QM2, Is Caviar Special?

snowshovel

A CAPer too? Wow... I was SER378, New Smyrna Beach - but I worked out of the Daytona building a goodly number of times. Toilet's been half busted as long as I can remember... Suppose I might have seen your or a friend's name on a shirt there, even =)

I'm sorry that your realization of just how much had changed around Daytona had to come with the earth-shattering loss of your dad. I can't imagine losing my father, under any circumstances. It's too soon to even try to tell you it'll be OK, but I'm sending you heartfelt wishes in the meantime. The big changes are rarely easy =(

A CAPer too? Wow... I was SER378, New Smyrna Beach - but I worked out of the Daytona building a goodly number of times. Toilet's been half busted as long as I can remember... Suppose I might have seen your or a friend's name on a shirt there, even =)

I'm sorry that your realization of just how much had changed around Daytona had to come with the earth-shattering loss of your dad. I can't imagine losing my father, under any circumstances. It's too soon to even try to tell you it'll be OK, but I'm sending you heartfelt wishes in the meantime. The big changes are rarely easy =(

Did many a bivouac on NSB airport. I don't know how old you are, but I graduated high school in 72. I still remember Col. Pishposh, (okay, maybe it was PiffPaff) Danny Simmons, (Gawd, I was in love with that boy!) Almost married a boy from Smyrna. I think Dave Colee was in the squadron, too. And of course, my squadron commander in DAB is the reason I took my first skydive. He said the day I jumped out of an airplane with a parachute on my back was the day he would join the Girl Scouts! (His wife was my Scout leader, and a GS girlfriend is who got me involved in CAP- She lives in Boston, now, BTW, and we are still friends!) I got a solo scholarship from CAP, First flight was in DAB Composite Squadron's L-5 (Taildragger) I was 14! I was in the aero cllub. (We had an L-16 Aeronca Champ) I almost crashed it - well, was about to come up short of the runway - on my 18th birthday August 10th 1972. I had done an hour and a half of touch and goes. One last landing (from the north- where there is sand and scrub- where we used to do our lensatic compass course) at New Smyrna Beach Airport. I was tired, and nervous as I was pretty sure the instructor was going to get out and let me solo (Never soloed previously - cut short the solo encampment- long story- down at New Tamiami- Stayed in Florida City, ate at Homestead AFB- now all gone, thanks to Hurricane Andrew!)

Anyway, I cut my base and final short and was coming down too soon. Managed to drag it over the end of the runway, then kept hitting left rudder- Instrcuctor,who didn't believe in pulling you out of a jam, finally jammed the right rudder as I was about to take out a runway light. I was just exhuasted! You know how hot it gets in August, and touch and goes take a lot out of you.

Well, I left for college a couple of weeks later (University of Tennessee), never soloed, and finally started flying up here in CT again. I own a 1956 172 (which hasn't been flowin in a while)

Yeah, if we're anywhere near the same age, we probably have freinds in common!

As for Dad. I know. I felt the same way, then it suddenly happened. I have probably started crying at least ten times today. First day I have really had to myself since the funeral. A lot to go through. Cherish them while you've got them. And record their voices! Everyone has pictures but I really long to hear that voice! Even if it's just a silly message on the answering machine!

Karie,

who would be happy to take it off line and not bore these people with our reminiscenses. My email is parrothead-av8r AT mindspring DOT com.

(Yeah- say that first part fast- AV8R - AVIATOR!)

Cool beans! Maybe we were related in another life!

P.S. I remember building those bathrooms in the DAB hangar! And I remember the little wooden shack at NSB. And, I have seen my share of Virga! More in FL than up here, but in FL it rains on one side of the street but not the other! In fact, we went down to Vero to see Marc's Dad one day while we were there in May- It rained on Southbound 95, but not northbound! Typical! Flying, you could really see it! And I'd sometimes leave the top down on my car while I was in band (Triumph Spitfire) There'd come up a Gullywasher. And the car would be dry by the time I got out two hours later! That's Florida for you!

Me, too. Oklahoma, Massachusetts, and Louisiana Wings in my case. Five years as a cadet (five stripes...), and way too many years now as an adult...currently an inactive Captain.

Florida Gator Caper, and Tennessee Wing. Have not joined here in CT. but was a 99 for a while.

But I suppose I owe a lot to CAP. It got me into flying, and I was a communications officer at one time- Am now in the communications industry-spent much of today restoring cellular radios! And still own a plane.

So much I owe to CAP- I stil have my 1502's Dacron Dress, although LONG not in a size I could wear!) My insignia, and my Tennessee CAP licesnse plate!

Small, small world! Wh Herron, Are you still in MASS? I am in CT.

Karie,

Who thinks we should all wear our uniforms on formal night NOT!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived