Hawaii Itinieraries

Abavus

We're currently booked for our 2nd Carib cruise, with a 3rd on deck for '07.

Long term, DW and I would like to get on some of the more interesting Itineraries, and opted to build up points on Princess because of their worldwide offerings. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii. DW has always NOT wanted to go to Hawaii. I'm thinking a cruise might be a nice alternative.

I've looked at the 15d itinerary out of LA as something I'd like to do. People at work have done the shorter runs that leave out of the islands and had a great time.

I'm interested in hearing some more opinions on these... based on your input I may press our group to look at this as an option for early '07 instead of pushing it off. :cool:

Princess only offers the regular 15 day on the Island Princess. If you can bare 8-10 days at sea then this is a fantastic way to see the islands. I say bare because believe it or not there are a lot of people that dislike sea days. The shorter cruises offered by other lines will cause you to have to fly at least one way to Hawaii or even roundtrip, this in my book would be cost prohibitive. I myself feel that the 15 day is the only way to see Hawaii. Of coarse I am biased because of our 28 plus cruises on Princess. :D

My DH and I will be taking the Island Princess cruise to Hawaii next month. I have not been on a cruise this long before, but I would be glad to give you more info when we get back. We are soooooooo looking forward to it! We felt like having the first five days to rest and relax will be great and then the next five running around the islands. The last five days would be spent just enjoying the experience and winding down, looking forward to our next cruise! I do not see a downside!

Kim

A few years ago my husband and I did a Princess cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii and then flew home from Honolulu. It was an 11-day cruise. I don't know if they still offer this itinerary.

We usually LOVE sea-days but a 5-day crossing was more than even I liked. Even though the line tried to have something different every day, 5 days in a row was too much. I would love to do Hawaii again but I don't think Princess offers a 7-day cruise. I haven't been impressed by what has been said about the NCL cruises. Well, I'll keep dreaming. Just my opinion.

Hey guys, whether you want to believe it or not, there are lots of people who do not care for a lot of sea days, my wife among them. I also have a lot of cruises on Princess, 19 to be exact, and I've always wanted to take a repositioning cruise from or to Europe, but my wife doesn't want six straight days at sea. We took a cruise around the Hawaiin Islands a couple of years ago on NCL's Norwegian Star and really enjoyed it. The only drawback at that time was in order to comply with the Jones Law, we had to go to Fanning Island; one day there, one day to stay there, and one day back.

Now however, since the forming of NCL America, you can sail from one island to another with no penalty. Makes a lot more sense. But as the old saying goes, "to each his own", so if you like sea days, go for it. ;)

A few years ago my husband and I did a Princess cruise from Vancouver to Hawaii and then flew home from Honolulu. It was an 11-day cruise. I don't know if they still offer this itinerary.

We usually LOVE sea-days but a 5-day crossing was more than even I liked. Even though the line tried to have something different every day' date=' 5 days in a row was too much. I would love to do Hawaii again but I don't think Princess offers a 7-day cruise. I haven't been impressed by what has been said about the NCL cruises. Well, I'll keep dreaming. Just my opinion.[/quote']

That is the only way to do that type of cruise with Princess, by way of a repositioning cruise. Usually early May or late September only. :)

What a pity that your wife isn't interested in "doing" Hawaii. My DH felt that way before our first trip and now it is his favourite vacation destination. For me it's always a difficult choice to make.......Hawaii or cruise/cruise or Hawaii. For the last few vacations cruise has won out. I would love to cruise to Hawaii on Princess but until they begin to do the 10 or 11 night one way cruises I think it will have to be a land vacation spot for us....or a cruise on Celebrity or RCI :D. I couldn't bear to spend only 5 days in the Islands....and a lot of that time would be on a ship sailing from place to place. Once I arrive in the Islands I want to stay and drink in the whole experience. With the one way cruises you can add a pre or post cruise stay and get the best of both worlds.

I haven't been impressed by what has been said about the NCL cruises.

I wouldn't expect the same level of service on NCL America as Princess. To us, NCL America was more the level of service of a average hotel (about the same as the Waikiki Marriott). We've been on 2 cruises. Yes, the service/food on the Grand were great. Late arrivals and short stays were not so good. Overall, we preferred the Pride of Aloha, but that's because the itinerary was sooooo good. Love those long port days. My idea of the best of both worlds ..... Greek Isle cruise on the Grand. :D

What a pity that your wife isn't interested in "doing" Hawaii.

I had assumed that someday I'd win her over and we'd be on our way to an all-inclusive on one of the islands ... but hey, I like to cruise too, so this works. :cool:

I am a little nervous about the 5 days at sea coming and going, but tbh, I enjoy the quiet days onboard ship more than most port days. A sea breeze, a strawberry daquri, and a lounge chair go a long way towards "perfect" for me. :D

Thanks for your input so far, keep it coming if anyone else has done this route.

We took the round trip to Hawaii from San Diego on Celebrity's Infinity this fall, and enjoyed it so much that we will be looking at the Princess cruises from Los Angeles in the near future. Of course, we love the days at sea. Now if they would just sail from San Francisco------

My husband and I just got back yesterday from the 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Island Princess and it was wonderful. It was our first cruise and couldn't have been more perfect. We loved the days at sea and had a great time visiting the islands.

Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Sunsail, we are doing the same cruise on April 6th. Glad to hear you enjoyed your curise. Can you recommend shore excrusions - what is a must and what should we skip? How was the food and what about the ship entertainment? Thanks!

Did you say this was your first cruise?

David

There's one other option for Hawaii on Princess--the Tahiti to Hawaii itinerary. That might be a good compromise if DW isn't interested in Hawaii, since it's not just Hawaii, it's Tahiti too. It's a 12-night itinerary with 4 sea days (plus the half-day call at Christmas Island, which is often cancelled if rough seas make it impossible to tender) so it's a lot less sea days than the 15-night itinerary. The downside is it's a MUCH longer flight (8 hours from LAX to Papeete), and for those who like Anytime Dining, the Tahitian Princess doesn't have it. They don't do many of these sailings, I think there's only 6 of them this year, 3 each way, all in the spring/summer.

Archived