Visa Question via NCL

MichelleLiebler

Hello,

Apologies if I am posting in the wrong place as this is my first post.

My husband, almost one year old son and I are on the Norwegian Sky for a cruise to Havana next month. Who has done this cruise and used the “Support for the Cuban People” reasoning?

I would like to select this option as the group People to People option is not something we want to do - with our young son, a long group tour with pre-determined stops is not ideal. Instead, we plan to book a private car tour through a local company, eat at private paladors, etc. I am quite sure that this is OFAC compliant after doing my research.

However, NCL is giving us a hard time and not allowing us to select this as a reason. I am pretty sure this is because we are trying to purchase the visa through them, since it’s really not legal for them to stop us from using “Support for the Cuban People”.

So then we can just purchase the visa through an outside company, that’s fine. But what is the process like to disembark the ship? I am reading horror stories of people being held up by the cruise line (not by customs) when trying to select “Support for the Cuban People” - is this only because they are trying to get their visas through the cruise line? Or is NCL doing visa/affidavit checks before allowing you off the ship, even if you purchase the visa from an outside source?

Hopefully this question makes sense - I appreciate any insight you all have.

Mark what they want you to mark. Once off the ship nobody cares and nobody will check. They do this to try and force you to buy over priced ship excursions. Was there last Dec. with Oceania and immigration only wanted the visa, they did not even look at them. Search this topic and you will see many responses. Don’t worry and have fun.

• Like 1