What would you like to see on the Challenger series?

flagger

Self-laundry facilities would also be nice.

I've been told that this would reduce Celebrity's 5 Star rating to a 4 Star so I doubt this will happen.

I agree though it would make it easier to cruise on longer voyages.

No flame for the truth!!!!

But PLEASE don't pass her on to another line! WE LOVE THE Z!!

Add Galaxy to the list for needing work.

Since you did a comparison of Princess and Celebrity, you should try HAL. Last year we cruised two weeks on Veendam and went directly to Zenith.

HAL's ships are much nicer. We thought Zenith was like a Motel 6/8 in comparison. Zenith's food, service, activites were first rate but after having spent a total of 8 weeks on her, I would not do it again.

To add this to my list for the Challenger:

As we remember the tragedy of the Challenger today... change the name both in honor of the dead, and as an ill omen.

Referring back to Zenith and Galaxy... get a new art director. Galaxy must have the ugliest art work on the seven seas and the other ships in the fleet are not much better. Get the guys who designed Michael's Club to decorate the whole ship.

First, I guess I don't understand what things that have to do with soda prices, photo prices, low cost internet service etc. have to do with new ships. Those are revenue issues and they will not change unless they make more money by changing and then it will be on all ships.

Now to issues that pertain. While we are also not fans of personal choice dining, there is a good chance it is coming. When we were on Infinity last Feb./Mar. we had a conversation with the manager of the SS United States. He had met with Michael Roux several times and was a part of plans that were underway for multiple theme restaurants, not speciality restaurants, that were going to be personal choice. People would have the option to move among the various restaurants. He said, at that time, the plans were for no traditional dining. When I said that many like Celebrity's traditional dining he said but the europeans do not and want personal choice.

Now, when I posted this when we returned from that cruise I got flamed pretty good. Some suggested I made it up and others suggested that some waiter told me. I am merely repeating what I was told. I realize that some have very emotional ties to traditional dining. Well, all the flaming then and possibly now isn't going to change what I was told and by whom, nor the real possibility that Celebrity is at least considering that direction.

I purposely let this thread go on without voicing my opinion...unusual as that sounds...lol.

I think we should forget about personal choice dining as we know it on NCL and Princess...it breeds mediocrity and really does not fulfill the purpose (I have experience with Princess).

I would love to see a larger specialty restaurant offering an American Breakfast, an Italian Lunch and a Continental Dinner. All the above offering the best quality possible; Breakfast $5.00, Lunch $15.00, Dinner $20.00... Have a limited Breakfast and Lunch menu in the main restaurant and have a great "knock your socks off" buffet Breakfast and Lunch in the food court...then have a fantastic dinner in the main dining room. Have the food court open at dinner the same way as it is done now. This system will keep almost everyone happy as quality will be maintained and those who want anytime dining will be able to have it...at a price. To expect perfection and quality while maintaining low cabin prices is not going to work.

The suite passengers should have their own private lounge just as RCI does it. This program works well for RCI and includes the Diamond members too which is a real plus as it rewards loyalty with real benefits.

ROSS

To elaborate on what I was told, the concept being considered is 5 or 6 restaurants each with a different theme. As I recall mentioned were Greek, Italian, French, and Oriental. There have been others. Again these are not speciality restaurants but for regular dining.

To elaborate on what I was told, the concept being considered is 5 or 6 restaurants each with a different theme. As I recall mentioned were Greek, Italian, French, and Oriental. There have been others. Again these are not speciality restaurants but for regular dining.
What are they turning this into? Epcot?

What are they turning this into? Epcot?

LOL !!!!!!!!

Seriously....I agree Canderson. If I want that style of Dining, I can go to Epcot. While I would not mind some new Dining choices in ADDITION to Assigned seating, it better not be the only option available to us. If it is, I probably wont be sailing on her.

While I am sure RJG41 is sincere.... Let's hope that Celebrity is not seriously considing this option.

Even though my husband and I usually book a suite or concierge class cabin, the idea of a special lounge for suites/concierge class does not appeal to me. In my opinion, it would be a step back to the days of a two class system. We book these cabins for their spaciousness and comfort, not to be elitist, and enjoy meeting and socializing with passengers from all cabins.

Even though my husband and I usually book a suite or concierge class cabin, the idea of a special lounge for suites/concierge class does not appeal to me. In my opinion, it would be a step back to the days of a two class system. We book these cabins for their spaciousness and comfort, not to be elitist, and enjoy meeting and socializing with passengers from all cabins.
I keep putting all of this into the context of more general travel. In this case, I would equate such a space to the lounges that the airlines provide for those who chose to pay the extra to make use of them. International 1st lounges, for example, often have something extra to eat and an open bar, comfortable seating, and internet workstations. You don't get any of that in the concourse. If one pays the extra, it would be nice to be afforded similar benefits.

I'm not suggesting that a person spend an entire cruise in this space -- just have it available.

There seems to some confusion...the Concierge Lounge on RCI is open to the Suite pax and the Diamond members. So if you have the least expensive inside cabin you can still join all the Suite pax in the Concierge Lounge if you have more than 10 cruises with RCI and you are a Diamond member. This is not elitist...it is simply good business to reward the loyal pax if RCI with something that is really tangible and IMO much more valuable than what X offers its Captain's Club Elite members. Would you call the pax who dine in the specialty restaurants elitist??? No...you would simply say that they are paying for something special...just the same way the Suite pax and the Diamond members are paying.

I agree with FLAGGER...the self laundry facilities on Princess are fantastic. You don't think you will use them but you end up doing just that. It is a wonderful convenience for those of us who spill, spot, stain and wrinkle.;

ROSS

a ship of about 60,000 ton with lots of balconies and an itinerary that includes Bermuda AND another stop. (Bahamas, Newport RI?)

Better Beds (i came home crippled from a cc bed on Constellation

more dinner choices, i like the italian/steakhouse/asian idea as long as the dress code is casual-maybe it could alternate on different nights-no charge.

dining room breakfast and lunch on port days.:D

Better hair dryers. I hate those hoover-type wall gadgets they call hair dryers. Where did that design ever come from?

Better bedding would be nice.

Shoe racks....that's a great idea, since my hubby always puts his shoes on top of mine.

Lights in the closets.

Looking forward to the new luxury Celebrity ship. I'm keeping my 2008 calendar open for it.

I'd like to see Celebrity continue to distinguish itself from other mainstream cruiselines, not get more like them. So although I'm a huge fan of the Specialty restaurants on the M-class (and am glad they're adding one to the Century and presumably Galaxy and Mercury in due course) I don't want to see a move to "anytime dining." From the discussions here it sounds as if they're considering keeping their traditional assigned times and tables in elegant dining rooms but just adding more Specialty restaurants as choices. Well, OK, but look at what's happened with Princess' newer ships where they're neither one nor the other. Celebrity should continue to emphasize tradition.

If it's supposed to be "upscale" Celebrity can also distinguish itself by building a ship with larger standard cabins with more amenities (bathtubs in all cabins, larger bathrooms, a larger sitting area, real King-sized beds) and fewer inside and standard outside cabins. This will help support Celebrity's recent moves to stop attracting bargain hunters. (I'm putting on my asbestos suit right now...;) ) Have we all noticed how the suites and CC cabins sell out first, before the other categories? Memo to X: that's what your most loyal passengers want, so give us more of them.

In terms of other physical features I'd just like to see more of what they do right: even larger spa/gym facilities; a dedicated cardroom, not just the tearoom that feels like an afterthought; top-deck lounges that don't have beds blocking the windows :rolleyes:; larger martini/champagne bars for that pre-dinner meet-up with friends. Maybe a "quiet" outdoor pool that doesn't have a band playing loudly while you're trying to read or chat or just relax. I don't need to hear Jamaican music while I'm in Alaska, for gosh sake!

In terms of service, it's not dependent on having a new ship but I agree with much of what's been said before: really enforce a dress code (which may be easier if there are more options for alternative dinner); NO ANNOUNCEMENTS unless the ship is currently sinking; enforce the no-children rule in the gym/spa area and in the new adults only "quiet" outdoor pool area (see above); enforce the no-chair-hogging rule, but also have enough chairs for everyone.

In other words, strive to live up to your billing of being an elegant cruise experience that is different from your competitors, while not being out of reach. With all these things taken care of, I don't need a concierge lounge to "escape" from everyone else, the entire ship will be a pleasant place to be! :)

I'd like to see Celebrity continue to distinguish itself from other mainstream cruiselines, not get more like them. So although I'm a huge fan of the Specialty restaurants on the M-class (and am glad they're adding one to the Century and presumably Galaxy and Mercury in due course) I don't want to see a move to "anytime dining." From the discussions here it sounds as if they're considering keeping their traditional assigned times and tables in elegant dining rooms but just adding more Specialty restaurants as choices. Well, OK, but look at what's happened with Princess' newer ships where they're neither one nor the other. Celebrity should continue to emphasize tradition.

If it's supposed to be "upscale" Celebrity can also distinguish itself by building a ship with larger standard cabins with more amenities (bathtubs in all cabins, larger bathrooms, a larger sitting area, real King-sized beds) and fewer inside and standard outside cabins. This will help support Celebrity's recent moves to stop attracting bargain hunters. (I'm putting on my asbestos suit right now...;) ) Have we all noticed how the suites and CC cabins sell out first, before the other categories? Memo to X: that's what your most loyal passengers want, so give us more of them.

In terms of other physical features I'd just like to see more of what they do right: even larger spa/gym facilities; a dedicated cardroom, not just the tearoom that feels like an afterthought; top-deck lounges that don't have beds blocking the windows :rolleyes:; larger martini/champagne bars for that pre-dinner meet-up with friends. Maybe a "quiet" outdoor pool that doesn't have a band playing loudly while you're trying to read or chat or just relax. I don't need to hear Jamaican music while I'm in Alaska, for gosh sake!

In terms of service, it's not dependent on having a new ship but I agree with much of what's been said before: really enforce a dress code (which may be easier if there are more options for alternative dinner); NO ANNOUNCEMENTS unless the ship is currently sinking; enforce the no-children rule in the gym/spa area and in the new adults only "quiet" outdoor pool area (see above); enforce the no-chair-hogging rule, but also have enough chairs for everyone.

In other words, strive to live up to your billing of being an elegant cruise experience that is different from your competitors, while not being out of reach. With all these things taken care of, I don't need a concierge lounge to "escape" from everyone else, the entire ship will be a pleasant place to be! :)

Hi Brucedou.....I agree with you :)

Brucemcdou: If it's supposed to be "upscale" Celebrity can also distinguish itself by building a ship with larger standard cabins with more amenities (bathtubs in all cabins, larger bathrooms, a larger sitting area, real King-sized beds) and fewer inside and standard outside cabins. This will help support Celebrity's recent moves to stop attracting bargain hunters. (I'm putting on my asbestos suit right now...;) ) Have we all noticed how the suites and CC cabins sell out first, before the other categories? Memo to X: that's what your most loyal passengers want, so give us more of them.

Sky Sweet: The Baltic Cruise we have booked for this summer on the Constellation illustrates what you just posted. As of this morning, all of its suites, with the exception of a sky suite, all of its concierge class cabins, and all of its verandah cabins are already booked. Aside from that sky suite, the only cabins still available on this cruise are ocean view cabins on the lowest deck, and inside cabins. This is based on information from Celebrity's website.

When we are not a a ship, we normally stay on a club floor at a good hotel. It is not the snob idea at all. We pay a bit more for our room, but usually have some extras that are worth it, like drinks, snacks, etc. So, I see no reason why that could not be offered on a ship as well.

Also, I like the personal choice, or whatever it is called dining. We always look for options on Celebrity so we are not at the same table every night.

So, choice are nice. The speciality restaurant certainly is a welcome addition

I keep putting all of this into the context of more general travel. In this case, I would equate such a space to the lounges that the airlines provide for those who chose to pay the extra to make use of them. International 1st lounges, for example, often have something extra to eat and an open bar, comfortable seating, and internet workstations. You don't get any of that in the concourse. If one pays the extra, it would be nice to be afforded similar benefits.

I'm not suggesting that a person spend an entire cruise in this space -- just have it available.

Your response made me rethink my original post about a concierge lounge, and I now agree with you.

Archived