CArnival Holiday?

Marcie1123

My husband and I are taking a cruise in June. I am looking at the Carnival Holiday, out of Mobile, AL. I know it is a smaller, older ship but since we have never even SEEN a cruise ship, we've been told this will be perfect. (We say 'perfect' because we can drive to Mobile and not have air expense...) What does everyone think? Is this a good choice (the ports are Costa Maya and Cozumel)? Or should I go bigger? From what I hear/ read, this probably won't be my last cruise, anyway! :-)

Thanks!

Marcie1123

Hi Marcie, and welcome to the boards.:) The Holiday happens to be my very favorite ship! Yep, she's the smallest and oldest of Carnival's present fleet - but I've found the best service, friendliest staff and crew, and by far the best food of any of my cruises. All of my cruises on the Holiday have been out of N.O., but I plan one more on her sometime in the future. I'm hoping they will return their same staff and crew to the Holiday, once she leaves FEMA service and goes for refurbishment. The production shows have been absolutely wonderful and very entertaining.

For your first cruise, I think the Holiday will be absolutely perfect. There's something about a smaller ship that seems more intimate, and you can find your way around her very easily. Anything specific you want to know, I can probably help.

My first real cruise was Carnival Tropicale back in 98. The TA did her best to discourage us and tried to sell us a more expensive cruise-but we were not sure we wanted to spend a bunch of money on a cruise as we were not sure if we would enjoy it that much. Many years before that we had done this budget Seaescape thing and it was awful-the only reason we were even considering a cruise was because we wanted to go to Mexico and I did not want to fly.

Well guess what-we loved that cruise! and it certainly "hooked" us. (look at my signature 10 cruises so far) Since then we have been on much nicer ships and also other old ships-and I have loved every cruise.

We actually considered booking Holiday this winter-as we are taking friends-first time cruisers on a cruise-but ofcourse right now FEMA has leased Holiday so we ended up booking Celebrity Zenith. Now it is out of Miami so we will be flying-but this is our first Celebrity cruise so we are excited.

But heck we would still cruise Holiday-so who knows? maybe next year. I say go for it.

Thanks for the info! New Question: We are planning this cruise for June- and I know how hot it is in alabama in June- are we going to roast if we travel in the summer? I mean, is it unbearably hot? I imagine there is a nice "sea breeze" blowing but what about ports?

:D Our heat will follow you!

I usually cruise in September, and it's pretty hot, maybe I should VERY warm, but not unbearably so, as we have here. Tropical climates are like that, y'know, even with those balmy breezes. Just take very lightweight clothing.

Welcome to cruise critic! :D I loved this ship and it was just the right size for our first cruises! They had a activites host named Risa she was wonderful ! I had so much fun on the Holiday and the Jubilee! all the way up to the glory we are on our 5th cruise now and like you said it will not be your last! Also another place you might want to check out additional things is www.cruiseclues.com it is a pretty good board this is my favriote by far though ! Cotton has cruised the Holiday a many of times so any info she gives use! Have a great time

I don't know which ship Risa Barnes is on now, but she was the Cruise Director on one of my Holiday cruises a coupla years ago. I enjoyed her more than any other CD I've seen. She's a good ole suthe'n gal - and was lots of fun. She was all over the ship - like Julie McCoy!:D

Been on her twice and since my wife is a ta we have seen and sold many ships.

She is definetly older and showing it but the most intimate and well served ship Carnival has! I would sail her again. Don't expect an elaborate atrium with a skyline and elevators. Sorry she doesn't have that but you will still enjoy your cruise. I hope they do her justice in the dock.

Archived