River Tubing - Can you Compare?

scsagh

Has anyone done the river tubing who has also done the cave tubing in Belize? Is there much difference in the just floating part? We have also been tubing on the Apple River (those from the Wisconsin/Minnesota area). Would it be much different?

Not sure if we want to spend our time in Jamaica tubing.

Thanks for any input!

• 1 month later...

We did the river tubing last month. It was a lot of fun. You float for about 20 mins then stop part way down for a break. They also have a computer set up to sell you pix at that point. The on for about another 10 mins or so of tubing. Like I said, it was fun and it was a great time. The best part was when my dh popped his tube partway down, just stay away from the wire covered wall..hehe;)

That's what i'm talking about! $20 - tell me how. I have 4 kids and the wife - can we take a taxi and just pay admission? How much is it?

Well, I went with Peat Taylor. I paid the $20 directly to the tubing operator. I paid $35 for the rest of the tour. I would imagine you could take a taxi and pay the $20 each directly to the tubing operator. I wouldn't have any idea how much a taxi would be, though.

I'm a solo female traveller so my situation is somewhat different, but I'd be afraid to take a taxi in Jamaica.

Thanks - i think i will contact Pete, Did you do the falls and shopping too?

We did the falls and shopping too. It was fun.:) I think the price for the falls + shopping + tubing was $55, excluding any tips.

This is the address for Phil Lafayette's web page. You can click on his tours to see what he has, and/or click on bookings and send him a message on what you want to do. We went to the Falls, did River Tubing, took tour of island and stopped for a lunch of jerk and Jamaica beer. It was one of the best days of any cruise we have done. Would go back in a heart beat. Phil is awesome!

http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com/

Has anyone done the river tubing who has also done the cave tubing in Belize? Is there much difference in the just floating part? Not sure if we want to spend our time in Jamaica tubing.

Thanks for any input!

Back to the originial post here....we have done both...the cave tubing in Belize and the river tubing in Ocho Rios. In my opinion there was a big difference. When we did the cave tubing, it required constant paddling...the river current was not swift enough to keep you moving. When we got done, I had bruises on my upper arms from rubbing against the tube while paddling. Also the water level in Belize would often be low enough that we would have to get out and carry the tubes. This may have been due to the time of year (June) that we were in Belize. I've read that the river does flow pretty quickly after rains.

On the other hand, the river was quite swift in Ocho Rios...not anything scary, but definitely fast enough that you didn't have to work. There were times the current would carry us over to the side or get us hung up in rocks, but the guides were always there to get you "unstuck".

At one point on the tour, we all stopped and got out of our tubes and climbed up a hill to a small cliff overlooking the river. I nearly had heart failure, but my kids (young adults) and my husband all jumped off the cliff into the water. Most of the river isn't too deep, but this one spot had a deep "hole" where they jumped.

Which tubing trip did I prefer? The actual floating was much more fun in Jamaica, but nothing could compare to floating through the caves in Belize! In other words...both were great...just different.

This past summer (2005) we booked a tour in Ocho Rios with Phil Layfayette that included the river tubing. When we were in Ocho Rios in 2002 we used Peat Taylor as our guide but didn't do the river tubing at that time...I know I've read he now takes people there.

Both guides were excellent...you won't go wrong with either one. Both times the Jamaican tour was the highlight of the cruises. I've read so many people say how awful Jamaica is and I'm convinced its because they don't see the Jamaica that these two men showed us. :)

This past summer (2005) we booked a tour in Ocho Rios with Phil Layfayette that included the river tubing. When we were in Ocho Rios in 2002 we used Peat Taylor as our guide but didn't do the river tubing at that time...I know I've read he now takes people there.

Both guides were excellent...you won't go wrong with either one. Both times the Jamaican tour was the highlight of the cruises. I've read so many people say how awful Jamaica is and I'm convinced its because they don't see the Jamaica that these two men showed us. :)

I agree 100% with mathgal. In April 2005 we had our tour with Phil Layfayette. My husband and I still talk about th etour, the singing, and the great time we had with our group. We had friends that booked a different tour and to put the 4 of us together you would think we had been in tow different ports. They had a awful time and will never return again. We booked for October and wanted to see Jamaica agian! I saw a beautiful island and Phil & others I met made the day:)

I took the tour with Phil Lafayette:) . We had a great time. He was fun. He knows his country. We only wanted to do the tubing. Been to falls before many times. The tubing was great. There were two gentlemen swimming beside us to guide us along the way. They are so strong from doing this. I gave him a $10 tip. I think they work for tips only. They deserved it!!!!

I agree with the single lady....do not travel around Jamaica by your self. We did have a problem after tubing. There were two men standing outside the gates at the end of the tube ride. We were going to the bus to get our money so we could purchase the pictures. They started making lewd remarks along with jesters. Totally disgusting!!! We reported them to the bus driver and within 20 seconds they were gone. We (Judie and myself) are old enough to be their mothers. Would they like it if their mothers were talked to like that. It was an ugly scene and I thank god we were on a tour. The drivers and tour guides do try very hard to protect you from this kind of conduct.

Archived