Holland America Baltic Excursions

Hi, Readinglady,

I don't have personal experience with HAL tours, but thought I'd give hearsay to help bump your question to the top!

We were on the ms Rotterdam last summer, Rotterdam-Copenhagen itinerary. I talked with several fellow pax who took HAL tours in SPb and elsewhere--they were very satisfied. That's about all I can say, except to offer my observation that we saw MORE for LESS with Denrus. Twice during our two days, we saw a HAL group at the same attraction we were visiting, and we arrived earlier, had a more intimate tour than the large HAL group, and left earlier by virtue of our ability to scoot in/out with ease and not deal with the needs and pace of a bus load. Over the course of a day, this meant we made it to a couple more attractions than the HAL group (and we were able to customize what we wanted to do and see).

You will read a lot of folks here talking about Denrus. Red October is also highly recommended, and if you search archives, a few other tour operator names will pop up. I think you should consider this option--but if you are hesitant, then of course, stick with HAL. There is so much to like about SPb, you will have two fabulous days.

If you do go with HAL, may I suggest you book your tours as soon as you decide which ones you want to take, as I do remember a couple of SPb options selling out.

readinglady: we did not use HAL for our St. Petersburg excursions but our tablemates did. They were complimentary about them.

We used Red October with 2 other couples and amongst the things I liked about RO was that we were able to move about more easily than large groups and we our guide did not have to yell to be heard by everyone in our group and we could get very close to a lot of exhibits. We also were able to access the Hermitage by a side entrance very easily and quickly.

We were also able to tailor our tour to our desires and our guide took us to a department store, grocery store and local restaurants, places that the ship tours did not get to visit, in addition to the "biggies". Also, we had an air conditioned van, so getting around was easy and fast.

We have enjoyed most HAL excursions we have taken and probably would have enjoyed theirs in St Petersburg as well, but I'm very glad we used RO.

• 2 weeks later...
readinglady: we did not use HAL for our St. Petersburg excursions but our tablemates did. They were complimentary about them.

QUOTE]

We used Den Rus by day and HAL by night. We wanted to see Yusopov palace but those on our Den Rus tour weren't interested. We really enjoyed Gala at Yusopov palace but were so exhausted from the day tour that we didn't feel we got our money's worth. It was professionally run and exactly as detailed by the excursion guide but pricey compared to our Den Rus tour. We saw more of St. Petersburg for half the price of those who took HAL tours with Den Rus and highly recommend it even though I was at odds with our guide. There were 7 of us and it made for a much more personal experience..I have my Den Rus and HAL excursion experience well detailed below under the HAL Rotterdam - Baltic 2005 link if you're interested.

Readinglady:

We were on the Westerdam last July and took the HAL "Glories of St. Petersburg" excursion the first day and the "Imperial St. Petersberg" the second day. Both tours began at 8:30 a.m. and ended at 5:30 p.m.

We thought they were wonderful. Very nice buses, excellent tour guides who got us in and out with minimal lines or waiting, very good lunches both days. For us both days were just right and met our expectations.

Willsot, Those are the two excursions that we are thinking of taking. I am so glad to hear that you were so pleased with them. Thank you for your response. We are getting so excited about our cruise in July. We are taking our daughters ages, 19.16 and 12 and I know that they will enjoy all of our excursions.:)

We were on the Westerdam last Sept. and enjoyed the cruise very much.

If I could go back and book a tour...I woud want to see JUST Peterhof.

If there was one place I wanted to spend more time at...it would be Peterhof and the fabulous gardens and FOUNTAINS.

The tour we went on gave us minus time to spend out in the gardens.:( :( :(

Willsot, I just found your August 6 post on your review of the Westerdam. It was so helpful to me and your reviews on the shore excursions were very informative. We were thinking of the same Berlin excursion and it sounds great. Your e-mail address would be great, but I don't know how to do that on this board. Thanks again for all of your advice.

Archived