned about social distancing. Van filled up on the way back and mask usage was mixed with the windows closed with AC. 

Aruba buses had normal big buses, masks were required, free wifi. However I think our driver was trying to test how much the suspension and brakes could handle. 😄

No buses on Bonaire. Cab stand by the port had a set rate chart based on destinations. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 4:44 PM, BPCruiser said:

We are doing the ABC Islands over the Christmas Holiday's 2021, arriving on the Oceania Riviera. We are looking to rent a car or use the public buses to get to Palm beach and Eagle Beach for our day in Port. in Aruba and same for our days in Curacao and Bonaire.

How easy is this to do? Any recommendations for car rental agencies in cruise Port or is taking the Bus an easier option?

Maybe this will help... (click around on the site to learn what you need to know)!

https://arubus.com/routes-schedules-new/

https://cruisedig.com/kralendijk-bonaire-cruise-port-guide-info

Edited by ggTexasGal
added info

On 10/23/2021 at 12:04 AM, 40yearcruiser said:

We will be in Aruba and Curacao in a couple weeks and appreciate the bus information. If anyone has been there recently, has anything changed in the bus availability? Would love an update from current cruisers to these ports. 

I am hoping by now you have returned from your trip. Could you give a report on Aruba and Curacao? I've never been and would like to have updated information for my trip in January.

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing the information. My wife and I will be in Aruba and Curacao in February. We basically just wanted to do a beach day in Aruba and using the bus system sounds to be the best way to do this.

Hopefully whichever beach we end up on has public restrooms and chairs/umbrellas available for rent.