RCCL - VOS - info needed

travelteam

Looking into booking transatlantic from Miami to Spain. Has anyone done this in a wheel-chair? How accessible is the ship and Ports:

Ponta Delgada, Azores

Lisbon, Portugal

Cadiz, Spain

Marselle, France

Barcelona, Spain

The ship tours seems to require lots of walking. Out of question for my DH.

Thanks for any help CC members can provide:D

I was not on the Voyager of the Seas, but on the Adventuer of the Ses ( Same Class ship ) The ship is very accessible. The only part taht I had a issue with was a steep gangway in Aruba, but really had no problem getting on and off the shipas the crew were very helpful in getting my scooter off ond of the ship. Every area is accessible ( with the exception of the Helicopter pad and the top most sun decks ( Nothing to see there anyway ).

You will find Barcelona very accessible. Most of it has been upgraded to prepare for the Special Olympic games a few years back.

In Lisbon we used a private driver which we found is the way to travel. We had no problem with the wheelchair. A private driver also allows you to go to several of the outside towns.

Cadiz we took a port tour with the ship. My husband was able to board a bus at the time so we did not need a lift.

Deb

The event in Barcelona was the Paralympics, NOT the "Special Olympics". The former is for elite wheelchair and other disability (blind, amputee, etc.) athletes and is part of and equal to the Olympic Games. The latter is for people with developmental disabilities and is more of a rehabilitation and recreation activity. They are VERY different events! It is so frustrating when people keep making this kind of mistake, esp. on a forum such as this one!!!!

Barcelona is more accessible than many Med cities. The Paralympics had some influence on this, but it is a very cosmopolitin city, and has a large population of people with disabilities. That is a good amount of the reason.

• 2 months later...

Archived