Type of day time clothes needed for Alaska cruise

MillieMeter

I am uncertain as to what day time clothes to take on the 14 day Alaskan cruise.  We are also doing the pre- cruise in Denali.  I am referring to clothes for excursions, etc. My travel agent did not mention a Seabourn jacket.  Do we need waterproof pants or waterproof hiking boots?  Our trip is for early September.  Also some time ago someone suggested booking your own excursions that those provided by Seabourn were not that good.  Does anyone have a suggestion for private or small group tours?

Hi Millie.  You should receive an email from SB (regardless of whether you have a TA) about the SB jacket.  I believe we received the email about two months before our embarkation date (we go June 17).  For your date in Sept, you still have time before SB emails you.  For clothing, there is a list I saw somewhere, but here’s one. https://seabourn.shiptoshoretraveler.com/rentals/alaska-sbn. If you ski or live in a cold climate, you may have some/most of the stuff.  But for everything, just go to Dick’s Sporting Goods or other sporting goods shop for whatever you need.  Convenient to just buy from the website link I sent, but better selection in a store, plus you get to try on.  We got everything on the list, just to be sure we are prepared.  (And hope to use for new expedition ship.)  So yeah, waterproof gear seems essential for the excursions that are described.  And layers - to keep warm and peel off as needed.  As for excursions, we booked all thru SB this time.  Usually we do a combo of SB and private, but this time we just didn’t feel like booking privately as this is the first cruise where the excursions mostly all look pretty fabulous.   And prices looked reasonable, although I will admit I didn’t compare to private. 

Enjoy. 

Edited by Hobar

Weather can be variable in Alaska cruising season , so also bring some of your Alabama lighter clothing for potential sunny days, though statistically September is cooler.  

What you need beyond a waterproof jacket with hood  and shoes for rain so your sox do not get wet in a puddle in Denali, (though not necessarily need boots) will depend on the intensity of the excursions you do.

Plan on layers below the jacket. Do not forget a good travel umbrella that is wind resistant, cap, gloves,  daypack that is rain resistant, sunglasses, bug spray.

If all you do on excursions is sit on a sightseeing bus or climb onto a Misty Fjords seaplane, or boat,  or helo, or a bumpy schoolbus in Denali, or walk the town to look at shops and eat chowder, you will not need trekking poles and waterproof pants.

Excursions are cheaper privately for most places and available through major travel websites, often through the same major vendors SB contracts with, but Alaska only has so many vendors at cruise ports so book in advance and understand cancellation terms.