Solstice - Pacific Islands cruise - how was it?

Muffinz

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone here is on the current Pacific Islands Cruise from Auckland NZ? - due to end 29 March

(Auckland, Bay of Islands, Fiji, Samoa, US Samoa, Tonga, Auckland)

We are doing this cruise next year (1st April) and would like to know what it was like - was the weather hot / rainy? any issues with any of the ports?

any information / advice would be greatly appreciated :classic_smile:

We’re on this cruise.  The ports have been interesting and pretty for the most part.  I think a lot depends on your expectations.  

This was the maiden call for Celebrity in Vava’U in Tonga.  We did an excursion through the ship, and it was definitely not perfect.   I think it will go better next time with experience.  I spoke to several people who just jumped into a taxi and had a great time.  I’m not sure there are enough taxis to cope if everyone wanted to do this, though.  The Tongans at both ports were very welcoming, and seemed to enjoy having a ship full of tourists visit for the day.  

In Fiji and Samoa they’re a bit more used to ships calling, and everything seemed pretty well organised.  The quality of ground transportation varies quite a bit among the ports.  In  Fiji we had air-conditioned coaches, and in Samoa and Tonga, we had local buses with the windows (and sometimes the doors) open.

The weather has has been very humid and hot or at least very warm.  We did have a few minutes of rain in Nuku’Alofa, the final port, but other than that it’s been sun or a few clouds.

We've had a great time and enjoyed all the ports.  Some are a bit less developed than others,  but that’s part of the charm.  

If you have other questions, I’ll do my best to answer.

Edited by lisiamc

thanks for your reply

we were worried about any cyclone type weather that may have made for rough seas, but it sounds like it was ok weather wise

Were all ports docked or were there one or 2 that required tendering?

what excursions would you recommend or not recommend? (based on what you did or heard from others)

and did you find you needed insect repellant? people we spoke to who have been to that area said it is a must have 

thanks again

Edited by Muffinz

another quick question - did you need a special visa or something to go to American Samoa?

We read somewhere you need to pay about $25 NZ to get a stamp in your passport or something when you disembark in Pago Pago?

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

another quick question - did you need a special visa or something to go to American Samoa?

We read somewhere you need to pay about $25 NZ to get a stamp in your passport or something when you disembark in Pago Pago?

DH had an ESTA anyway, since we flew through San Francisco on the way from the UK.  I have dual US/UK nationality, so I was ok too.  The American Samoa tourist info page is here.  They mention a charge, but no one paid that separately, (it might have been incorporated into the cruise fare) and our passports weren’t looked at or stamped.  It only seemed to take a short time to clear the ship when we docked.

The excursions are very subjective, depending on what you like to do.  I heard that snorkelling wasn’t the best in Pago Pago, since there is rubbish in the sea and around the reefs, and loads of rubbish on land.  The other stops seemed better for snorkelling, swimming and beaches.  We had good experiences with cultural and scenery excursions.

Edited by lisiamc

On 3/28/2019 at 6:32 AM, Muffinz said:

As NZ / Aus citizens we didn't need to do anything.  If you want a stamp you can pay of course.

We had sea day that was not pleasant weather, and our day after leaving Tonga was choppy but all in all it was a good trip.  I suggest that you organise tours whether private or ships for the ports.
We did a ship's tour for Nuku'Alofa (Ancient Tonga) and it was brilliant.  We didn't do any tour at all at Vava'U.  There is nothing in the town and so unless you organise something all you can look at is the market and walk to see the church.
At American Samoa we did the AIGA tour through TourAmericanSamoa for $40USD.  Absolutely brilliant.  I know there were people at the gate who were selling similar tours for half the price but at least this one has some sort of business.
The tour we did at Samoa itself has good reviews on Tripadvisor but I think will be about to get a lot of negative ones.  We didn't see the things we were promised, our tour guide didn't know what we were we looking at and our bus almost broke down.  Because of the ship getting the companies busses that were allowed to go in the port we got what the company could pull together including drivers and guides.
We have been to Fiji before so did our own thing but I would recommend The Jewels of Fiji at Suva.  At Lautoka Ziplining is good if you are interested and we enjoyed the Garden of the Sleeping Giant.

We've just got back from this cruise and had a good time.  Have just done a review so will be up in a few days.  We were lucky and had pretty good weather and good seas.  Not overly hot but more humid. This cruise seemed to attract the older crowd (more in their 60's and 70's but they look like they know how to party! LOL)  

I don't really like doing the cruise tours because they are so overpriced - but can see the benefits of doing them at these ports.  We had to deal with rude -and some downright scarey people trying to find some good local tours especially Fiji.  Did a local Suva tour from a mob that were set up on the wharf and wanted extra money midway through the tour - don't know the name but wouldn't recommend them.  I wanted to do a local tour of Apia samoa but too many people were in our faces wanting to charge $100US for a taxi - rip off.  Would suggest going to the Information Centre there - they put on a free cultural tour there for the cruise people. Lovely people there.

We loved American Samoa and did a tour with Alofa tours $35US each - would recommend them.  

Tonga was a bit of a miss especially Vavau.  Very unorganised there but they are trying.  They were getting people to complete surveys at the end of the trip so they should improve for next years cruise.  Would recommend ship tour here.  We were watching some people get into some of the local boats there and they didn't look seaworthy.  The town itself is tiny with little to see.  In Nukualofa we were a little scared again of the local tours and taxis but after a look around town we hailed a local taxi who took us to the blowholes and saw the countryside for about 50 tongan.

There were 2 tender ports - Bay of Islands and Vavau.  Pretty sure it was American Samoa where some people we knew got eaten by the mossies.  But they did some rainforest tour.  I didn't see a mossie the whole trip.

If you haven't booked a cabin yet, I would suggest one on starboard side.  We were on port side and seemed to be on the wrong side every port.

1 hour ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

We've just got back from this cruise and had a good time.  Have just done a review so will be up in a few days.  We were lucky and had pretty good weather and good seas.  Not overly hot but more humid. This cruise seemed to attract the older crowd (more in their 60's and 70's but they look like they know how to party! LOL)  

If you haven't booked a cabin yet, I would suggest one on starboard side.  We were on port side and seemed to be on the wrong side every port.

Funny, we were on the Starboard side and other than when we were actually in port were saying we were on the wrong side.  We did do the Perth to Auckland leg first though and it was probably mainly that one as on the portside you could see land in the distance unlike on starboard side.  I will admit at Samoa it was great waking up to the dancers.

Thanks for the great info.  We're also doing this cruise next year.  

I see some tour prices are quoted in USD.  If I don't have a local currency on me, is there a preferred tourism currency?  If local tours are being quoted in USD (other than American Samoa), are tour guides/taxi's also expecting a tip?  Tipping isn't exactly customary in these areas but prices in USD + luxury tourism destinations leads me to think some US customs like tipping within the tourist sector might be appreciated.

I found the local tours that were quoting me in USD were the ones that were trying to rip us off.  They were (wrongly) assuming that most on board were Americans and so would be ok paying USD.  Most were New Zealanders and Aussies though and US is expensive for us - and an awful lot of money for the local countries.   The preferred currency is always their local currency.  These aren't luxury ports so them trying to change other currencies into their own is difficult. 
Anything set up for cruisers like the markets would take US, AUD and NZD as well although the exchange rate wouldn't be good. No, tipping isn't customary and they don't expect to get a tip - but they may get very hopeful if they hear an American accent 😉  

• Like 1

We did this cruise as well and everyone will have a slightly different experience but this was ours....
Bay of Islands - very easy to get around.  Ship tenders to Waitangi with a shuttle provided to Paihia.  We booked a rental car through Far North Rentals for $85 and drove to Keri Keri and Kawa Kawa.  Last time we caught the ferry to Russell.
Lautoka - met by masses of tour groups and taxi drivers who aggressively tout for business.  It's like running a gauntlet!  They tried to charge us double what we had been told for a taxi to Sabeto Mud pools.   It was very hot and humid so we decided to catch the shuttle to town and found free wifi in the Tappoo shopping centre which also had AC.  Souvenir shopping is over priced, mass produced rubbish that will be found in every port.  It was very hot, humid and dirty so we went back to the ship.

Suva - arranged a 3 hour private tour through Discover My Fiji.  Again you have to put up with the tour companies and taxi drivers.  Our tour cost $65 AUD pp and was of reasonable value.  The tour guide was really informative and loved answering questions.  The tour varied slightly to what was advertised but it didn't worry us too much as we enjoyed ourselves.  Wear your togs under your clothes as there are opportunities for a dip in local swimming holes.

Apia - we were on the starboard side and were woken up with beautiful singing and entertainment dockside as we tied up.  Once again, more aggressive tour groups and taxi drivers but we spoke with Samoa Tourism Agency on the booth and they told us what to expect to pay for a taxi to Robert Louis Stevenson Museum - $20 WST pp entry fee.  The taxi drivers tried it on but finally agreed on the price we had been told ($15 WST each way,).  Beat the ship's tours there and the taxi driver waited for us.  Tour is really well done and the young tour guides are brilliant.  Not a lot to do in the town so stopped at Aggie Grey's for lunch and found out you could pay to use their swimming pool.  The Information Centre was really helpful.  Had an uncomfortable moment when we were walking back to the ship and a group of young boys (around 10 to 12 year olds) hassled us for money and one even put his hand in my husband's pocket.

Pago Pago - get up as the ship comes into port as the view is amazing.  More entertainment on the dock but not as polished as the Apia welcome.  The Information Centre on the wharf was a bit disorganised as they had forgotten to print some local maps.  Touting for business was not as aggressive, nor were the vendors on the wharf.  Had to laugh when a sarong I was looking at was printed with Hawaii!  We were going to do the 3 hour local Aiga bus tour at $20 USD pp but I was feeling slightly unwell so chose Sadies by the Sea resort.  $5 USD pp gives all day access to their sun loungers, swimming pool beach and they also have a great restaurant with delicious fish tacos.  Watched people pulling lots of plastic bags, chip packets, drink cans and other rubbish out of the water while swimming at the beach but it didn't stop them swimming.

Vavau - we sat on the balcony as we came into and were in awe of the number of little islands.  I wasn't feeling too good so didn't take the 30 min tender ride to shore so can't shed any light on the port.

Nuku 'Alofa - hassled far less on arrival on the wharf than anywhere else.  Lots of people outside the port gates touting offers but we had arranged another private tour.  It seems that most tours covered a 3 hour tour of the west side or a 3 hour tour of the east side.  We did the west side which took us to the presidential residence, royal tombs, tsunami rock and blow holes.  The blow holes were amazing and we were fortunate to be there at full time and had a spectacular display.  The cost was $80 TOP pp.  We had a great meal at Friends cafe and found the township a lot cleaner than the other ports as well as less aggressive taxi drivers.

The temperatures were around 30C with high humidity.  Swells were around 2.5 to 3 metres so if you get seasick, take some ginger tablets to calm your stomach.  There were a high number of Kiwis on board, around 1,400 and we found that the bars were very popular, crowded and a bit rowdy at times - not the usual demographic that we've experienced on past Celebrity cruises.  I contracted gastro and was confined to the cabin for the last 3 days so that may have taken the shine off my experience.  I was supposed to have room service and free movies but they kept adding charges to our account.  The movies also kept stopping and the system had to be restarted 3 times but calls to Guest Services sorted that and charges were reversed.

Overall, the itinerary was very good and we loved Samoa and Tonga.  Don't have high expectations of the ports as they are quite dirty and living conditions are pretty basic for the residents.  Don't feel that you get a better deal from the ship's excursions as they use the same providers as private tour operators at a fraction of the cost.  Transport is pretty rough and ready but all part of the experience.  

We'd been on the Solstice in 2015 and felt it was beginning to show signs of wear and tear.  The carpet in our stateroom (Class 1A) was pretty grubby as were the drapes on the balcony window plus there was mildew in our shower.  Our stateroom attendant was outstanding and couldn't do enough for us especially when I became unwell.  The staff definitely make the difference but they work pretty hard for their money.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday.

There was a bit of coughing and stuff on board but didn't seem too bad  but was only once we got back that we found out lots were sick - including me. I ended up with a chest infection or something once we got home and still taking antibiotics and can't shake it.  There were about 100 people on our facebook group that answered a poll and over half of those were sick - flu or something else.  At least 1 in hospital with pneumonia.  If half of facebook got sick, can only imagine what percentage of the whole ship got sick.  Some of the crew were off sick while we were onboard too.  

Oh dear.  Gastro, flu, and chest infection.  Hope people feel better soon. 

Thanks for the head's up.  I'm usually not a germaphobe but do take precautions on cruises as they seem to be floating petri dishes.  US/CA also gets their flu variants predictions and shots based on AU/NZ patterns.  US last flu season seemed to start in early September 2018 among my co-workers.  Is it starting early in AU/NZ this year?

On 4/8/2019 at 10:27 AM, Mr&MrsCookie said:

There was a bit of coughing and stuff on board but didn't seem too bad  but was only once we got back that we found out lots were sick - including me. I ended up with a chest infection or something once we got home and still taking antibiotics and can't shake it.  There were about 100 people on our facebook group that answered a poll and over half of those were sick - flu or something else.  At least 1 in hospital with pneumonia.  If half of facebook got sick, can only imagine what percentage of the whole ship got sick.  Some of the crew were off sick while we were onboard too.  

This was our second half of our B2B.  Far more people were coughing and seemed to be sick on the first half.  It surprised me to see just how many polled on our FB group that they were sick when they left the ship.