Princess lover going on HAL - again.

dsawyer

Hi everyone,

We mostly travel on Princess as it offers all the features we love. In 2003 I cruised on The Veendam with my sister and The Zuiderdam with my mother. This time I am traveling with my husband and we will be cruising on the brand new Noordam.

Anyway, after my 2 Holland America cruises. HAL easily became my 2nd favorite cruiseline and now I am anxious for my husband to also experience Holland America. What has changed since 2003 in regard to tipping, dining hours and the muster drills among other things?

I was in an outside cabin on The Veendam and an SS suite on The Zuiderdam. This time we have a VH guarantee. How will my cabin compare to a balcony cabin on Princess?

Thanks so much for any info.

By the way, I recognize many of the same names here on the Holland America message board. They were great then and they haven't changed one bit. :cool:

The tipping policy is, $10 per day per person in the room automatically added to your room charge everyday. If you want, we can adjust it either up or down, but most leave it as is. A lot of people will tip for room service at the time of service. Life boat drill is still before the ship leaves the dock so they can take another head count of everyone attendance. Some of the ships are doing the "flexible" dinning hours. Early seating is from 5:30 to 6:00 pm and then the doors close at the time. Second seating is from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm and the door closes at 9:00. We just came off he Oosterdam yesterday and dinning seemed to flow OK. Our table met on time and didn't have any problems, some tables had people wondering in during the full hour available (second seating).

That sounds great.

How about bar service? Do we still have to carry money around to tip them? That was one thing we disliked about HAL. I absolutely do not like to have to worry about money while on the ship. Are they adding gratuity to bar bills now?

How about cappucino? Still free?

Do they still have the cute bellringers for dinner? and the yum yum man?

Thanks again.

Well, you'll be happy (I think). 15% is now added to each drink purchase, so you will not have to carry money.

Cappucino is still served with no charge. I usually have one in the dining room with dessert, so I know for sure.

They still have the cute bellringer and the Yum Yum Man dispensing ginger and mints after dinner at the dining room door.

How had you heard that the muster drill changed, dsawyer? It hasn't.

No, I did not hear that it had changed just hoping it had. I know they have to have a muster but I like it better the way Princess does it.

How about Dutch night? Do they still have it? There is no way my husband is going to put on that dutch boy hat. (Although he would look cute in it.)

If they still have it, I would love to do The Pinnacle that night. What night do they usually have it on a 11 day cruise?

I love all the little cozy lamps and fresh flowers everywhere - do they still have those? how about those appetizers before dinner in the lounges?

Will I have a bathrobe in my verandah cabin? We did not have them on The Veendam but had them in our SS suite on The Zuiderdam.

Do they still have the repeater party in the middle of the day?

Archived