Conquest Sept 21 2020 - Key West

mosiegirl

I will be on Conquest Sept 21 2020 and it stops in Key West.   I remember once hearing that there are two ports in Key West..   and when I sailed on the Imagination many years ago, the port it stopped at in Key West was a military post/port so you could not get off the ship unless you had an excursion booked..  you couldn't just get off and walk around..   For my upcoming cruise, how would I know which part of Key West it is going to port at?

When it ported at the base for our cruises, we got off without an excursion.  We were taken off and returned to the base in a group.  It's like a very easy on-land tender.😀  If I remember correctly, we used some sort of a trolley.   Key West is one of my favorite ports.  It's just so easy and fun.

We are looking at this same cruise for our girls trip next year! 

Ive also been to Key West many times including last month on the Paradise when we did dock at thr military base. 

There was no restriction on getting off the ship without an excursion. They had trolleys running to take everyone to Mallory Square pretty continuously when we first docked. Trolleys also departed from Mallory Square to go back to the ship every 15 min. yoi shouldn’t have any issues with this docking location even if you don’t have an excursion. But it is so much more convenient to dock at the other pier! 

My DH actually prefers being docked at the base.  There are free open trolleys that run back and forth from the ship to near the Key West Aquarium / Mallory Square.  From there we like to book a HOHO trolley.   We've been to Key West numerous times and sort of use the HOHO as a "taxi" from place to place we want to go (like an open air bar on the marina waterfront and Sloppy Joes)

DH has mobility issues and the walk is actually less for what we like to do if we dock at the base and trolley into the heart of town 😊.🛳️

Edited by summersigh