I'm going to Rome

Obie

We just booked the Apr 3rd cruise that goes to Rome. I'm catholic and want to see as much of things that relate to the Church as possible. Any suggestions as to excursions? I'm 70, don't tell anyone, and this will be my only trip here.

Thanks

I have been trying to post this all day, but lose it everytime I push submit. This is the first time in six hours that I've been able to get back into the cruise critic site. Anyway, take a look at the tours offered at Rome Walks, http://www.romewalks.com/. Wonderful company and if you don't see a tour listed, contact them and they may work something out with you.

Sharon

I think it really depends on your level of fitness. There is so much to see and it is well spread across the City and Vatican.

I suggest taking the ship tour to Rome and then do your own thing.

Select 4 places you want to see and map them out. We were dropped at the Coach Park about 200 metres from the Vatican and were shattered when we returned about 6 hours later but were grateful to fall into the coach rather than taking the train.

En route you are bound to come across several other important sites.

Just do not try to do everything in one day.

Brian

Hello,

One idea is to go to the Vatican website. They may have some ideas of

tours, etc.

I would hope you could get a guide and be in a small group.

We were not on a tour of any kind and it took a long time to finally get in and see the Sistine Chapel...

If you are there on a Wednesday, I think you can write ahead and be in the large group that will see the Pope....I think I found this on the

Vatican website...

Have a wonderful trip!

We just booked the Apr 3rd cruise that goes to Rome. I'm catholic and want to see as much of things that relate to the Church as possible. Any suggestions as to excursions?

Obie, a whole lot of stuff in Rome is church-related...

Obviously, the Vatican...(St. Peter's, the Sistine Chapel, the Vatican Museum, etc.)

But there are so many other smaller churches, many of interest...and some interesting things like the Catacombs (Where the early Catholics buried their dead--you can get a tour)...

But, the key is that you only have the port stop time...and there's SO MUCH to see...

And do you really want to see so much that's DIRECTLY church-related and miss some other tangentially related sites?

Like the Coliseum? (okay, remeber the Christians being fed to the lions?)

The Pantheon is a phenomenal old Roman temple--which was later used as a church--and is worth seeing...

And, my favorite site is the Piazza Navona (with Bernini's Fountain of the Four Rivers mocking the Chuurch of San Sebastian designed by his rival)

Last time there on a cruise, we did an excursion offered by the ship called "A Walk in Renaissance Rome" which took us to the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona in the morning and then we had an excellent guided tour of the Vatican in the afternoon...Thought it was pretty good...They also do excursions that concentrate on the Vatican...

OR...you could hire a private guide and tell them what interests you most and they can come up with a good itinerary customized for you...

Good luck...

and weird but really interesting the Cattacombs...

I agree either go with a ship tour or hire a private driver..if you need recommendations ask away.. there is so much to see and your time is short.

I think the Rome on your own where the ship bus drops you off and you have to find your way around is not the best way to go if it is your first time there and want to cover lots of ground.

Rome is our favorite city in the world and I love to go to the Vatican. If there were one thing of them all you might want to try to arrange, it would be a chance to see the scavi *beneath* St. Peters Basilica. You have to write the Vatican and ask for tickets, they are not easy to come by. You will actually see what is believed to be the original tomb of St. Peter, among many other wonderful things.

Obie,

I, too, am Catholic. My Dad and I were lucky enough to be part of a group that spent 4 days in Rome several years ago.

Excursions 2 & 7 look like they will include things that we would consider "must sees". You HAVE to go to St. Peter's and the Sistine Chapel. You will enjoy seeing the Colesium and the Via Sacra.

If you had been to Rome before, the "Inside the Vatican" looks very good, also. But, if this is your first trip, I would say that you should try to see the Colesium and some of the other sites. As you travel to them, you will pass some of the other Churches in Rome and will remember "church related" things about them.

If you have ANY free time when you are near St. Peter's, wander into the shops that are across from the open side of St. Peter's Square. We have never seen such a collection of statues, holy pictures, prayer books, etc.

Be prepared. The motor coach will have to drop you off at a least block from just about every site. From there, you will be walking, most of the time on cobblestones or uneven road surfaces.

Enjoy! You will LOVE Rome!

If you have limited time in Rome, my suggestion would be to go to the Vatican. There are free short tours of St. Peter's Basilica and the Square, and then you can hire the same tour guide, if you like him or her, to go on into the actual museum for a longer tour. (The Sistine Chapel is included in the museum tour). There is just so much to see in the museum, if you are on a limited time schedule, it is best to have a guide who can point you to the more important works, and explain the history.

The Pantheon is also a wonderful place to visit ... and very easy to get to. The Colliseum is also interesting, but the tours can take a long time.

We had some of our best times just wandering the streets and going into various churches. Often a nondescript entrance will hide a magnificant cathedral with amazing works of art. Just about every church is open to the public, and most do not even charge an entry fee.

Enjoy Rome - it is truly one of the most beautiful cities in the world!

Archived