Copenhagen DIY or private tour?

We will be in Copenhagen with kids ages 14, 12 and 10 in August.  We want to walk around Downtown to get a feel for the city, and also visit Tivoli gardens and take a canal cruise.  We do not want to go to museums and none of the ship tours sound appealing.

Is it reasonable to DYI or should we hire a private guide? Since there are 5 of us, getting a taxi that fits us all is a challenge.  We've never taken public transportation in Europe before.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi,

We are a family with teenagers and my parents. We ended up booking a Segway tour with this company: Segway Cruise Copenhagen - they have been so helpful and respondent to my thousands of questions (!)

They are located by the cruise terminal, so no transport to/from their place which is great.

The kids are looking so much forward to a more fun tour. And they have arranged a rickshaw for my parents to follow along the tour. They gave us a discount as we then ended up being 7 people booking. They also do e-bike tours as we were thinking of this also.

But I can highly recommend them, they are really friendly and helpful and have also helped us with a further itinerary in Copenhagen.

We stayed in Copenhagen precruise, so we got a transportation card.  We had a 3.5 year old and were able to easily diy all cities except St. Petersburg.  The public transportation is excellent.  You might want to organize a tour or transportation if you choose to visit Berlin, or dock in nynashamn instead of Stockholm. Aside from that, you’ll be fine on your own.  

My cruise review Talks about kid friendly options in the baltics.  In addition to these, there’s a reindeer excursion outside Helsinki and an impressive train replica in the grand market in St. Petersburg and if you google best guides children’s page they’ll have ideas for experiences for older kids in St. Petersburg.  It’s a great trip and I’m sure your kids will have a wonderful time

Edited by kitkat343