Norway/Ffjords without planned excursions

JudyConno

On 4/4/2019 at 9:52 AM, Jennizor said:

Not wishing to hijack this thread but also not wanting to start a new one.  We are  going to the Fjords on Arcadia in June but to some different ports. Haugesand, Skjokden, Alesund, Trondheim, Heitleslyt and Gerainger. Same question, can we do these on our own?

Slightly different subject addressed to you. Noticed your area is Bolton and we live in Rossendale. Do you travel to Southampton on the coach from Bolton bus station ? We have booked on this.

18 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Mary, we get the coach from the Macron Stadium at Middlebrook. Not sure if it will be the one you get from the train station. Regards Brenda.

Hello Brenda

We use Eavesway coaches that come into Bolton Bus station. This leaves around 7.15am usually and I think starts off in Glasgow. Perhaps you travel with a different company ?

Kath

30 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Hi Kath,

we are travelling with Intercruises. We haven’t got a time yet though.

Brenda

Ok Brenda,

Well we are travelling down to Southampton on the same day and probably around the same time. We will possibly see you at one of the service stations ! I'll have a wander round if I see an Intercruises coach asking for Brenda and you can do the same and ask for Kath lol

Kath

• 2 months later...
On 4/3/2019 at 10:13 AM, JudyConno said:

Would you consider not pre booking any excursions for a week long cruise to Norway and the fjjords in June.  It will be our first cruise and although I'm normally someone who likes to plan I'm thinking maybe we should just enjoy the cruise and exploring the ports on our own.

We are active and think nothing of walking/hiking distances.  Also I don't want to book tours like the Flaam train if the weather is rainy on the day. I'm thinking if we wanted to do it on the day and then it was booked up we'd just do something else. We like kayaking too, but again not in wet weather. Thinking we could just take a chance on the day

I know if have to accept that if things are booked up that we would need a back up plan.  It's not the school holidays as far as I'm aware so maybe activities won't get bòoked quickly 

Sorry for the waffle. Any opinions please.

If you pre-book the Flam ticket and believe in the weather forecasts, you could cancel your ticket up to 24 hours in advance without penalty or even closer to departure for a 100NOK penalty according to VY's (Norway Railways) website.