Blue Lagoon Beach Day or Stay on the Mariner??

scrappydoo

My friend and I will be on the Mariner of the Seas for 4nts the end of the month... We've both been to Nassau, and didn't really feel the need to have to go back. However, we were thinking about doing the Blue Lagoon Deluxe Beach Day through RCL because it does look quite nice in pictures. My question is this... Because we would already be going to CocoCay the next day, which is essentially a Beach Day -- is Blue Lagoon really worth it? Or would it be better to just stay onboard the Mariner and enjoy less crowds for the day?? Are Blue Lagoon and CocoCay really different experiences in any particular ways?? Any thoughts and insights would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!!

It's nice if you want a quiet day just to lounge around, eat and relax. They also have Dolphins (at an extra cost I believe) to view and/or swim with. There is live music and shallow water to wade in. Other then that there isn't much else going on. We just did the 4 day also on Mariner two weeks ago and the ship stayed in port until 1130PM. We had kids with us and enjoyed the day at the Atlantis Aqua Park.  The Blue Lagoon is NOTHING like Coco Cay by the way. Coco Cay was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! The water park wasn't yet open but we still enjoyed it immensely! Only negative was the stay wasn't long enough!  In the end it all depends on what you like to do. Blue Lagoon = quiet day, no locals to harass you - sun, drinks, food and beach. Coco Cay =  Many options, a DO NOT MISS stop. To be a bit more descriptive Blue Lagoon would be just one area of Coco Cay. Coco Cay has everything to straw market, jet ski's, food, bars, hammock area, dj area, two coves to swim in. The pool and bar area was NICE! Music a massive pool and a nice swim up bar. It was not crowded anywhere also.  So any choice you make you really can't go wrong, have a safe trip and enjoy!

-That was our 11th Cruise, mostly RCCL but have cruised Disney and NCL.

Edited by MrTibbs
added info
  • Like 2

MrTibbs,

Thank you so much for your input and insight... it helps immensely!! I appreciate it so. So both Blue Lagoon and CocoCay have the same clear, blue water...no difference there?

Out of curiosity, was the CocoCay pier operational yet or did you have to tender?

What did you think of the Mariner? I haven't been on RCL in 15yrs when I took my very first cruise! I've mostly done Princess and concentrated on the itineraries/ports...so this is sort of my first cruise where I'm going more for the boat (but the Bahamas don't hurt either). And I'm really excited about all the things to do on the Mariner, which is why I thought it wouldn't be too shabby to stay onboard with less passengers at Nassau.

Thanks again!

One side of the pier was open and operational so there are no more tenders. The waterpark wasn't finished at the time but I received news that it is now open and operational along with other areas that WERE NOT when we were in port.

Surprisingly Coco Cay's water was a bit on the chilly side but as hot as it was I found it to be timely. The pool water there was also on the colder side but once we got in we were fine. In regards to crystal clear water I'd say it wasn't quite there. It's a cove and with the people and the waves it kicked up sand but it was still nice. Blue Lagoon's water clarity I don't recall so it must of been ok. It had to have been warm also because my daughter was only 3 at the time and loved it.

The Mariner was very nice, the refurbishment came out A+ satisfactory. Nothing on the ship appeared old or dated including our Jr. Suite cabin.

Staying in Miami the day before the cruise was absolutely worthwhile if your considering it.  We enjoyed our cruise immensely and are still talking about it 3 weeks later!  

Thanks so much for sharing, cruisinsusin!! What did you think of Blue Lagoon? I'm thinking either way, it would be a nice morning on land. Were you on a ship excursion or did you go on your own?

Blue Lagoon you would do through your ship excursion.  Getting there on your own requires a taxi to Atlantis vs boarding right at the pier via ship excursion.  It's one of the few places it's better to just book through your ship.

The water is crystal clear at Blue Lagoon and it's an excellent beach day but nothing more than that.  The lagoon is pretty cool, the boat ride over, stunning blue water, it's definitely a nice day if you want to hang out on the beach and swim.  Since it's a lagoon, the swimming is as good as it gets.  White sand, clear water, no waves, shallow with a couple of deeper spots.  The water isn't stagnant in the lagoon, it comes in one side and out the other, which is why it's so nice.

On 5/8/2019 at 1:02 AM, scrappydoo said:

Thanks so much for sharing, cruisinsusin!! What did you think of Blue Lagoon? I'm thinking either way, it would be a nice morning on land. Were you on a ship excursion or did you go on your own?

I agree with AlexMar- we looked at DIY but it was a lot more effort than just booking the ship's excursion.There were 4 ships in port that day we really didnt want to have to compete with all that traffic and have to taxi over to get the ferry when it picks up on the pier for the cruise excursion. It was a really lovely beach day. My DH is a snorkeler and found some pretty decent snorkeling on the north beach ( you must wear a life vest so bring your own or rent for $5) - there are lifeguards there as well. The water was gorgeous and calm. We really enjoyed our day and would do it again if we had another Nassau port stop.

Has anyone been affected by jellyfish in CocoCay or Blue Lagoon?? I've read a number of folks who said that they got stung by jellyfish... Any areas I should avoid where they are more prevalent? Or is this a seasonal thing? I'll be there in just about 2 weeks! 😃

9 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I m a little concerned because the pictures I see for Blue Lagoon have it roped off quite close to shore. Is this beach just for kids and wading?

The main lagoon near where the ferries dock is shallow and good for kids. There are other beach areas further down that are not roped off. There is a reef off the north beach that has pretty good snorkeling.

12 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

The main lagoon near where the ferries dock is shallow and good for kids. There are other beach areas further down that are not roped off. There is a reef off the north beach that has pretty good snorkeling.

awesome, thank you!