Attire in dining rooms

miss meow

You are correct, no shorts are allowed. Here is the dress code from Carnival:

Is there a dress code for the dining room?spacer.gifDepending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

Hi there...

Just looking to get an idea of what is accepted attire in the "formal" dining rooms on casual days. What do people typically wear? Am I correct that NO SHORTS are allowed?

Thanks!

"Dress code" is loosened a little bit on the nights of embarkation as some passengers may not have received their luggage yet. Please be sure to check the Capers for more specific recommendations for each night.

Just returned from the Liberty and on non formal nights anything goes. I saw several people even in shorts and nothing was said to them. I was surprised that nothing was said since this is supposed to be one of their rules.

On a 6 day we were told 2 formal nights, for the 2nd one our waiter said tomorrow was formal, but the Capers said casual. So I went to the pursers desk to ask and was told it was optional and if we wanted to dress up OK or if we wanted casual that was also OK.

Smart Casual, Hawaiin shirt & Kakies or dockers, shirt & tie w/ nice blazer, oh pants too. A nice skirt & blouse or pant suit for the ladies. I love formal nights. Tuxes & ball gowns, everyone, who dresses like this, looks so good. Just don't go to the specialty reastaurants that night. Tight clothes and lot's of food = uncomfortable.

What you read here is pretty much true. Pretty much anything goes in the dining room, although twice I have saw the matre'd say something to people who have shorts on (one time though it was a really loud man with shorts AND a tank top on LOL)

On the non-formal nights I usually wear something like a nicer shirt (not a t-shirt) and capris, DH will wear something like a polo and nice jeans or khakis.

On formal nights I always wear a cocktail or formal dress and DH wears a black suit and tie. I can honestly say that I've never saw a man without a jacket on on formal nights. The dresses for women though go from church type dresses to really formal dresses or pantsuits.

For breakfast or lunch we usually wear whatever we are going to wear in port. We very rarely use the dining room for breakfast or lunch though, we usually eat on the Lido deck then.

I was never one to pay attention to what others wear until I started reading this board. On my Spirit cruise 1/11/06, there was a gentleman who came into the dining room on a non-formal night in shorts and a collared shirt. He looked fine, but it made me wonder why they say no shorts and then don't enforce it. We went to the supper club and I told everyone how they had to dress, what did we see, a man in dockers and a collared shirt no jacket or tie and this was the third night of the cruise. No excuse about luggage. My DD's BF was very upset because he followed the rules. I could care less. Just seems they need to revise the rules to allow these things or follow through and not admit people.

Candi

Candi, I totally agree with you. They make the rules and they need to enforce them.

I have seen, on a couple of occasions, a Maitre d' turn folks away for being improperly dressed. I actually heard one of the conversations, and he very tactfully asked the gentleman to change into appropriate attire or go to Lido buffet for dinner. That is a Maitre d' doing his job correctly. Wish they were all like that.

. I can honestly say that I've never saw a man without a jacket on on formal nights. The dresses for women though go from church type dresses to really formal dresses or pantsuits.

OK..I am confused here. You can read a million different threads on this subject, on all different cruise board sites, and everyone answers differently. I have recently recieved 3 e-mails from long time cruisers and all 3 said on formal nights it isnt too uncommon to see a man in nice slacks and a nice dress shirt w/no jacket/tie. I also go over to the cruise attire threads and see a nice dressy dress that someone was asking about for formal night and most people said it was inappropriate, but then I read above that women can even wear church clothing and never do you see a man without a jacket on. I have also read that you should not wear jeans in the dining room, even on casual nights.

I know a lot of these posts are peoples "opinions" but to us first time cruisers it gets confusing, I honestly do not know what clothing to pack to wear while we are eating. I have been reassured many times that Dh can go to a formal night w/a nice dress shirt (no tie/jacket) and slacks (not Dockers) but then I read the above quote and I get more confused.

I was willing to just bag Formal night but then I got reassured he could go without a tie/jacket. I have formal wear and will "fit in" as do the three 18-20 y/o gals going with us, but the other 20 y/o guy was not planning on wearing a jacket, he is informal also (he is wearing a tie/dress shirt/slacks)

So to cut to the chase: #1: Can men go without a tie/jacket to formal night? (please, I know some of you are frowning at my husband right now, but just because he does not feel the need to dress differently then he normally would just to eat a meal does not mean he is a bad guy, he is just a wonderful informal workaholic that does not like to dress up, but does love lobster and would like to have it and I have heard that is only on formal night. Correct me if I am wrong there please)

#2 Are nicer jeans allowed on all other then formal nights in the dining room? My Dh does have Dockers and I was going to bring them along, but if he can go in nice black or dark blue jeans that would be great. He does wear polo shirts almost daily so he will have plenty of them.

Thanks! Lisa

Bothell, I did see men without ties on formal nights. The only place it was a problem for my DD's BF was in the supper club where it states you must wear a tie and jacket. If he is wearing nice slacks and shirt he will be okay. I just prefer to see the men dressed up on formal night. You will see jeans in the dining room even on formal night. I would not recommend it, but there it is. On non formal nights, as I said before I saw men in shorts and nice collared shirts. They looked fine, it just made me wonder.

Candi

OK..I am confused here. You can read a million different threads on this subject, on all different cruise board sites, and everyone answers differently.

OK, cut to the chase, do you want to know what is appropriate or what you can get away with? Those are two different questions.

When in doubt follow what the cruise line says then there is no way you can be wrong.

Carnivals policy is here: http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dining_Room_Dress_Requirements.aspx

Ignore the opinions, and read the requirements for the line you are sailing.

On this post, it is way back on answer number two. It's the only true source. Reading that has always clearly painted the picture for me.

Bon voyage!

On my 2 previous cruises on the Triumph-I wore Dockers and a nice golf shirt .:)

I plan to wear Dockers and golf shirts this Feb on the Liberty-on all nights .:p

I do not own a tie or jacket-retired and will not go back to that mode of dress.:mad:

OK, cut to the chase, do you want to know what is appropriate or what you can get away with? Those are two different questions.

I assure you, Dear Sir, I am not trying "to get away" with anything. That comment had a underlying tone of dishonesty and that is not the intention of my questions. My questions were just that, questions, looking for answers to clear up the conflicting responses I had had about dress code. Mere questions from a newbie that mainly sits in the wings reading rather then posting, and one reason why is due to responses as yours to innocent questions one might have.

I assure you, Dear Sir, I am not trying "to get away" with anything. That comment had a underlying tone of dishonesty and that is not the intention of my questions. My questions were just that, questions, looking for answers to clear up the conflicting responses I had had about dress code. Mere questions from a newbie that mainly sits in the wings reading rather then posting, and one reason why is due to responses as yours to innocent questions one might have.

WOW! He asked you a question, simple as that... perhaps, since a message board doesn't have the benefit of "tone", you were a little defensive on this one??? I didn't see anything wrong with that post... WOW, still nothing but WOW!!!

You asked a question, he gave you an answer... when in doubt, check the policy that Carnival has. I have read it 10 times now, and still not sure what caused you to get so upset.

I totally stand corrected and realize now that Big_duck was not accusing me of trying to get away with anything. I took his post wrong and I read it as if he thought I was trying to "get away with" something (which I am not trying to get away with anything! :o)

I truly apologize, it was me reading his post the wrong way and hastily responding to defend myself without re-reading it the correct way.

I stand corrected, and apologetic (and anxious for my first cruise!)

I will slow down, read every word and respond correctly and respectfully! (As I normally do! and feel the fool for not doing it this time)

I totally stand corrected and realize now that Big_duck was not accusing me of trying to get away with anything. I took his post wrong and I read it as if he thought I was trying to "get away with" something (which I am not trying to get away with anything! :o)

I truly apologize, it was me reading his post the wrong way and hastily responding to defend myself without re-reading it the correct way.

I will slow down, read every word and respond correctly and respectfully! (As I normally do! and feel the fool for not doing it this time)

Ah don't worry! It happens to us all! I can't tell you how many times I have done the same thing!!! NO worries :D Plus, it's MONDAY! UGH! LOL!!!

I am sure I am partly to blame. :o Trying to rush through and get my post in before the board blows up. ;)

#1: Can men go without a tie/jacket to formal night? (please, I know some of you are frowning at my husband right now, but just because he does not feel the need to dress differently then he normally would just to eat a meal does not mean he is a bad guy, he is just a wonderful informal workaholic that does not like to dress up, but does love lobster and would like to have it and I have heard that is only on formal night. Correct me if I am wrong there please)

The official guidelines state that men should wear at least a jacket, tie and slacks on formal nights. However, in reality, you will see some men not wearing a jacket and/or tie. The men in my family have gone without the jacket and tie and have never felt out of place.

#2 Are nicer jeans allowed on all other then formal nights in the dining room? My Dh does have Dockers and I was going to bring them along, but if he can go in nice black or dark blue jeans that would be great. He does wear polo shirts almost daily so he will have plenty of them.

Unlike some cruiselines, Carnival does not have a stated policy prohibiting jeans in the dining room on casual nights. I have noticed many people wearing them and have worn them myself. I prefer black jeans because I think they look dressier, but blue are fine too.

I too just completed a great 6 days on the Carnival Liberty. A main reason I cruise is to dress up/dress nice for the formal dinners EVERY evening. Everyone gets the same royal treatment. I don't wear formals and my 'dress up' clothes were bought on sale and worn on previous cruises (4 total). One evening before the DR doors opened, I looked around and found myself in a crazy group of nicely dressed patrons and people who looked like they were going to the laundromat. Rumpled peddle pushers, worn jeans, baggy shirts and sweaters, tshirts with adv logos. It was pain to my eyes and diminished my experience. A beautiful new ship and this is tolerated. Carnival needs to establish a formal dining room dress code and enforce it or I will regretfully need to look for a more discriminating cruise line. :(

Sensation Jan 04; Glory Jan 05; Celebration Apr 05; Liberty Jan 06

Archived