ground transportation

cornhusker

We are going on the SDII leaving St. Thomas on Jan 29th ( WOW...less than one week...I can't wait!!). What is everyone's opinion regarding ground transportation? Our plane lands at the airport in St Thomas around 1pm. Should we just take a taxi to the ship? How do we know where to tell the driver to go? Or do most of you arrange for a driver to pick you up? It seems like most of you have a lot of good advice for first time cruisers, so I thought I would throw this one out there...

Thanks!

There is really no need to book a driver.

Depending on how crowded the airport is when you arrive, you will probably share a taxi van with up to 6 others. The drivers know where the various ships are docked each day.

The cost, with luggage charges, is about $20.

The ride will either be 5 minutes to Crown Bay, or 15 minutes to Havensite.

Bare with the seemingly unorganized confusion of ST Thomas for the time it takes to get to Sea Dream. Once you embark, you will quickly forget....

The previous poster was correct. You take your luggage to the taxi stand outside and the starter sets up rides with similar destinations. Cost is per passenger plus each bag. No tipping required (or expected?). Prices are high enough.

The system really does work but make sure that you bring some small bills and singles.

Although you don't get to vote on where you lsail from, both spots have advantages and disadvantages.

Crown Bay is closer; and the cab can drive almost up to the ship. But there are no stores or facilities.

Havensite is a little further away. If there are big ships in, the security is a zoo. There is only one gate open for all passsengers and luggage and it can take a while to get yourself and your luggage (they have porters) to the ship.

But there is very good shopping and the stores stay open late on Sunday (I think they close at 1:00 pm downtown).

Also, when you return, DO NOT arrange for a taxi in advance for an extra fee unless you need to leave very early. There will be plenty of taxis. Also, if your plane is late in the day, you can leave your baggage with the ship and take a taxi downtown for shopping (or walk around Havensite) and then take a taxi back to the ship, have him wait while you get your luggage and continue on to the airport (you will need to negotiate the price because they will want to charge for two trips).

Archived