Best of Juneau excursion- how far is the walk?

sillychicky

Anyone know how far the walk is from where the cruise ship docks to where you get on the shuttle and/or whale watching boat on the Best of Juneau excursion that includes whale watching, Orca Point Lodge Salmon bake and Mendenhall glacier? My dad will have a scooter for long distances on the cruise ship. He has seen the pictures of the walk up to Orca Point Lodge and think he can do that. We just aren't sure how far the walk is from the ship to the whale watching boat or if they use a van or bus (with a high step) on the way there. He can do regular steps but has a harder time with extra tall steps. I want to make sure this is something he will be able to do and while some of the reviews say they were wheelchair friendly and helped load wheelchairs on/off the whale watching boat, the excursion itself is listed as "moderate" in activity.

Thanks in advance for your responses...last time I was in Juneau I wasn't traveling with my dad so my husband I chose the helicopter excursion which I totally loved. Trying something new this time and hopeful it will be good for everyone.

A significant issue with whale watching is the tides and having steep climbs or descents  up and down ramps.     

Mendenhall  is handicap accessible with paved ramps.   

It sounds   like this is a ship tour?    You need to fully disclose and be realistic about abilities,   with the shore excursion staff.    Then  go with their recommendations.    It depends on the what vendors are being used for your tours.        Pick ups are close by with the ship tours.   

Another  concern-   will  depend where you are docking???    Juneau and Ketchikan can have you docked at the floating docks,   which especially Ketchikan,  can have you walking significantly up hill at low tide.   

17 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

A significant issue with whale watching is the tides and having steep climbs or descents  up and down ramps.     

Mendenhall  is handicap accessible with paved ramps.   

It sounds   like this is a ship tour?    You need to fully disclose and be realistic about abilities,   with the shore excursion staff.    Then  go with their recommendations.    It depends on the what vendors are being used for your tours.        Pick ups are close by with the ship tours.   

Another  concern-   will  depend where you are docking???    Juneau and Ketchikan can have you docked at the floating docks,   which especially Ketchikan,  can have you walking significantly up hill at low tide.   

I think he can do steep ramps up or down if he had a handrail. I'll definitely talk to shore excursions to see if they know details. Sometimes they aren't sure and just tell you what's in their description which can be misleading. Juneau is the port we're doing this at. He has an accessible tour in Ketchikan where he can bring his scooter....same as in Skagway. The Juneau tour is the only one not specifically listed as accessible but he looked at the walk from boat dock to the lodge and was comfortable with that. I'm guessing if he has any issue with the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion (on the smaller boat) that he will opt out of the Best of Juneau one since both include getting on a smaller boat.

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

If it goes to Orca Point, it is with Allen Marine. They own the lodge. That means you will board the boat in a Auke Bay, requiring a bus ride of about 30 minutes from the ship. The bus will pick up right bear the Mt. Roberts Tramway parking lot, most likely. That is a short and flat journey from all docks aside from the one that is furthest south, used by the big Norwegian ships. That dock is quite a haul from the main port area.