Closed captioning on televisions, Nieuw Amsterdam

penaddict

I know I've used CC on the new TV system  like the one on NA, but not sure if it was on NA or another of the newer ships.  I know some of the movies we watched had them, and some did not.  I'm not being much help, hope somebody has better for you.  m--

Having the "cc" option is standard on all TVs but it doesn't mean that the programs themselves will be captioned, as it depends on the provider the cruise uses and such.  Our last cruise on Celebrity a couple of years ago did not have captions working even though there is the cc option on the remote (again all TVs post late 90s have this built in).  Thanks.

20 minutes ago, penaddict said:

Having the "cc" option is standard on all TVs but it doesn't mean that the programs themselves will be captioned, as it depends on the provider the cruise uses and such.  Our last cruise on Celebrity a couple of years ago did not have captions working even though there is the cc option on the remote (again all TVs post late 90s have this built in).  Thanks.

Granted! The option worked on Eurodam during her 2018-2019 New Year's cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Each movie or other program listed in the menus will state Closed Captions if the original program is encoded with the data for captioning.  About 75% of the movies are captioned.  The live TV from MSNBC, Fox, BBC, and ESPN does not have captions.   The captioning data is an additional payload element that is encoded in the data stream from the live TV source.  When passing through multiple data processors on the way to the satellite and finally the ship, sometimes part of the total data stream doesn't make it, and closed captioning is usually the first to go.   But most other shows on the TV's will be captioned.   Hit the Select button on the remote, and you will see the CC symbol at the bottom of the screen, if the program is captioned.  Arrow right and hit select again and you can turn on or off the captions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1