Where to stay in Dover area??

FritzG

We’re sailing from Dover on 9/9/19, and we’ll probably arrive in the area on Sept. 6, late in the evening.  We’d like to tour the area before we sail.  Where would you suggest staying that wouldn’t take too long to get to the port on sailing day?  We’re seniors and prefer 4* type properties.

I don't know how many stars it has but Premier Inn Dover Central Eastern Ferry Terminal is popular as is The Best Western.

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/kent/dover/dover-central-eastern-ferry-terminal.html

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186313-d1986216-Reviews-Best_Western_Plus_Dover_Marina_Hotel_Spa-Dover_Kent_England.html

For sightseeing, the obvious place to go isDover Castle https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/dover-castle/ you will need a taxi to get there as the hill is quite steep.

I would look to stay in Canterbury, much more to do and travel to. You can get to Dover easily on day of cruise and still have time to maybe go up to Dover castle if you take a taxi to Dover from Canterbury. Dover itself has few other attractions and most accom is only really suited to overnight stays.

We stayed at The Churchill Guest House. We loved it! The Dover Castle is right up the hill! We walked up, but, I don't think I could do it again! The town is very walkable and the port isn't far from it. It's best to go by cab to the port, though. Enjoy your cruise!

Most accommodation in Dover itself is in guest houses & B&B's, such as in karinad's post.

Best bets for a hotel in Dover are probably Premier Inn and Best Western, both linked in Bob's post. I think both are 3*, but are on the waterfront and only a 5-minute taxi hop to the cruise terminal or the castle or the train station.

You'll get a better choice of accommodation - and restaurants - in Canterbury, but it's a 30 minute train ride from Dover, a train every 30 minutes (but less frequent on sundays - like 8th Sept). Even if you don't stay in Canterbury it's well worth a full-day.

So I suggest a day to see Canterbury and a day to see Dover Castle, and decide whether you want accommodation handy to the ship in Dover or a wider choice in Canterbury.

Canterbury is the better bet to visit if the weather is poor, so if the first day is fine go to Dover Castle that day.

JB :classic_smile:

Edited by John Bull

I'd recommend Folkestone. Some nice hotels such as The Cliffe and the Burlington. Very handy for getting round to other places such as Dover and Canterbury. Very short train ride to Dover or quick taxi trip. Bus to Canterbury or go to Hythe and do a trip on the steam train to Dungeness.