Internet Speed on the Epic in the Med

My husband and I are going to be on the Epic for a week in the Med this summer.  We are leaving our two little darling children behind with my mom and will need to email and possibly Facetime a few times with them while away.  My husband also runs a sizeable business and will need some email/text contact with his shop and manager in charge.

Looking over the internet packages we're trying to decide between 250 minutes for $105 or Unlimited Premium for $206.

Typically we fully disconnect when on vacation but we won't be able to on this trip being that we're also doing a land portion with it, so we'll be gone for 12 days in total.   I am curious as to the internet quality/speed on the Epic.  I'd prefer to spend $105, lol.  But if the speeds are slow and we are likely to burn through those 250 minutes quickly, I'd rather get the $206 and not have to purchase a second plan onboard. 

I was OK with 250 minutes last year (Epic, western Mediterranean) even though I read news a lot and had to use bank websites and keep in touch with work. My phone plan has very inexpensive international data, which I used on shore.

Not worth it. consider the time zone differences.  During the entire cruise, you will be 7 hours ahead of EDT. So 8am in New York is 3pm cruising, 1pm in New York will be 8pm on the cruise. Why go on vacation if you are going to have to be tied to your phone all night long? Also you plan on being up at 3am to face time with your children at their bedtime?

Just utilize local free wifi when you are off the ship.

Edited by Voelfgar
corrected the timezone difference

58 minutes ago, Voelfgar said:

Why go on vacation if you are going to have to be tied to your phone all night long?

You're right.  I should just cancel all of my vacations because I have children that I need to check on and my husband runs a business that requires his involvement from time to time.

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

My phone plan has very inexpensive international data, which I used on shore.

I definitely plan to use my cell phone for the land portion before the cruise.  So maybe the smaller internet package would be best considering the cost to use my phone vs the internet package.