Lisbon/Portugal Issues

Bfson

If you are thinking of cruising to Lisbon, please know that the cruise ship folks are not allowed to push wheelchairs into the cruise terminal. They must stop at the base of the gangway.  You have to wait for local assistance. We sat for almost 30minutes in the cold and rain.

If flying out ofLisbon be aware there are NO curbside porters at the airport.  If you need a wheelchair you must walk into the terminal pickup a phone and try to get someone to bring a chair. Horrible situation

• 4 weeks later...

Actually the Lisbon Airport is very friendly to those who need access help. Google MyWay Lisbon and call 48 hours or more in advance and you will be met at the curb. There is even a taxi space especially for accessible vehicles. We were just there 6 weeks ago and had my best flight in a long time. I do use a wheelchair full time but the airport has many wheelchairs who do not have their own.

The cruise ship versus land based help is also a US thing due mainly to union employee contracts.

We had called ahead to My Way Lisbon, but no one at curb.  No one to help with luggage. Had to struggle to small waiting room inside.  There was a phone but no instructions as to what number to call. Wish we had had your experience.  We were there 3 weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

The taxi driver is able to drive into the parking garage. There is a big space for people arriving in a wheelchair. No curb and no step to the elevator. There you can reach every part of departures. The taxi driver also know how to call assistance. Lisbon is very wheelchair friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a Barcelona to Greenwich cruise followed by a week in London. We had an overnight in Lisbon again and we managed to get the same private guide as before. The weather was much better and we headed out to Sintra and soon had to discuss options because the palace was closed for a state occasion. Our guide spooked at his phone a bit and we were off again. We visited the furthest west point in Continental Europe and went through a forested area recovering from a drought fire several years before. Our guide was a volunteer fire spotter in the area as a teen. Then off to a long lunch out in a small beach side town that was delicious! Fresh grilled sardines, grilled octopus and garlicky little clams and huge salads washed down with vino verde. This was more driving then our previous tour due to anot approaching holiday. From how crowded the beaches were mile after mile it appeared the holiday had started. And Lisbon and the beaches north of it have wheelchair accessible to both sand and, when reserved, beach chairs that go into the water. There are mats that get you down to the sand area.  

I learned about MyWay 2 days before we left Lisbon the last time. I told our guide we had booked to take us to the airport too and he said no problem. He helped load up a trolley with our luggage and got us to the phone. He did not abandon us until he saw the MyWay staff member head our way. They have a lot of accessible and new vans to help get those who are flying from a gate without a jet way get to the elevating lifts and Yes! people actually trained to lift and understand balance issues and they also drive the lift trucks. I have yet to meet one person truly trained to do a 2 person lift of a passenger who cannot walk at all in any American airport. Maybe ask your hotel Concierge for help on any future trips with booking this terrific service. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 6:47 AM, urlaub said:

The taxi driver is able to drive into the parking garage. There is a big space for people arriving in a wheelchair. No curb and no step to the elevator. There you can reach every part of departures. The taxi driver also know how to call assistance. Lisbon is very wheelchair friendly.

Based on our trip in 2018 I agree that the airport in Lisbon is very wheelchair friendly; however the city itself can present MAJOR challenges.  All of the trams and buses we used were accessible, but few metro stops have elevators, and some that do only have an elevator for transferring from one line to the other and not from the metro to the street.  I was stuck two flights below street level and had to be practically carried up the stairs while my husband carried my wheelchair up the stairs.  Thank heavens for the three Portuguese teenagers who came to my aid!  Anyone attempting Lisbon in a wheelchair needs to be aware that the cobblestone sidewalks, although beautiful, are very rough, and the hills are daunting, especially on the way down--be sure that you have good brakes.  People there were delightful and several times came to our aid when there was an especially high curb with no cut out in sight.  

The theme was the Airport and this is very wheelchair friendly.

You are right, the city is only in parts. Taxis are cheap so it is not expensive to hire a taxi.

But be aware from Porto in Northern Portugal. Such steep areas I only saw few.