Aruba beach within walking distance

MomDawn

We were on the 3/17-3/27 HAL Koningsdam Wayfarer with the last of 6 stops in Aruba.  We didn't pre-plan an excursion as I thought we might be tired of the sun.  We were.  We walked toward Surfside Beach, a public beach that was to the right of the pier toward the airport.  We stopped where there was nice shade before Linear Park, not far from some Porta-johns.  It was a 30 minute walk, one way.  It was not a particularly nice beach, but it was free.  We enjoyed watching local kids playing, planes coming in and out, and people going by on jetskis and paddleboards.

If I went again, I would hop in a van to Eagle Beach, though.  Friends went for $25pp, round trip, with set pick-up times back to the ship.  There were lots of local transport vendors, and they seemed very professional.  No one we knew had any problems, and everyone said it was the most beautiful beach of the trip.

• 3 weeks later...

You can also easily take the bus to any of the Northern beaches for $5 per person round trip (a little more if the kiosk selling round trip cards is closed).  The station is just across the street from the port.

Edited by mcmarya

On 4/14/2019 at 5:25 PM, MomDawn said:

We were on the 3/17-3/27 HAL Koningsdam Wayfarer with the last of 6 stops in Aruba.  We didn't pre-plan an excursion as I thought we might be tired of the sun.  We were.  We walked toward Surfside Beach, a public beach that was to the right of the pier toward the airport.  We stopped where there was nice shade before Linear Park, not far from some Porta-johns.  It was a 30 minute walk, one way.  It was not a particularly nice beach, but it was free.  We enjoyed watching local kids playing, planes coming in and out, and people going by on jetskis and paddleboards.

If I went again, I would hop in a van to Eagle Beach, though.  Friends went for $25pp, round trip, with set pick-up times back to the ship.  There were lots of local transport vendors, and they seemed very professional.  No one we knew had any problems, and everyone said it was the most beautiful beach of the trip.

It doesn't sound like you went far enough along Surfside to get to the nice beach area. Near Splash Park, there is a nice restaurant with a vendor nearby with chairs and umbrellas for rent. It is a great place to spend the day, but as you mentioned, this part would have been a pretty far walk from the pier. Unfortunately,  right now there are no great beaches that are a close walk from the pier. There is talk about developing the area where they tore down the old Bushiri Hotel almost two years ago,  but things happen on island time, so there's no telling how long that will take.

• 4 weeks later...

agree - we love surfside beach

we spent most of our days there while there for a week long SCUBA trip - came back from diving to chairs, delicious food, good wine - MUCH more affordable than any of the places on Eagle beach - also more of a local hangout than Eagle or Palm

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, rockymtn2 said:

Is snorkeling any good from Surfside Beach.  I have my own equipment.  I realize there are much better places to snorkel, but wondering if there's anything in walking distance.

I don't think there's much to see around Surfside.  As you said, there are much better places to snorkel..

If you want to snorkel, the best place has been Catalina Cove (get off #10A, Arashi, bus at Boca Catalina).  Unfortunately, recently it was not as good as usual--lot of brownish stuff in the water that made visibility poorer than usual.  All the Catamaran trips stop there.