Mr Grumpy stays ashore - QE2 Transatlantic January 2006

guernseyguy

Queen Victoria

Later, at the Officers Party I asked him 'how fast will she be' and he said 'oh, 22 - 23 knots'. So, no express liner she! Come to think of it, the Aquitania could do more than 22 knots.....but thats progress for you!

I think he was just hedging his bets in case they lost a pod somewhere and had to limp about on only three <G>

Captain Rynd

- you could practically hear someone being spanked on the bridge in the background!

Oh, those Brits! They are known for that, aren't they? <EG>

The Cabin Cavalcade

This sounds like a simply marvelous idea- Especially in light of the uniqueness of many of the cabins! Wouldn't be as effective on the QM2, but even still, it would be interesting to see how the other half or quarter, as it were, live.

World Club and Senior Officer's Party

As expected, I received my invitation to the World Club party, but in a pleasant surprise was also invited to the Senior Officer's party - who gets picked for this and how I know not. discourage us from drinking so much....

I had heard Platinum and those invited to the Captain's table on the sailing. I truly do not know. Marc and I were invited, as were another cc couple (who shall remain nameless unless they wish to out themselves. You know how dreary it is to have the masses, hoi polloi, and of course, the paparazzi hounding you once they know you are hiding in the crowd! <VEG>) It was held in G32 (Disco) on the QM2. This is not very good space for moving about, and not enough seats, since Platinum members tend to be "not Disco types" and might prefer sitting to standing and milling. Not to mention difficukt to hold shrimp, champagne, napkin, and have a paw left to shake hands with those you meet!

More to come....'Things naughty people do', 'Favourite spots on QE2', 'New York - MANHATTAN' and 'Disembarkation'.

Peter

Oooh! This sounds great! Can't wait Peter!

Hey, we've had posts on the thread by Peter and Paul- Can Mary be far behind? (Maybe that's the Queen Mary!)

Thanks again for these fabulous reports! When will we get to see some still shots from that video?

Karie,

In cruising withdrawal

I think he was just hedging his bets in case they lost a pod somewhere and had to limp about on only three

Naughty! Naughty! Naughty! If the QV loses one of her two pods I doubt she'd be capable of much more than 15 knots....10 day crossing anyone?

Oh, those Brits! They are known for that, aren't they?

He's actually a Kiwi - but is in the Royal Navy Reserve and sounds very British.......

Peter

Peter,

I do hope your section on "things naughty people do" will not contain any names; must protect the guilty! I must say, a look at some of our camera memory cards would have been quite incriminating!

Julia

Julia,

You'll be the STAR of 'things naughty people do' - in a nice way of course! (Remember the Fashion Police.......);)

Peter

In both Mauretania and Caronia the dining experience is like that of being in a 'well-oiled machine'

You would have had fun at our table in Caronia! Or rather, Mr. Grumpy would have ;) !

That said, I have come to the conclusion that this was an extreme rarity. Virtually everyone I spoke to not at my table seemed satisfied with their service... Of course some were more enthusiastic about it than others, but I didn't come across anyone else who had genuinely bad service.

Of course, back home, a lot of people who haven't been on her recently simply said, "Ah, well, typical QE2 then..." Fortunately I'm pretty confident that that is no longer the case.

The decision to steer a course via the Azores was clearly made to avoid discomfort to many of the world cruisers at the expense of the WCC.

They pay more than we do ;) !

I imagine that if one took a poll among all the passengers on the ship, those who actually wanted bad weather would have been in the minority by far. Even though full-cruise passengers were in the minority, no doubt many of those disembarking in NYC still weren't ship enthusiast/WCC-type people - actually, I think we had a lot of pax attracted purely by the low last-minute fares and nothing else.

Wouldn't be as effective on the QM2, but even still, it would be interesting to see how the other half or quarter

Unless one got invited into the penthouses, on QM2 it would be positively dull. Excluding the penthouses, I think you could see every cabin type on the whole ship in only four or five cabins.

On QE2 the Cavalcade comprised 21 cabins (if I counted correctly) and we hardly scratched the surface. There must be at least 100 different cabin layouts on QE2, probably many more. On QM2, even counting the penthouses (most of which are necessarily unique, or have only one duplicate), I doubt if there are more than 15.

Personally I was also invited into two other cabins by people who didn't want dozens of people tramping through - one was a fairly ordinary M1 grade, the other (I am a bit ashamed to say) was one of the penthouses/"rabbit hutches".

More in my review which I assure you is coming eventually ;) ...

You would have had fun at our table in Caronia! Or rather, Mr. Grumpy would have ;) !

That said, I have come to the conclusion that this was an extreme rarity. Virtually everyone I spoke to not at my table seemed satisfied with their service... Of course some were more enthusiastic about it than others, but I didn't come across anyone else who had genuinely bad service.

Doug,

Delighted to hear that our Caronia dining experience was the exception and far from the rule. I was afraid that Cunard standards were/are slipping down the fabled slippery slope....

Meanwhile, equally delighted to hear your repeated mention of the review-to-come of our crossing. Here I am in Florida now, just waiting for it to appear!

Paul

Paul,

In both Mauretania and Caronia the dining experience is like that of being in a 'well-oiled machine' - things come promptly, when they are supposed to, and wine on the wine list is available. I never felt the Britannia Restaurant on the QM2 was 'well oiled' - staffed by enthusiastic and energetic wait staff, charging around, but things not infrequently took longer than they should - 10-15 minutes for cereal at breakfast, or arrived way too late - wine arriving as main course is finished.....now this voyage was after she had been in service for over a year.......

Peter

I agree with Peter. The term he uses - "well-oiled" - more appropriately describes the QE2 dining room experience. Britannia, on the other hand, is an erratic, haphazard experience, with long waits for ordered items and poor wine-meal coordination among the more frustrating aspects of the dining room. The service in Todd English is, at least in my opinion, is closer to what I observe and experience, most generally, in Caronia on QE2.

Interesting perspectives. I did not have any problems with lunch and dinner in Britannia including timely delivery of the wine. The service and food were spectacular, and we never felt rushed. But, breakfast was haphazard on a couple of mornings, and on one morning it was downright attrocious. I ended up with an impression that they must be training waiters in the morning, because it was so far apart from lunch and dinner.

I still wonder whether this is a bit of random luck/bad-luck, or whether there is a consistent higher level of service quality in the QE2 dining rooms. I know I read several reviews in the past that were very rough on the QE2 dining experience. Ideally, service would be so consistently good on both ships that random luck would not play a part in it. Since I have never been on the QE2, it is just academic speculation on my part, not personal experience.

Paul

It is interesting to see how emphasis hase changed in the postings on these boards over the past few years. In the months leading up to the launch of QM2 little was heard of QE2. There was a new kid on the block and the old lady was largely forgotten. Now that the newness has worn off and there has been time to make comparisons people are realising that the QM experience doesn't always come up to that on the old timer.

We will miss her when she is gone.

David.

I still wonder whether this is a bit of random luck/bad-luck, or whether there is a consistent higher level of service quality in the QE2 dining rooms. I know I read several reviews in the past that were very rough on the QE2 dining experience. Ideally, service would be so consistently good on both ships that random luck would not play a part in it. Since I have never been on the QE2, it is just academic speculation on my part, not personal experience.

Paul

Paul:

For what it's worth...I was on this crossing with Peter, my fifth QE2 transatlantic - first in '81, last four 2003, 2004, 2004, 2006. The service in Mauretania has been excellent on these last four voyages. The staff have been very hardworking, and efficient. The meals have been very good, especially this last trip. In particular, the Mauretania lunch menus for this crossing were very nice.

Tom

In order to dispel further confusion over my reference to the 'Fashion Police' I thought I'd better get on with my witterings.....somewhat delayed by the discovery of something EVEN NAUGHTIER than the 'Fashion Police' - I was shocked, truly shocked.....

Things naughty people do.....

In the number one spot is this: http://*****.com/77wz7(photographic evidence half way down the page) Frankly I was astounded. People risking life and limb to stroke something big, red and throbbing. I'm sure Dr Freud would have something to say about it. Is he a passenger? Of course whats really infuriating is I WASN'T INVITED!!! It reminds me of Sheila Hancock reminscing about her early days in London Review, driving her co-star, Kenneth Williams as pillion on her Vespa, going round and round Piccadilly Circus, in the days when you could. This was Sixties 'Swinging London' and Williams would wave his umbrella at all and sundry shouting 'Where are all the orgies? And WHY HAVEN'T WE BEEN ASKED? Oh well, I did do something no one will ever do again and stroked the funnel of CARONIA....and that involved nothing more dangerous than navigating the putting green.....So, in second place...

Playing Fashion Police. Its not pretty and its not clever, but it is fun....First, check the Daily Programme to see which Dining Room is having a Captain's Cocktail party, and when. Second, sit in the Chart Room, forward near the Mauretania painting, to best view the queue that forms to shake hands with the Captain (or have their photograph taken in front of the Titanic staircase :eek: ). Third, Dry Martinis all round (start early - I reckon one needs at least three to make the most of it). Fourth, being in absolutely no position oneself to critique other's sartorial elegance....proceed to do so, without fear or favour, and especially without favour. Having four arranged around a table works well, with those facing aft offering highlights of approaching attractions, those facing forward critique of the receding visions. And one might expect quite a cavalcade of wit and beauty, of triumphs of hope over gravity, and vice versa. Verdicts should of course be delivered sotto-voce to table companions only, and one should always smile at the passing passengers. Of the several dining rooms, the consensus was that MAURETANIA was the consistently best dressed, and while the Grills had some stunningly elegant passengers, they also had the most spectacular Fashion Disasters. There's only so many rhinestones a girl can carry off, and ladies of a certain age (or indeed any age) might be best advised to check how near her undergarments the slit up the back of her gown travels - in at least one case, well north. Now of course there are some, like Julia, who would look fabulous in burlap/hessian, and carries off Haute Couture to spectacular effect. Marvellous! When one sees how well it should be worn one has a stunningly high benchmark against which one can measure the near misses, the crimplene disasters and the one flounce short of a wedding dress. Oooh look - a tart in a meringue! As I said, its not clever, and its not pretty - but if I spot you in the Chartroom, smiling at me as I meander towards the Captain's Cocktail party, I hope I'll be adding to your amusement...Finally.....

Poking fun at the Caronia upgrades who lunch in the Lido. This is how it works. You get upgraded all the way from a C6 to a C5. Passenger 'X', for example, as one wouldn't wish to embarrass Jeffrey, gets upgraded from an M6 to a C5....Sooooo looking forward to dining in the Caronia Restaurant....gets spotted in the queue in the Lido at lunchtime. One channels Karen Walker from Will & Grace, sidles up to him and hisses; 'Jeffrey! (oops, 'Passenger X'), What are you doing here! This is where the poor people eat! Ignore stares and looks of affront from other passengers in the queue. Have another Dry Martini......

Favourite spots on QE2

I spent most of this voyage using the rooms on Quarter Deck - Queen's Room for Afternoon tea and various parties, and the Chart Room, was confirmed as bar of choice. I find the Golden Lion too smokey, and service in the Crystal bar either side of the Mauretania stampede erratic. The addition of the Funnel Bar on the Signal Deck looks like an improvement - and we enjoyed several pre-lunch drinkes there - always good to get some fresh air.... After the wonderful Library on the QM2 the QE2's appears pokey by comparison. And of course the lovely Champagne Bar, ex-Grill Bar, is the ship's hidden gem.

New York - Manhattan

On the QE2's final call into Manhattan you had to get up - in this case VERY early as (I suspect) with the Coastguard inspections etc involved, Captain Rynd was keen to dock early. Past experience told me I would see little other than the backs of people's heads from the Observation deck, below the Bridge, so I got a good spot on Sun Deck aft, first to watch the Verazzano Narrows Bridge, then Port to pass the Statue of Liberty, Starboard for the sail up the North River, as John Maxtone Graham provided a fascinating commentary, lamenting that this would be the QE2's last call in Manhattan. I stayed on deck as others went below and was one of the few on the observation deck below the bridge to watch the QE2 being tied up to Manhattan for the last time....

Disembarkation

After the hour wait to pass immigration from the QM2, followed by 45 minutes to get a taxi, it was a refreshing surprise to be through Immigration and into the taxi within 30 minutes from the QE2. Possibly there were fewer non-Americans on the QE2 than QM2, and certainly more with English as first language - but this disembarkation seemed to go a lot smoother than any had in the past. Typical. The West Side piers FINALLY get their act together, including heated newly painted sheds, and Cunard moves to Brooklyn......A swift 10 minute taxi ride saw me in my Hotel by Columbus circle....with a room SMALLER than an M5!....but more of that later....

To follow.....'New York, New York!' 'Thoughts on QE2 vs QM2', 'Caronia vs Mauretania' and any final conclusions......and parting thoughts from Mr Nitpicker.....

Peter

Things naughty people do.....

In the number one spot is this: http://*****.com/77wz7(photographic evidence half way down the page) Frankly I was astounded. People risking life and limb to stroke something big, red and throbbing. I'm sure Dr Freud would have something to say about it. Is he a passenger? Of course whats really infuriating is I WASN'T INVITED!!!

To follow.....'New York, New York!' 'Thoughts on QE2 vs QM2', 'Caronia vs Mauretania' and any final conclusions......and parting thoughts from Mr Nitpicker.....

Peter

Hi Peter

Have enjoyed you scribblings and must say we apologise for any offence that you have been caused. I shall ensure that next time you are on board an invitation to visit the pinnacle of the ship is arranged for you. There are some other excursions available too, for the equally adventurous.

On the Queen Mary the exploring went over the top, almost literally. It is such an amazing place to visit.

Peter, great review. Curious, though, as you said this was the QE2's last stop in New York. Were you refering to NYC, as they will now be berthing in Red Hook? If so, yes, it is unfortunate. Sad when these things change.:( I've always loved and cherished the memories of crossings that ended in NYC. We're crossing on a Celebrity Cruise (can't call it a crossing unless it's on a liner, no matter what John Maxtone Graham says when lecturing on Celebrity!) this Spring to Dover, and departing from Port Liberty, NJ, which the PR people must think sounds better than sailing from Bayonne!:eek: Red Hook starts to look better...

We are looking at booking the Spring '07 crossing on QE2. We just recieved the brochure, and there's a crossing set for April 21, 2007 from Southampton to NY-Brooklyn. Looks like the next time we'll be back with Cunard...

Andrew

A swift 10 minute taxi ride saw me in my Hotel by Columbus circle....with a room SMALLER than an M5!....but more of that later....

Peter

You must be speaking of the Hudson! I hope you are, as I hope there isn't another hotel with rooms like that!

A beautiful hotel, but with rooms so small, you don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Were you refering to NYC, as they will now be berthing in Red Hook?

NYC stands for New York City... Which Brooklyn is part of ;) !

I guess this was QE2's last call in New York County though. (Each borough of NYC is its own county. Manhattan is New York County, Brooklyn is Kings County, Queens is Queens County, Staten Island is Richmond County, and the Bronx is Bronx County.)

departing from Port Liberty, NJ, which the PR people must think sounds better than sailing from Bayonne!

Actually they call it "Cape Liberty Cruise Port (Port of New York), NJ". Aside from being an utterly cumbersome name (no wonder nobody can remember it!) there is the added ridiculousness of it not being on a Cape of any sort!

Peter, great review. Curious, though, as you said this was the QE2's last stop in New York.

Hi Andrew - last call at Manhattan - its unprepossessing Red Hook, which I saw from the Staten Island Ferry, from now on.....

Peter

You must be speaking of the Hudson! I hope you are, as I hope there isn't another hotel with rooms like that! A beautiful hotel, but with rooms so small, you don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Kyle,

Got it in one! Made my C5 seem positively spacious - And my room even had a view of the QE2 on the Hudson, or is that North River......but I'm getting ahead of myself.....

Peter

Doug, must admit to a lack of familiarity with either Brooklyn or Bayonne, so not surprised I got the names/acronyms wrong!:) Funny because the company I work for is one of the largest landowners in both Manhattan and Brooklyn, and just purchased a professional sports team to move them from New Jersey to Brooklyn. The developemt they're building is called Atlantic Yards, and I was wondering if that was close to Red Hook. There are very ambitious plans for office, retail, and housing, so it may not be such a non-destination as we fear (of course that's going to take 20 years to develop! And it's STILL not Manhattan...)

And that last phrase might be a nice segue back to Peter's time "on the island." Sorry for the highjacking of the thread.

Andrew

Brooklyn is QUITE the destination as it is... how many of us "hang out" on 12th Ave in the West 50's near the Manhattan docks? Same with Brooklyn... there is A LOT more to it than the dock area.

Andrew, ya know I love ya from our time on that crossing, but I gotta say it:

The Atlantic Yards are not welcome in Brooklyn (ouch!).

Michael

Michael, no offense taken- not my project!:D

Real estate developers are often as welcome as lawyers or IRS agents, as far as most folks are concerned. But the company DOES do good work.

And, to be fair, my knowledge of Brooklyn isn't perhaps as limited as I implied. My neice lives in Brooklyn Heights, and the company also developed Metrotech Ctr., so I know there's a little more to Brooklyn than piers- I was actually wondering what was around Red Hook itself.:)

My New York geography isn't that great....but sometimes you New Yorkers...:rolleyes: ...tell a New Yorker you're from San Francisco, and they reply "Oh, yes, I've heard of that place...it's West of here, somewhere, isn't it?" And then they try to teach you about being in a 'big city' and ask you to kick the dirt from your boots before entering their apartments!:eek:

All the best to you two, Michael!

Andrew

Bayonne or Brooklyn, no matter what they try to call it or paint it, neither dock will ever come up to the Hudson River Piers that are attached to Manhattan Island. Simply not the same in any way shape of form.

This has all been done in the name of economy for the cruise lines, the passenger and their convenience, comfort or enjoyment be D.

'New York, New York!'

As Kyle so cleverly guessed, I was staying in the Hudson Hotel close to Columbus Circle - in a room, at 140 sq feet that was CONSIDERABLY smaller than my C5. Checking my email that morning I'd had an email from the Morgan Hotel Group - whose stable includes the Hudson, offering me a lower rate than I'd booked (new bookings only...) nonetheless the hotel honoured that too, so more money for New York! Apart from TINY rooms, the Hudson has got wireless internet for $10/day - so after 6 days of internet withdrawal (it was that or penury, given the QE2's access rates) I was back online to find that....very little had changed.....but it was fun to vicariously share some of the other crosser's onward journeys from New York. As with my hotel last trip, I had a vew of the North River, so saw the QE2 at her final berth in Manhattan.....and later that evening, returning from cocktails, saw she was gone. On my first night, feeling a bit zonked I opted for the Hudson's restaurant - interesting 'preppy comfort food' it has been described, and so it was. Other (better) food was to be had at the Cafe des Artistes a few blocks away, and at the Biltmore Room in Chelsea, for dinner on subsequent nights. The other highlights of New York were going to see a still very fresh (though in that week, having just become the longest running Broadway show ever) Phantom of the Opera, as Ted Scull had advised during one of his talks, taking the Staten Island Ferry across the Harbour ' seeing 'Red Hook' en route:eek: :eek: :eek: and the Virgin Atlantic Club House at JFK. One was travelling Steerage, but as a Singapore Airlines Chief Panjandrum of the Universe card holder I was allowed to mingle with my betters. Unfortunately I was too busy inhaling their wonderful Cosmos (as good as San Francisco's) to tug my forelock......

'Thoughts on QE2 vs QM2'

As the barman at the Funnel Bar commented, it depends on whether you prefer a 1969 Jaguar to a 2004 Jaguar - and the metaphgor is quite apt. As I never tire of reminding my new Jag owning friends - 'its a Ford'. As pieces of engineering both ships are very impressive - built in different times, but both more than capable of line voyages - true 'liner/cruise' ships. The QM2 of course has greater scale, and more spectacular spaces, so while from a functional point of view the 'hardware' reflects 35 years of progress, in the 'software' I think the QM2 still has some catching up to do. In particular the Britannia dining room is in my view quite a few notches below either the Mauretania or Caronia dining rooms, in terms of food (a bit) and in particular service (quite a lot). On the QE2 I have eaten (virtually) all my meals in the Dining Rooms - on the QM2, most in the Buffet - no man is a hypocrite in his pleasures - and on a 'Grand Liner' I do not expect to be serving myself or balancing stuff on a tray.....Apart from dining, the two are more evenly matched, some things better on the QE2, some on the QM2. For afternoon tea the QE2 is streets ahead, but for Bar Service I found the QM2's Commodore Lounge - for the views, the ambience and the friendly staff - my favourite Ocean Going watering hole. The production shows on the QM2 are better, and the whole audio/visual presentation set up for lectures much better. Where elements of the QE2's original design - such as the Queen's Room - have survived, the QE2 decor is still more to my taste - although some of the QM2's fakewoodery comes off - in particular the Library - while some of it should be taken off - in particular the Britannia Restaurant....The QM2's Library - being nearly three times larger is clearly better, as is Internet Access and the whole interactive TV thing.....So, which will I sail on next....I might be tempted by a QM2 crossing, as I prefer crossings - but if both the QE2 and QM2 were crossing I would have no hesitation - QE2!

'Caronia vs Mauretania'

My fourth crossing on the QE2 and my first in Caronia rather than Mauretania - an interesting experiment, but not one I will necessarily repeat. The cabin is, for all intents and purposes, the same as a decent M grade - maybe an extra 10 square feet somewhere you'd never use it......The Restaurant, to my view, is not as appealing as the Mauretania - lots of heavy brown wood screaming 'anonymous international hotel dining room which could be anywhere' - I prefer the lighter wood of Mauretania. The food is identical, and although the service was pretty good, I've had better in Mauretania. I always tend to dine late on a crossing - so being in the second sitting in Mauretania has never been a hardship - and I've always found a pleasant table for breakfast or lunch with no trouble. Now, the Princess Grill, on the other hand............ that might be worth thinging about, as the Cabins we saw on the Cabin cavalcade are clearly better.....and the restaurant of a different order......

Mr Nitpicker is gathering his thoughts.......

Peter:

Thank you for your excellent ongoing review of our January crossing. I really appreciate your serious treatment (nicely mixed with humor) of the topic. I am especially struck by your comparison of C Grade/Caronia Restaurant vs. M Grade/Mauretania Restaurant, as well as your feelings about the Champagne Bar.

Also, I can't stop thinking about your information regarding QE2's kitchen equipment being replaced this May during her visit to the shipyard (is it LloydWerft again ??). This would appear to be a good omen, wouldn't it ??

Best wishes

Tom

Archived