2109 world cruise cancellation deposit refund/credit

larsgary

Has anyone had any experience with getting some type of future cruise credit, compensation or upgrade after cancelling a cruise and leaving a significant amount with MSC?  I cancelled the 2019 world cruise over 6 months ahead of time and (per their rules) MSC retained my >$5000 and also re-sold my cabin and sailed sold-out.  I always assumed they would acknowledge the $5k donation/loss and grant some kind of discount, credit, upgrade or favorable treatment on my next cruise, but I am finding this is not the case and the MSC USA reservations representative has no sympathy.  Just checking to see if anyone has had better experience and if there is a particular point of contact for these matters?  

1 hour ago, larsgary said:

Has anyone had any experience with getting some type of future cruise credit, compensation or upgrade after cancelling a cruise and leaving a significant amount with MSC?  I cancelled the 2019 world cruise over 6 months ahead of time and (per their rules) MSC retained my >$5000 and also re-sold my cabin and sailed sold-out.  I always assumed they would acknowledge the $5k donation/loss and grant some kind of discount, credit, upgrade or favorable treatment on my next cruise, but I am finding this is not the case and the MSC USA reservations representative has no sympathy.  Just checking to see if anyone has had better experience and if there is a particular point of contact for these matters?  

Have you contacted your insurance company?  The company that insured your cruise in case of emergencies?  

19 minutes ago, larsgary said:

Sorry, I should have said insurance did not apply (it was not 'cancel for any reason' policy upgrade).  

In the future, you might look at independent insurance companies for ins., including the CFAR policy.  Many have found better coverage for more affordable rates. 

I have no experience, but I guess it depends on where you booked.    For example, in Germany a trader cannot take advantage of a cancellation (or suffer any loss), so if the room was resold for the original price then MSC could only charge an admin fee for the cancellation.

You might also be better writing a letter, as I doubt the call centre agents have much power to refund 5k (when it is against the terms of sale).

I'd just suck it up to a hard lesson learned. It's stated in the terms that it's a non-refundable deposit. 😞 I had trouble getting an allowed deposit refunded so I highly doubt they'd give you one for a deposit that they're entitled to keep.