Walkie Talkie's

stx4me

Does/has anyone used these on a cruise to keep in touch with their kids onboard? We are thinking about the idea but are not sure if it would be a good investment or not.

I you do/have, can you recommend a particular brand? Any other tips/

Thanks for any replies.

any of them, that don't go BLEEP BLEEP and annoy everyone in a 20 foot radius.

ok, with that said

If you are really interested, check out Best Buy online (circuit city too).

They have a good selection.

You don't need the most expensive ones either. More channels the better.

but please, turn them down,

Works fine for locating the younger members of your party. Good for wake up calling, too, when you don't know for sure if they are in their room. Works from one end of the ship to the other, and for a good distance in port. Excellent for locating other members of your group. I've used them for my last 3 cruises. Get the longer range FRC's. And they work good for other things like convoying down the interstate with friends.:cool:

ANNOYING ...........!TO OTHERS, and DISRESPECTFUL when used in public areas as the restaurant, theatre, and by the pool where others are trying to relax and vacation to get away from celll phones and walkie-talkies.

Dave:eek:

They are great as a security thing with your kids. We bought two sets for our cruises with our girls. I told them to call us as they were leaving one area to go to our room so we know when to expect them.

Depends on how old the kids are I guess, but then again, it doesn't seem to matter to a lot of parents on board..

I am consistently amazed (not to mention annoyed) at the number of children as young as 8 or 9 who are allowed to roam (and run) the ship freely at all hours of the day and night without supervision - with walkie talkies used as the excuse for why it's okay.

How on earth can using walkie talkies to babysit children be considered "good for security"??

I truly understand the desire to furnish your children with walkie-talkies, but as stated above, they are so very annoying.

There just has to be a better alternative - something like one parent always being with the children, or something old fashioned like that!

I was going to leave this alone but I can't. ANNOYING ???? I have been bothered by a walkie talkie once or twice TOTAL in our 19 cruises. I can't remember the last cruise I was on when people's ANNOYING kids did not play the elevator games or go up and down the hallways destroying door decorations (wheather you like or dislike door decorations, they are someone else's and should be left alone), and more.

ANNOYING kids occurances are 10 to 1 over the walkie talkies. Bring the radios and leave the kids at home.

Bibb

[quote name=bibb

ANNOYING kids occurances are 10 to 1 over the walkie talkies. Bring the radios and leave the kids at home Bibb[/quote]

That is so funny - I guess you mean the radios with the headsets so that we don't all have to listen to another's choice of music. ;)

I agree....kids can be ANNOYING on cruises. But that is usually when the parents give them full range of the ship unsupervised!!!

But back to the Walkie Talkies......We have used them on all our cruises. Maybe they are ANNOYING but we are considerate when using them.

Never used them in the Dining Room or During Shows, but by the pool shouldn't be a problem when the band/music and kids screaming are louder than talking on the Walkie Tallkies.

I guess as with any of these threads........Everyone has their own opinion on what is asked.

• 4 weeks later...

Was going to leave this alone, but kind of...."Ahem what are you all talking about?" Walkie-talkies are annoying? if you're annoyed you should rest in the adult pool area. Just a thought? I can speak for my children and the ones (families) we've met on board our past cruises and I can honestly say all the kids were very respectful. Good walkies dont bleep or beep ALL the time, they give a lil bleep here & there when ur talking. Our suggestion, 2 sets & everyone have one, it cant hurt! As for the "old fashioned" comment, yes spending quality time with ur kids is KEY- having teenagers attached to your hip with duct tape is NOT a reality for this type of vacation....really now WHO SUGGESTED THAT? LOL:confused:

Archived