What type of binoculars to buy/bring for Antartica cruise?

dreamercruise

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if I'm too late to respond...but I've been looking for binoculars for an upcoming Alaskan cruise...so have done a lot of research recently.  We've had some compact Nikon 10x25s which are very nice...but we were hoping to find something a little bit stronger.  The biggest issue with going stronger, but staying small is that the greater the magnification, the more you can see the "jitter" when you hold them.  And the smaller they are overall, the more you can feel like you have "tunnel vision" when looking through them.  This is particularly important when...for example...trying to follow a bird in flight.  So, size vs. magnification can be a real balancing act when purchasing.

Yesterday I even went over to a local top-name sporting goods store to compare the models I found online.  I had a great salesperson who was more than happy to show me all sorts of options...and gave me tips on where and how to look around the store using the binoculars to see the real differences for comparison.  (If you have the chance to do something like this, I'd highly recommend it.)

There were two brands that it came down to for me...Vortex (a brand I don't really know, but has a good reputation and reportedly very good warranties) and Nikon Monarch.  Both are too big to be called compact (which is what we've brought with us in the past)...but they're not as big as many of the others.  I looked at the Vortex 10x50 and the Monarch 12x42 (as well as the 10x42). In all honesty, all three were excellent.  Just FYI...the Monarchs are more expensive than the Vortexes, but not by that much.  But all three are more expensive than compact binoculars.

After visiting the store, I came home and continued researching the three different models...and in the end, decided on the Nikon Monarch 5 12x42.  They were very clear, very bright...and not too big, nor heavy. 

Hope this is helpful...! 🙂 

Thank you for your inputs. I also concluded to buy Nikon Monarch 5 from my online research.  I am debating between 8x42 and 10x42, and am leaning towards 8x42 for larger FOV (Field of View) and less jitter at the expense of magnification strength.  The fact that you got the 12x42 makes me wonder if I should get 10x42 instead.  I shall definitely use the binoculars for bird watching in addition to viewing other relatively slower moving wildlife.

i shall take your suggestion about visiting a sporting goods store.  Unfortunately, the nearest authorized Nikon dealer shop is quite far from my home.  My local Best Buy store does not have any stock for me to try out and compare in real life.  I have to place an order to have the binoculars shipped to the store.

7 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Thank you for your inputs. I also concluded to buy Nikon Monarch 5 from my online research.  I am debating between 8x42 and 10x42, and am leaning towards 8x42 for larger FOV (Field of View) and less jitter at the expense of magnification strength.  The fact that you got the 12x42 makes me wonder if I should get 10x42 instead.  I shall definitely use the binoculars for bird watching in addition to viewing other relatively slower moving wildlife.

i shall take your suggestion about visiting a sporting goods store.  Unfortunately, the nearest authorized Nikon dealer shop is quite far from my home.  My local Best Buy store does not have any stock for me to try out and compare in real life.  I have to place an order to have the binoculars shipped to the store.

Glad my info was helpful...! 🙂 

Not sure if I'm allowed to say so in this forum...the sporting goods store I went to was Cabela's...and the sales person was VERY helpful.   (I don't know whether they're considered an "authorized Nikon dealer" or not.)  The binoculars were back in the hunting section, so if you have a hunting store in your area, they might have a good selection.  (One note, they were all in a glass case, so I did need to work with a salesperson--not just look at them myself.)  

I didn't even bother looking at Best Buy...cause the same would be true there...our local store wouldn't carry a good selection. 

I didn't mention...I eventually ordered online through L.L. Bean...I got a discount coupon via email...and was able to apply it to my order--which is why I was able to get such a good price on the 12x42...lower than anywhere else.  (They should be delivered within the next week.)  

I don't think you can go wrong with the 8x42...but if you're still debating, I would suggest going with the 10x42. (One option you might consider...order a set of each to compare, then return the ones you don't like...?)  Once you have them and are actually using them, you won't be comparing one to another...and that makes a huge difference.  You'll just get used to using what you have...and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Hope you'll post about what you eventually decide to purchase...! 

🙂 

8 hours ago, Yo Adrienne said:

I didn't mention...I eventually ordered online through L.L. Bean...I got a discount coupon via email...and was able to apply it to my order--which is why I was able to get such a good price on the 12x42...lower than anywhere else.  (They should be delivered within the next week.)  

I don't think you can go wrong with the 8x42...but if you're still debating, I would suggest going with the 10x42. (One option you might consider...order a set of each to compare, then return the ones you don't like...?)  Once you have them and are actually using them, you won't be comparing one to another...and that makes a huge difference.  You'll just get used to using what you have...and I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Hope you'll post about what you eventually decide to purchase...! 

🙂 

There are many online sellers including Amazon who sell Nikon binoculars with 1-year warranty (and at a lower price).  I understand that Nikon sells products in US (US specification and quality) with a lifetime warranty.  These products are in factory sealed, unopened box.  Nikon also sells products outside of US, some with only 1-year warranty.  Most online sellers sell these “grey market” products, and most often in opened box (can be returns).  I would rather pay more to get the “real” thing (meaning best quality) and worry-free lifetime warranty.

Question for you is if your pair of binoculars from LL Bean came in factory-sealed box with a lifetime, US warranty?

if so, I would order from LL Bean.  It’s online store seems to carry a lot of things I need.

4 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Question for you is if your pair of binoculars from LL Bean came in factory-sealed box with a lifetime, US warranty?

if so, I would order from LL Bean.  It’s online store seems to carry a lot of things I need.

Very interesting...in all honesty, I was not aware of the differences in warranties...so thanks for the scoop on this...! 🙂 

My binoculars should be arriving within the next few days, so I'll let you know about the packaging once I receive them.  (According to the L.L. Bean website, the price is the same as the authorized dealers--it's just that I was able to use a coupon to bring the price down, so I'm suspecting I should have the best warranty.  Or perhaps I should say, I hope so...! 🙂 ) 

As for L.L. Bean itself...they are one of the most well-respected online retailers in the US.  They've been around forever (long before Amazon)...and have an excellent reputation for standing behind all of the products that they sell.  They used to be located only in Maine (their store there is AMAZING)...but in more recent years they have actually opened several other locations.  I have ordered from them on and off for decades and have never had any issue with returns/refunds.  I would not hesitate at all to order from them...!  They go above and beyond to make sure their customers are satisfied...! 

🙂 🙂 

On 4/23/2019 at 5:38 PM, dreamercruise said:

I would rather pay more to get the “real” thing (meaning best quality) and worry-free lifetime warranty.

Our Nikon Monarch 12x42 binoculars arrived yesterday...and I have a to say, they're awesome.  As I've mentioned previously, they're too large to be called "compact"...but they're smaller than most of the regular-sized binoculars.  Also, they're a little heavier than many compact models, but definitely lighter than most of the regular-sized binoculars I tried.

One thing...these binoculars are definitely not a toy...they're for a serious user--so we do have to work to get the focus right (using the right eye first, then focusing for both eyes).  And we do have to re-focus when looking near to far, or far to near.  The center knob, however, is nice and tight, so once you focus, you won't have a lot of "slippage" as you can you with a looser knob.  I will point out that, because our eyesight is different and there's a little more effort involved in focusing the binoculars, sharing the binoculars isn't quite a easy as with a cheaper pair.  We purchased two pairs, so that my husband and I can each have our own set.

One set of lens caps (the ones on the 42 side) are permanently attached (you can't lose 'em)...and the ones on the 12 side can be attached when you connect the included strap.  Connecting the strap is a bit of a challenge (pictured directions aren't real clear), but once the strap is, it's on...no need to monkey with it further.  The included case is nice, but doesn't have a strap. 

Finally, with regard to the Nikon lifetime warranty...the packing material included a sheet stating that there is, indeed, a lifetime warranty for them.  So, if you find them through a reputable online retailer like L.L. Bean with a decent price (as we did), I wouldn't hesitate to purchase them at all.  (And again, look for online coupons.)

Our cruise isn't until the fall...but we do plan to use the binoculars between now and then to get used to them.  

Hope this is helpful...! 🙂 

Thanks a million for sharing experience.  Per your information, I ordered Nikon Monach 5, 8x42 from Llbean as well. Since I have never used binoculars before, I think 8x42 is easier to handle for me.  I have tried looking through Monach 7 8x42 for a few minutes, so I know what to expect from Monach 5.  Of course, I shall need to spend time practicing with mine before my first trip.

It is comforting to know that I shall be getting the real deal, with lifetime warranty, from Llbean.  Besides, return (in case of problems) is easy, as the nearest Llbean is only half hour away.  Although there is no discount promotion available now, I went ahead ordering a pair, as I have three trips coming up this year:  La Galapagos cruise, Macau Picchu, Antarctica (plus South Georgia and Falklands).

When browsing Llbean website, I found many items suitable for our three trips:  merino wool midweight base layers (for Antarctica), light waterproof sandals (with closed toes and hiking traction sole) and long sleeve, linen shirts (for La Galapagos), leather/canvas crossbody bag and more long sleeve, cotton shirts/pants (for Manchu Picchu).  Due to multiple item purchase, I applied for the LLbean MC to get a one-time, 15% discount for all items (except the sandals).  The MC gives 4% bean dollars, which i shall make good use for many more future purchases.  In summary, thanks to you, I got the right binoculars for myself and I found a good source for getting my travel needs.

38 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

Thanks a million for sharing experience.  Per your information, I ordered Nikon Monach 5, 8x42 from Llbean as well. Since I have never used binoculars before, I think 8x42 is easier to handle for me.  I have tried looking through Monach 7 8x42 for a few minutes, so I know what to expect from Monach 5.  Of course, I shall need to spend time practicing with mine before my first trip.

It is comforting to know that I shall be getting the real deal, with lifetime warranty, from Llbean.  Besides, return (in case of problems) is easy, as the nearest Llbean is only half hour away.  Although there is no discount promotion available now, I went ahead ordering a pair, as I have three trips coming up this year:  La Galapagos cruise, Macau Picchu, Antarctica (plus South Georgia and Falklands).

When browsing Llbean website, I found many items suitable for our three trips:  merino wool midweight base layers (for Antarctica), light waterproof sandals (with closed toes and hiking traction sole) and long sleeve, linen shirts (for La Galapagos), leather/canvas crossbody bag and more long sleeve, cotton shirts/pants (for Manchu Picchu).  Due to multiple item purchase, I applied for the LLbean MC to get a one-time, 15% discount for all items (except the sandals).  The MC gives 4% bean dollars, which i shall make good use for many more future purchases.  In summary, thanks to you, I got the right binoculars for myself and I found a good source for getting my travel needs.

So happy to hear that the info I provided was helpful...and that you've made a decision...! 🙂 

Safe travels and enjoy...! 🙂