6 passenger cabin questions

Thank you in advance, this site is a wealth of knowledge.  I booked an ultra spacious oceanview (8200) on liberty of the seas. Refundable deposit of coarse. One of the few cabins that hold more than 4.  A spring break week of 2021, this cruise will sell out early and be even more expensive later on.  It will most likely be just our family of 4.  But I tend to overthink "what if's" and plan for different scenarios.  So I booked 6 in this cabin with 2 placeholder names in case we want to take someone else with us.  Nearly 2 years in advance, who knows what our situation will be.  The guy at RCI seemed very knowledgable. He said it's better to book the 6 now than try to add one or two later on.  Pricing will almost certainly be higher and the ship will probably sell to capacity making it impossible to add the extra.  So the two extra placeholder names have a separate reservation number.  He seemed unsure as to how far in advance those two names are refundable.  90 days or more for sure the extra deposit is refundable.  But he seemed to think that passengers 5 and 6 may be refundable up until a few days prior to sail date.  Didn't seem right to me and he didn't seem entirely sure.  Also I'm worried about dropping the two extra placeholder names reservation at 90 days, hopefully that wouldn't reprice the entire reservation?  He said it wouldn't.  Also, since the "fake" names are both under a separate reservation number, will they only allow one of the names to be changed?  I forgot to ask him that.  

Room 8200: I chose this because it's unique and has extra space.  Much prefer the extra space and sleeping arrangements than having a balcony.  I'm concerned about the location and walking distance.  But maybe the unique room will make up for that.  Also under consideration was a spacious promenade view interior. Also a 6 passenger room more centrally located.  Does anyone have experience in either of these rooms?

We had the ultra spacious oceanview (7200)on on Adventure last November.  It is definitely a walk to everything.  However, we very much enjoyed the extra room.  There were only four of us.  It was nice to have the bunk beds for the kids and not have to take up room space with the pull out sofa.  More storage space as well.  I would definitely book the room again even with the walk to venues.  I don't have any experience with the promenade rooms.

For a refundable deposit you can cancel guests 3 and above up to the final penalty phase of the reservation which is 15 days prior to sailing and receive a full refund. 

It should not make a difference with them being on being on a separate reservation.  You should also be able to change both names on that second reservation.  

14 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

For a refundable deposit you can cancel guests 3 and above up to the final penalty phase of the reservation which is 15 days prior to sailing and receive a full refund. 

It should not make a difference with them being on being on a separate reservation.  You should also be able to change both names on that second reservation.  

Good info! Thanks!  I'm surprised they will refund the third guest that close to sailing 

We have booked the same category (room 8000) for our cruise in June.  We have 2 teens who are full sized adults, girl/boy and they will not in any way share a small sofa bed, so this room was a must for us.  Cruising is a real problem for families with teenagers, unless you can afford 2 seperate rooms. 

We considered the long walk to everything and thought it was a very small price to pay for keeping everyone happy and well rested during the week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wgeo said:

We have booked the same category (room 8000) for our cruise in June.  We have 2 teens who are full sized adults, girl/boy and they will not in any way share a small sofa bed, so this room was a must for us.  Cruising is a real problem for families with teenagers, unless you can afford 2 seperate rooms. 

We considered the long walk to everything and thought it was a very small price to pay for keeping everyone happy and well rested during the week.

There are cabins with two Pullman beds. 

There are cabins with a sofa bed and a Pullman. 

Just FYI 

1 minute ago, wgeo said:

Have you priced out 2 rooms.  I’ve found that once the kids don’t qualify for the kids sail free it isn’t that much more to get two rooms instead of 1 and in some cases has actually been cheaper.

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

There are cabins with two Pullman beds. 

There are cabins with a sofa bed and a Pullman. 

Just FYI 

Thanks, and yes I did see those, however they were very hard to come by, perhaps I booked my cruise to late to get those rooms.  We only lucked into the room we did when I caught what must have been a cancelation.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Have you priced out 2 rooms.  I’ve found that once the kids don’t qualify for the kids sail free it isn’t that much more to get two rooms instead of 1 and in some cases has actually been cheaper.

Yes, we could get 2 interiors for close to the same price - however there were not 2 interiors that were close enough together to qualify.  We only booked 9 months before the cruise and that was not early enough for there to be enough rooms left to choose from I guess.

1 minute ago, wgeo said:

Yes, we could get 2 interiors for close to the same price - however there were not 2 interiors that were close enough together to qualify.  We only booked 9 months before the cruise and that was not early enough for there to be enough rooms left to choose from I guess.

Bummer.  Make sure when you are checking that you are not relying on their website as it doesn’t list all the available cabins.  Royals UK site does or call.  

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Bummer.  Make sure when you are checking that you are not relying on their website as it doesn’t list all the available cabins.  Royals UK site does or call.  

Appreciate that - I didn't call and was using various websites to check availability.  

However, we are very excited about the room we got, and to be honest since my daughter is still 13, I'm kind of happier to still have her in the same room as us.  I felt very lucky the day I was able to get into the room we did.

1 minute ago, wgeo said:

Appreciate that - I didn't call and was using various websites to check availability.  

However, we are very excited about the room we got, and to be honest since my daughter is still 13, I'm kind of happier to still have her in the same room as us.  I felt very lucky the day I was able to get into the room we did.

I’m surprised that it was still available 9 months out, they usually get sold pretty quickly.  

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’m surprised that it was still available 9 months out, they usually get sold pretty quickly.  

Yes, this is an Alaska cruise - I was incredibly surprised and forced my husband to make a very fast decision, as I was certain the room wouldn't be available for long.

I priced an additional interior vs adding passengers 5 and 6. The interior was about $400 more. There wouldn’t be the flexibility with cancellation with the additional interior. The extra bathroom would be nice though.