October 2019 New England Repo cruise

Kate45

We are looking at doing a repo cruise this fall. HAL does 3 such cruises, 2 from Montreal and 1 from Quebec City to ft. Lauderdale. I would really appreciate any input on either of these embarkation ports and also on the ships - Veendam, Zaandam and Zuiderdam. We have only done 1 other HAL cruise (Westerdam last year to Alaska). How do these compare? Thanks

I sailed on the Maasdam during one of her repositioning cruises to Fort Lauderdale.  The ports were very interesting with plenty of time to experience what I wished to do.  I have sailed on all 3 of the ships you mentioned and enjoyed them all.  (I have not sailed since Veendam's aft area was "butchered", but I have sailed on the Rotterdam after such "surgery" was done.  Whomever made such a decision to do what was done to those two ships, I hope, is no longer on HAL's payroll.)

I embarked in Montreal and it was an uneventful embarkation.  I found the terminal to be somewhat dated, but I think I have read in the past couple of years that the terminal has been updated.

Loved Montreal!  Quebec City also has much to offer for the pre-cruise guest as well.  The only issue I had in Montreal was the taxi driver who took me to the pier understood little English or French.  My hotel doorman told him in French where to go when I got into the taxi.  He missed the turn to the River that he should have taken.  (I had studied the map of downtown Montreal and knew how to get to the pier from my hotel.)  When we reached the River, he clearly was lost.  By hand signals, I had to direct him to where the pier was.  (He did NOT receive a tip!)

I did this cruise on the Veendam last October from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale. I haven't sailed on the other two ships but have been on the Veendam twice and had good experiences both times.  She is an older ship without the bells and whistles of the newer models but she suited me just fine and the crew was fabulous!  The Explorations Cafe is a nice area with a coffee bar (for extra $), library, games and seating. So nice to grab a coffee and relax in one of the chairs by the windows and watch the scenery.  The one issue on my cruises (and one that has been mentioned several times on this board) is that one of the elevators in the aft bank was not working.  I have heard that the elevators are going to be repaired in the Veendam's upcoming dry dock so that should be corrected.

I was only able to fly in the day before the cruise started, so I didn't get much time in Montreal to sightsee. My hotel was only a few blocks from the terminal and embarkation was a breeze.  I was only in the check in line for maybe 5-10 minutes. Boarding had started so was able to go right to my cabin.

It was the Embassy Suites on Rue Street. It was very nice and my room was spotless. The Embassy was near the Notre Dame Basilica.  I had planned to walk over to see it the morning of embarkation but it was raining fairly hard, so I scrapped that plan and just got a taxi to the pier.  There are also some interesting boutique hotels close to the pier that looked nice online.  I was last minute booking my cruise so many of those were sold out or sky high in price.

I booked on my own and not through HAL.

Edited by cruisebie