Considering Hawaii

We've done both. Our first time was a land vacation with a week in Waikiki, then 3 days in Maui. We rented cars in both locations & saw a lot. Our second time was a POA cruise with 3 days in Waikiki before the cruise.

The land vacation was actually an extension of a prize that DW won, which was the 3 days in Maui, plus airfare. We were able to get a timeshare in Waikiki to add to the trip. We also had to pay for the inter-island air.

The cruise was an easier vacation, with no unpacking & the 2 overnights. Since we had seen Oahu on our first trip, we didn't miss much of Oahu on the cruise.

By the way, for the cruise, we flew Hawaiian Air. The had a wide body non-stop to Honolulu from JFK. This really beat the hassle of California layovers on our first trip.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:57 PM, sss08pea25bee69 said:

Would it be best to plan a land tour or do a cruise since it would be our first time going to Hawaii?

Hawaii is one of our fave vacay destinations having been there more than 20 times.  We have been to each of the 4 main islands plus Molokai (mule ride down mountain switchbacks to the leper colony) for more than a week at a time.  Our last time there we did the POA cruise and saw different things we had never seen/done before on all 4 main islands.  We really enjoyed that.  As first time visitors, the cruise gives you a nice introduction to several islands.  Once you do that, you can decide which island you prefer and return for extended land tours unless you already know which island you really want to focus on.  Then do that but as multiple time visitors, I would vote for the cruise for first-time visitors.  You would also minimize the hassles of air travel with multi island visits by land.  If you do decide to cruise, I strongly suggest the sunrise Haleakala bike tour on Maui and the lava tubing on Kauai.  Both are must do’s.

My vote would be for a land tour, I just don’t think you will get enough of a taste of each island on the cruise, as others have said pick one island and spend a week or more and really immerse yourself into the local culture and cuisine. 

Just returned from Hawaii on April 8. This is the third time we have been on POA  in the last 10+ years and this time we took our granddaughter, her husband and their two year old. We flew over on March 25th and we stayed from the 25th to the 30th at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We were in 7094 which is an obstructed family suite, which had two large floor to ceiIing windows in the main bedroom and a large window in the secondary bedroom.  This is only the second time in many years of cruising that we have have not had a balcony but I didn't want to worry about my great grandson, also was they were first time cruisers so I wanted something that was midship and had two bathrooms. We  had a great time!

If you have any questions, please let me know. I saved the daily sheets so can give you an idea what happens each day.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/11/2019 at 6:06 PM, jpnaz said:

Just returned from Hawaii on April 8. This is the third time we have been on POA  in the last 10+ years and this time we took our granddaughter, her husband and their two year old. We flew over on March 25th and we stayed from the 25th to the 30th at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. We were in 7094 which is an obstructed family suite, which had two large floor to ceiIing windows in the main bedroom and a large window in the secondary bedroom.  This is only the second time in many years of cruising that we have have not had a balcony but I didn't want to worry about my great grandson, also was they were first time cruisers so I wanted something that was midship and had two bathrooms. We  had a great time!

If you have any questions, please let me know. I saved the daily sheets so can give you an idea what happens each day.

How obstructed was the view? Would you pick that cabin again?

We are time share owners and have been to Hawaii twice, the first time was an exchange into a luxurious two bedroom, two bath condo on the Big Island, followed by another week in Kauai.  The second time was in Maui, again in a timeshare, again a two bedroom, two bath, full kitchen washer/dryer, etc.. This was augmented with  three additional nights in a rental apartment. Although we enjoy cruising, for some locations we prefer land-based holidays for a more relaxed (no worries about getting back to the ship on time!) and in-depth experience. 

I realize that this is a cruise forum so of course 99% of cruisers will suggest the cruise, to get "a taste" of each island and then choose the one(s) that they like best. But for me, peronally, Hawaii is one place where I just want to spend as much time in each location as possible. (I also feel this way about the Caribbean -- we own a timeshare in Aruba and have exchanged to most Caribbean islands --St.Maarten, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Barbados, Bonaire, Puerto Rico, Antigua, among others. I just love the fact that I can laze on the beach as long as I want without worrying about the ship leaving without me.)

• 1 month later...
On 10/19/2019 at 7:18 PM, JaelR said:

How obstructed was the view? Would you pick that cabin again?

Sorry, I never saw the notification. 

You are looking out over the lifeboats but there are two windows in the master bedroom and one in the smaller bedroom. 

This is the only ship in the Norwegian fleet that has outside family suites, the newer ships are all inside. There are only 4 so they book up quickly. 

Since you get the regular benefits of a suite, including the private boarding area, a butler, and saved seating at the shows, I would defintely book this again.