Sofa beds, comfy for adults? Azura

Paddcomp

I'm thinking about booking Azura for next summer for a family of 4, 2 kids boy 16 and girl 11.  We don't like the idea of bunk beds, so our options appear to be 2 cabins or a sofa bed.  Now the kids would be a nightmare sharing a bed and constantly fighting, so our options would be Dad and son in twin beds and Mum and daughter on the sofa bed, or Mum and Dad on the sofa bed?  Both Dad and son are above average in size, okay I'm portly and son is tall, so worried if the sofa bed would be comfortable for 14 nights.

What are your experiences of sofa beds and what age / size of person slept on them?  

As we're thinking of booking a suite, I could also go for 2 balcony cabins next to each other for similar price.  Everyone gets a comfy bed, but it would feel like we're on separate holidays.

We've cruised before, but not loads, last cruise was 4 years ago and we had 2 inside cabins which worked well.  Kids are older now though.

I’ve stayed in a superior deluxe cabin on Ventura (Azura’s sister ship) with my mum and eldest son who was 20 at the time. The sofa bed is huge and very comfy, in fact I preferred it to the single bed! 

• Thanks 1

We’re just back from the Azura 27th - 4th and stayed in a superior deluxe cabin. My wife and I with our adult disabled son, the sofa bed turns into a very sturdy bed suitable for adults. Me and my son are big lads and the sofa bed was no problem. My wife and I slept in the main double bed most nights then swopped for the sofa just for a change. Slept well in both beds. We did ask for something to cover the metal mechanism where you enter the bed. When the bed is made up in the evening till it’s put back to a sofa after you’ve left in the morning it does cut down access to the balcony. 

• Thanks 1

Great replies, helped make the decision to book. Whilst the 2 cabin option seemed a good solution we've been enticed by the extras offered by the suite and being all together. 

I agree that in the morning the sofa bed restricts access to the balcony, on about the third day of our cruise we discovered that we could easily fold it back into a sofa ourselves. Then when we went for breakfast we folded it out again so that the bed could be made up by our steward! 

6 hours ago, Jules. said:

I agree that in the morning the sofa bed restricts access to the balcony, on about the third day of our cruise we discovered that we could easily fold it back into a sofa ourselves. Then when we went for breakfast we folded it out again so that the bed could be made up by our steward! 

I think the sofa is in a different room to the bed, curtained not walled, plus I'm sure the butler will put the bed away 😉

I’m sure it says not to move the sofa yourself..health and safety...etc but in a suite (as against superior deluxe balcony) the sofa bed down won’t be a problem..even if it’s down all day...We are on the May 18th Britannia Fjords cruise..suite and are looking forward to the extra space we have a accessible cabin and will be making a video for other users as we could not find one. Can’t wait...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paddcomp said:

I think the sofa is in a different room to the bed, curtained not walled, plus I'm sure the butler will put the bed away 😉

Ah that’ll teach me to read posts properly in future! 🤦🏼‍♀️

You’re booking a suite, how lovely! Enjoy 😎

1 hour ago, Jules. said:

Ah that’ll teach me to read posts properly in future! 🤦🏼‍♀️

You’re booking a suite, how lovely! Enjoy 😎

No problem. We're very excited, last cruise was inside cabins so quite a difference.